Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:34 pm
Micky wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:56 pm Gaffar on Twitter reporting Leivo is now listening to other team's offers.

Well, we can't sign everyone and in reality he is kind of a project. Guys like this take the brunt of the cost cutting.
Fuck Leivo.
Yeah Leivo is done here
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Micky wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:56 pm Gaffar on Twitter reporting Leivo is now listening to other team's offers.

Well, we can't sign everyone and in reality he is kind of a project. Guys like this take the brunt of the cost cutting.
I don't get the Leivo hype. He's 27 turning 28 in May, I wouldn't say he's a project at this point, and I thought he should have produced more considering the 15+ minutes in ice time he's been averaging per game since joining the Canucks. That's more minutes than Virtanen gets and Leivo also played a decent amount on Pettersson's line along the way yet Virtanen actually looked better there than Leivo did. Goldobin played better with Pettersson too IMO.

The guy can sure fish pucks out, good hand eye I guess, but I'd rather see a younger player or better player Leivo's age in that roster spot.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Micky wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:24 am
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:47 pm However you want to characterize it, it's disappointing. To me at least. I guess I was hoping sanity would prevail after multiple setbacks last season. Ferland seems like a rare case of a player who does not care about being able to enjoy his family and the money he has earned in reasonable health post playing career. The first thing he does upon return is seemingly to look for a good fighter on the the other team to challenge.

Contrast this with Antoine Roussel's ultra cautious approach. He makes no pretense about being able to play the way he did in his pre concussion days. He has flatly ruled it out, and good for him. Ferland, I do not understand. It's a lose/lose situation for Ferland, and for the Canucks.
Getting into a fight in his very first game of his team's first playoffs in years, under pain staking, unprecedented circumstances by the league just to get
to game one was just plain goofy. What was he thinking and if he was trying to prove something, to who?

There were comments earlier in the season by Ferland, that he didn't think he needed to fight to be an effective player.
The Canucks took a lot of flak from fans of other NHL teams last year for repeatedly throwing Ferland back into action and getting negative results over and over again. And you couldn't really defend it either, it was kind of embarrassing going through it. And sadly, it appears as though we aren't yet done.
el rey del mambo
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:53 pm
Micky wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:24 am
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:47 pm However you want to characterize it, it's disappointing. To me at least. I guess I was hoping sanity would prevail after multiple setbacks last season. Ferland seems like a rare case of a player who does not care about being able to enjoy his family and the money he has earned in reasonable health post playing career. The first thing he does upon return is seemingly to look for a good fighter on the the other team to challenge.

Contrast this with Antoine Roussel's ultra cautious approach. He makes no pretense about being able to play the way he did in his pre concussion days. He has flatly ruled it out, and good for him. Ferland, I do not understand. It's a lose/lose situation for Ferland, and for the Canucks.
Getting into a fight in his very first game of his team's first playoffs in years, under pain staking, unprecedented circumstances by the league just to get
to game one was just plain goofy. What was he thinking and if he was trying to prove something, to who?

There were comments earlier in the season by Ferland, that he didn't think he needed to fight to be an effective player.
The Canucks took a lot of flak from fans of other NHL teams last year for repeatedly throwing Ferland back into action and getting negative results over and over again. And you couldn't really defend it either, it was kind of embarrassing going through it. And sadly, it appears as though we aren't yet done.
I didn’t hear about the Canucks getting any flak. I mean they didn’t repeatedly throw him back into action. He started the season with some sort of virus and just when he started to look bette he got a concussion on a weak jab from Clifford. Then he tried halfway though the season on his own accord and played one period in Utica. After that he works out like a demon and gets back in shape only to get injured again after picking a fight with the Wild’s toughest player. I am baffled as to why anyone would blame the Canucks in this situation. The guy is a red blooded Canadian. He wants to play.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:34 pm

Fuck Leivo.
He's still here? People actually give a fck?
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Gotta agree with Doyle here. Ferland wanted to play and did everything he could to be in the lineup.

You can't blame the team for letting him try. It was Ferland's decision.

BUT, this should really be it if he suffers one more setback. The team has to do what's in his best interest, even if he doesn't agree.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:08 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:53 pm The Canucks took a lot of flak from fans of other NHL teams last year for repeatedly throwing Ferland back into action and getting negative results over and over again. And you couldn't really defend it either, it was kind of embarrassing going through it. And sadly, it appears as though we aren't yet done.
I didn’t hear about the Canucks getting any flak. I mean they didn’t repeatedly throw him back into action. He started the season with some sort of virus and just when he started to look bette he got a concussion on a weak jab from Clifford. Then he tried halfway though the season on his own accord and played one period in Utica. After that he works out like a demon and gets back in shape only to get injured again after picking a fight with the Wild’s toughest player. I am baffled as to why anyone would blame the Canucks in this situation. The guy is a red blooded Canadian. He wants to play.
He ate a pretty decent punch actually, it popped his helmet clean off. Would have made for a decent hockey fight pic had he not been concussed by it. Was shut down again we he returned to working out and then played a period in Utica without any real contact and was out again long term with recurring symptom. It was only after returning yet again for the playoffs and the symptoms resurfacing once more that the flak on NHL boards started. I couldn't really take issue with much of it, it was a bad look.

