Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I see Blobbee still thinks the way to win in today’s NHL is the Broad Street Bullies.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:19 am I see Blobbee still thinks the way to win in today’s NHL is the Broad Street Bullies.
Any facts to back this up? :?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

I like the Hawryluk signing. Right age bracket. Right price. Good roll of the dice for the bottom 6. If he performs, he gets some term and cash. If not, Benning can look around next summer for the next low-ante gamble. If he pans out, folks like Roussel should start looking over their shoulder.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:47 pm However you want to characterize it, it's disappointing. To me at least. I guess I was hoping sanity would prevail after multiple setbacks last season. Ferland seems like a rare case of a player who does not care about being able to enjoy his family and the money he has earned in reasonable health post playing career. The first thing he does upon return is seemingly to look for a good fighter on the the other team to challenge.

Contrast this with Antoine Roussel's ultra cautious approach. He makes no pretense about being able to play the way he did in his pre concussion days. He has flatly ruled it out, and good for him. Ferland, I do not understand. It's a lose/lose situation for Ferland, and for the Canucks.
Getting into a fight in his very first game of his team's first playoffs in years, under pain staking, unprecedented circumstances by the league just to get
to game one was just plain goofy. What was he thinking and if he was trying to prove something, to who?

There were comments earlier in the season by Ferland, that he didn't think he needed to fight to be an effective player.
"evolution"
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Micky wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:24 am
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:47 pm However you want to characterize it, it's disappointing. To me at least. I guess I was hoping sanity would prevail after multiple setbacks last season. Ferland seems like a rare case of a player who does not care about being able to enjoy his family and the money he has earned in reasonable health post playing career. The first thing he does upon return is seemingly to look for a good fighter on the the other team to challenge.

Contrast this with Antoine Roussel's ultra cautious approach. He makes no pretense about being able to play the way he did in his pre concussion days. He has flatly ruled it out, and good for him. Ferland, I do not understand. It's a lose/lose situation for Ferland, and for the Canucks.
Getting into a fight in his very first game of his team's first playoffs in years, under pain staking, unprecedented circumstances by the league just to get
to game one was just plain goofy. What was he thinking and if he was trying to prove something, to who?

There were comments earlier in the season by Ferland, that he didn't think he needed to fight to be an effective player.
While you have to admire Ferland's will to compete and desire to play, someone really needs to step up and talk to him about his health. Morally I am not sure if the Canucks should even let him come back to 'give it one more go.' For the sake of his long term health, there really needs to be an open discussion between him, his doctor's and the team.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

All of that will happen. In the end, if he is medically cleared, its his choice. Now the Canucks can ask him not to fight, tell him actually. But he will play the way he plays best. After all, one hard hit can cause just as much damage as we have already seen with him. Lets hope this long delay will really help him.
The only HW the Canucks need
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Ferland has shown the ability put up a few goals/points - was a 40pt. player the last few "healthy" seasons - and is likely good to put up more than 15-18 goals in a season if he plays a good portion of it (especially in the top 6). Big IF for sure. At 3.5mil that's not bad production - so even if he doesn't fight/hit like a train - he can still be a useful contributor.

Perhaps even concentrating on point producing might elevate these numbers. This is probably the salary range JV will get (2.7-3.2mil is my guess) - so they are likely the two competing for the same top 6 position I guess. I'd be fine either way, but it certainly is a big IF.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Gaffar on Twitter reporting Leivo is now listening to other team's offers.

Well, we can't sign everyone and in reality he is kind of a project. Guys like this take the brunt of the cost cutting.
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:12 am All of that will happen. In the end, if he is medically cleared, its his choice. Now the Canucks can ask him not to fight, tell him actually. But he will play the way he plays best. After all, one hard hit can cause just as much damage as we have already seen with him. Lets hope this long delay will really help him.
This is the problem - if they tell him NOT to fight (which I would assume they did after his last come-back took 6 months and many setbacks), but he does anyway, the team is screwed by having the cap space not LTIRed to start the season.

If he won't agree to play in a reasonably less-risky manner, or if he agrees and is put back in the roster but fights ...again..., that may be grounds for termination.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:15 pm
If he won't agree to play in a reasonably less-risky manner, or if he agrees and is put back in the roster but fights ...again..., that may be grounds for termination.

:lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

ESQ wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:15 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:12 am All of that will happen. In the end, if he is medically cleared, its his choice. Now the Canucks can ask him not to fight, tell him actually. But he will play the way he plays best. After all, one hard hit can cause just as much damage as we have already seen with him. Lets hope this long delay will really help him.
This is the problem - if they tell him NOT to fight (which I would assume they did after his last come-back took 6 months and many setbacks), but he does anyway, the team is screwed by having the cap space not LTIRed to start the season.

Termination?

Holy fuck. When did this sport turn into tummysticks??? They signed him to play hockey. That can no more terminate Ferlund for fighting than they can terminate Louise for NOT scoring
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:24 am Getting into a fight in his very first game of his team's first playoffs in years, under pain staking, unprecedented circumstances by the league just to get
whom :D

And the answer is: All the usual people.

Micky wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:24 am There were comments earlier in the season by Ferland, that he didn't think he needed to fight to be an effective player.
For the record, he said he needs to "pick and choose" when to fight.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:02 pm Holy fuck. When did this sport turn into tummysticks???
I had to google tummysticks.

Thanks for that. :scowl:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:56 pm Gaffar on Twitter reporting Leivo is now listening to other team's offers.

Well, we can't sign everyone and in reality he is kind of a project. Guys like this take the brunt of the cost cutting.
Fuck Leivo.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:33 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:02 pm Holy fuck. When did this sport turn into tummysticks???
I had to google tummysticks.

Thanks for that. :scowl:
:lol:
If you need air...call it in