2022 Draft Class

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dangler
MVP
MVP

Re: 2022 Draft Class

Post by dangler »

Common consensus is to draft BPA, but Canucks desperately need some depth D-men.
Even though it didn't work out last time (Juolevi) they did it, i hope they go this route.
UFA's are just too expensive in a salary cap league, and RHD's are scarce.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

dangler wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:23 am Common consensus is to draft BPA, but Canucks desperately need some depth D-men.
Even though it didn't work out last time (Juolevi) they did it, i hope they go this route.
The Kings are loaded on the right side. Could be a deal to be made there. I still say BPA. The 2014 and 2016 picks haunt this team. I wouldn’t be against dropping 5-8 spots if they could squeeze antother 2nd and 4th from someone. Brad Treliving kept picking up extra picks one draft just by dropping a couple spots in the order. We need quality and depth in the prospect puddle.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

dangler wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:23 am Common consensus is to draft BPA, but Canucks desperately need some depth D-men.
Gotta go with best player available, and with any luck/skill that player makes someone redundant and who is still has enough value to trade for whatever the team lacks.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Arbour wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:49 pm
Gotta go with best player available, and with any luck/skill that player makes someone redundant and who is still has enough value to trade for whatever the team lacks.
So you think ANY team with a Young talented d-man on a elc is going to trade him?
Doesn't happen unless your over paying
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ok so who we drafting in this tire fire of a draft class? Mukhamedullins brother?

I know nobody where we will be drafting

I notice it’s been two seasons since Mukhamedullin was drafted and still nowhere near the NHL. How has JT Miller done for us since that trade?

Need I say more? It’s starts with a B?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mukameduhlin was chosen in 2020. What does he have to do with this draft?

It’s an average draft class similar to 2017. Should get a solid prospect at 15. I hope when they deal JT though, that they focus on a 2023 first rounder as part of the package. That draft is loaded.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:10 am Mukameduhlin was chosen in 2020. What does he have to do with this draft?

It’s an average draft class similar to 2017. Should get a solid prospect at 15. I hope when they deal JT though, that they focus on a 2023 first rounder as part of the package. That draft is loaded.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

:lol:

It just never stops being funny. I can't help laughing
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:31 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:10 am Mukameduhlin was chosen in 2020. What does he have to do with this draft?

Like Gatti vs Ward, trading blows but instead 3 bouts it’s endless
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Arbour wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:49 pm
As mentioned elsewhere (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12486&hilit=best+pl ... &start=150, but ignored because the question of exactly how stoned you could get on cold medicine* was considered more interesting at the time), one of the underlying assumptions of the 'Best Player Available' draft strategy is that you can always trade the highly-talented player you Have for the highly-talented player you Need in a straight up, fair market value hockey trade (though likely in another conference). However, UWSaint, who impresses me as a thoughtful poster, asserted that those deals are rare, because they're hard to make. That then seems to me like an argument for drafting for organizational need, and trading up or down the draft order to try to maximize the value of the draft pick. That's certainly the way most NFL teams seem to do it.

If Miller's contract demands turn out to be beyond the scope of what the management group is will to part with, then that will make an interest test case in terms of whether the Canucks can get value -- with particular reference to perceived team need (and we have seen posts recently that the management group sees the same needs that CC does) -- in return on the trade.

As ever, I will be interested to read your explanations of why I'm wrong.

*turns out is was covid brain fog
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:54 am .....but ignored because the question of exactly how stoned you could get on cold medicine* was considered more interesting at the time)......
Ultimately I doubt more interesting but rather more palatable in the moment (remember we're in a bar together here) and you need be prepared for wandering conversation(s) to occur for evermore at this here GDHTMB...it's been the path for 30 years and will never change.

Not sure if snide was your intent (or not) but it comes across that way which is unlikely to garner legitimate responses when led with, especially here.
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:54 am However, UWSaint, who impresses me as a thoughtful poster....
You're not alone. We all regard UW in this manner and have so for what, 25 years? Since whenever he arrived at the old barn anyway.

But, he is unique, as we all are. I don't suppose you meant to imply that we should all regard posting a la the Saint but facts are you will get what you get in terms of responses to your posts. Just as I and all others will in a similar vein.

Filter through them as you will.
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:54 am That then seems to me like an argument for drafting for organizational need, and trading up or down the draft order to try to maximize the value of the draft pick.
I draft BPA (in the NHL/NBA/MLB) because I think that he, (if I'm allowed to say that in 2022), as an overall asset better serves us as not only a potential player for the Canucks but also as a card to play in the "just needs a change of scenery" trade game should things go sidewise.

Like say Stojanov for Naslund (a rarity yes but it happened...and no, this is not meant to imply that Alex was the BPA at the time).
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:54 am That's certainly the way most NFL teams seem to do it.
I think this to be not the only time you've made this reference RG. I don't believe the NFL to be a good comparable because you can realistically obtain up to high value through all 7 rounds at any position. So you can wander off BPA (although these players are admittedly oftenmost taken through the top of the draft...for arguments sake the initial 10 or 15 picks) and still obtain solid net worth at all areas of positional need.

My argument is perhaps not as strong when idiotic teams take Jared Goff first overall though.
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:54 am As ever, I will be interested to read your explanations of why I'm wrong.
Not sure what you intend with this?

Opinions are opinions.
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:54 am *turns out is was covid brain fog
Laid this out for a nice CC style jab but I'll defer this time because, well, I'm a helluva guy...
DeLevering since 1999.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

donlever wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:51 am Ultimately I doubt more interesting but rather more palatable in the moment (remember we're in a bar together here) and you need be prepared for wandering conversation(s) to occur for evermore at this here GDHTMB...it's been the path for 30 years and will never change.

Not sure if snide was your intent (or not) but it comes across that way which is unlikely to garner legitimate responses when led with, especially here.
Thanks for the tip. Over 14 years, now (if you include the old site) and I still don't have the tone right.
donlever wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:51 am Laid this out for a nice CC style jab but I'll defer this time because, well, I'm a helluva guy...
That you are.
Last edited by Ronning's Ghost on Sat May 21, 2022 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Ha...not sure a tip (wtf am I to give advice to grown men)...moreso a simple comment.

The old mod in me ekes his way out on occasion.
DeLevering since 1999.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Man, JB really wanted a D-man in that Olaf draft, but some pretty good top 4 D-men went right after him (ie: Sergechev, McAvoy, Chychrum). Even some lesser knowns like Jake Bean, Dante Fabro, Logan Stanley and Dennis Cholowski each have more NHL games under their belts than JuJu. :(
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:17 pm
Man, JB really wanted a D-man in that Olaf draft, but some pretty good top 4 D-men went right after him (ie: Sergechev, McAvoy, Chychrum). Even some lesser knowns like Jake Bean, Dante Fabro, Logan Stanley and Dennis Cholowski each have more NHL games under their belts than JuJu. :(
Yes.

But is that evidence against the premise that Benning was a drafting genius, or was what would otherwise have been a brilliant career sidelined by an unfortunate series of early injuries from which he never fully recovered?

Does the name Josh Holden trigger PTSD in any posters here?