He's definitely a Canadian, indigenous even.
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Carl Yagro wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:14 pm Gotta agree with Doyle here. Ferland wanted to play and did everything he could to be in the lineup.

You can't blame the team for letting him try. It was Ferland's decision.

BUT, this should really be it if he suffers one more setback. The team has to do what's in his best interest, even if he doesn't agree.
It's question of where to draw the line I guess. He has had numerous chances within the year.

And multiple setbacks. It's not looking great.
el rey del mambo
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:19 pm He ate a pretty decent punch actually, it popped his helmet clean off. Would have made for a decent hockey fight pic had he not been concussed by it. Was shut down again we he returned to working out and then played a period in Utica without any real contact and was out again long term with recurring symptom. It was only after returning yet again for the playoffs and the symptoms resurfacing once more that the flak on NHL boards started. I couldn't really take issue with much of it, it was a bad look.

He's definitely a Canadian, indigenous even.
A decent punch? Ronnie Delorme and Craig Coxe beg to differ ;)
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:02 pm
ESQ wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:15 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:12 am All of that will happen. In the end, if he is medically cleared, its his choice. Now the Canucks can ask him not to fight, tell him actually. But he will play the way he plays best. After all, one hard hit can cause just as much damage as we have already seen with him. Lets hope this long delay will really help him.
This is the problem - if they tell him NOT to fight (which I would assume they did after his last come-back took 6 months and many setbacks), but he does anyway, the team is screwed by having the cap space not LTIRed to start the season.

If he won't agree to play in a reasonably less-risky manner, or if he agrees and is put back in the roster but fights ...again..., that may be grounds for termination.
Termination?

Holy fuck. When did this sport turn into tummysticks??? They signed him to play hockey. That can no more terminate Ferlund for fighting than they can terminate Louise for NOT scoring
Ya know, as you say that, I'm trying to think of a game in this past playoffs where I saw an actual scrap. I didn't watch every series, but I can't recall even seeing a highlight of any fisticuffs. I can't remember a single NHL playoffs where nobody dropped the gloves at least once a round. Correct me if I'm wrong.....

My point is, I'm wondering if there has been a strict mandate handed down from the league that has banned fighting during Covid-19.

In which case, termination might actually be a thing.....brave new world and all. :P
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:29 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:02 pm
ESQ wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:15 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:12 am All of that will happen. In the end, if he is medically cleared, its his choice. Now the Canucks can ask him not to fight, tell him actually. But he will play the way he plays best. After all, one hard hit can cause just as much damage as we have already seen with him. Lets hope this long delay will really help him.
This is the problem - if they tell him NOT to fight (which I would assume they did after his last come-back took 6 months and many setbacks), but he does anyway, the team is screwed by having the cap space not LTIRed to start the season.

If he won't agree to play in a reasonably less-risky manner, or if he agrees and is put back in the roster but fights ...again..., that may be grounds for termination.
Termination?

Holy fuck. When did this sport turn into tummysticks??? They signed him to play hockey. That can no more terminate Ferlund for fighting than they can terminate Louise for NOT scoring
Ya know, as you say that, I'm trying to think of a game in this past playoffs where I saw an actual scrap. I didn't watch every series, but I can't recall even seeing a highlight of any fisticuffs. I can't remember a single NHL playoffs where nobody dropped the gloves at least once a round. Correct me if I'm wrong.....

My point is, I'm wondering if there has been a strict mandate handed down from the league that has banned fighting during Covid-19.

In which case, termination might actually be a thing.....brave new world and all. :P
Did you see WHL fight highlights in the brief window after covid hit but before they shut it down. They fought with their gloves on and tried to avoid tying up. Couple of good bellylaughs were had there. :)
el rey del mambo
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Reading the tone of the Province article today, I think everybody sees an inevitability with Ferland and I just hope they make the obvious call fairly soon.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:02 pm Termination?

The only one I can think of was...Ferland vs Marcus Foligno ;)
el rey del mambo
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Its not about a league-wide message. The team owes a duty of care to Ferland - he, in particular, is extremely susceptible to head injury.

The duty of care might be high enough, with the medical evidence already accrued, to tell Ferland he's done. If its against his wishes, I'd love to see the PA try to grieve it - what, you want him to be able to get more head injuries??

Teams got sued for encouraging enforcers to go fight, but also for negligence in letting them go into a situation where repeated bareknuckle blows to the head was reasonably foreseeable.

Can you imagine a more negligent act than letting Ferland go back on the ice to play old time Eddie Shore hockey, after not being able to play more than 60 minutes of hockey in 4 attempts across 8 months?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:27 pm
Micky wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:24 am There were comments earlier in the season by Ferland, that he didn't think he needed to fight to be an effective player.
For the record, he said he needs to "pick and choose" when to fight.
For the record, he also said that.
"evolution"