Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Strangelove »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:58 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:50 am
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:17 am I'm just now considering the prospect of a Hambone-Rathbone pairing at some point down the road... :D
I’m just now considering the prospect of all the Hamonic fan boys here dancing around with flapping hands doing the Ham Bone as they sing Dem Bones. It’s just horrific.

The toe bone connected to the foot bone.
The foot bone connected to the ham bone.
The Hambone connected to the Rathbone.
:lol:
Thanks for the ideas Picker! :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:59 pmthe aliens told me!
Telepathically of course...

:mex:
If you need air...call it in
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Micky wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:18 pm
BCExpat wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:53 pm
That was when he was still a pretty good D man.
Do you think he can regain any of his previous success, (before last year), with a change of scenery and entirely different team-mates and coaches?
He was playing injured, so he wasn't that effective last season. I suppose a change of scenery might do him some good, but not as much as the time and rest he had to heal. I think you will find that he has lost a step or two, but I think he can still be useful, especially on a 3rd pairing. I think his best days are behind him.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

BCExpat wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:55 pm He was playing injured, so he wasn't that effective last season. I suppose a change of scenery might do him some good, but not as much as the time and rest he had to heal. I think you will find that he has lost a step or two, but I think he can still be useful, especially on a 3rd pairing. I think his best days are behind him.
I think the extended break will be good for Hamonic (no playoffs + Covid layoff). He's still fairly young (30 yrs) and 1 year younger than Tanev. He was prob bored out of his mind being with his family 24/7 and is eager get out of the house and lace em up again. He'll be hungry to have a good year, so he can get another good/fat contract in the NHL b4 he retires. I expect him to have a bounce back year.

Micky wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:23 am I'd only be using Benn in multiple injuries to defense men now.
Even though Benn is a bit overpaid, he's still a good 5-7th D-man. He's a good defensive guy, good on the PK and has some grit. I expect the vet won't give up his spot to a rookie easily without a fight. He'll prob split some time with Juolevi. Greener going with Juolevi vs a skilled/softer team and going with Benn vs some bigger/tuff teams.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Cowgrease traded a truckload of assets for a top 4 defenseman then were disappointed because he didnt all of a sudden start piling up points. They just did the same thing with Tanman :P

Vancouver will be signing a bottom pairing vet on a bargain contract. No expectations other than sound d-zone play. Genius!

BCEP...prepare yourself for more handwringing on The Fan when he fails to exceed expectations
If you need air...call it in
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

I'm really liking this new 'Benning the Bargain Hunter' gm of ours that has emerged in this cap crunch situation. Who knew it; the man seems to do his best work under cap pressure, patiently waiting out the competition and letting them cook under deadline crunch pressure. Cool Hand Jim indeed.
el rey del mambo
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:14 pm Cowgrease traded a truckload of assets for a top 4 defenseman then were disappointed because he didnt all of a sudden start piling up points. They just did the same thing with Tanman :P

Vancouver will be signing a bottom pairing vet on a bargain contract. No expectations other than sound d-zone play. Genius!

BCEP...prepare yourself for more handwringing on The Fan when he fails to exceed expectations
Calgary traded a truckload of assets for Tanev?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:45 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:14 pm Cowgrease traded a truckload of assets for a top 4 defenseman then were disappointed because he didnt all of a sudden start piling up points. They just did the same thing with Tanman :P

Calgary traded a truckload of assets for Tanev?
C’mon doyle even I know that’s not what he meant
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

I have no expectations. Tanev is just another D man for the Flames. The guy you should be watching is Valimaki - now there is a D man with potential.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:46 pm
SKYO wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:52 pm
Yet the Flames who are paying almost ELEVEN MILLION dollars AAV for those two are having issues.
The Flames are 10th in the league in goals against, without any games against the Senators to pad their stats, so they're getting at least some of what they're paying for in that department.

What portion of cap allocation do you think should go towards defence and goaltending, and what kind of results do you expect for that investment?
Also why does the leaves top goalie Andersen reside in the same stats as Demko/Holtby?

Demko: .897% (30ga)
Andersen: .896% (28ga)
Holtby: .888% (27ga)

Yet the leaves are top tier and are ahead of the Habs, Toronto 1st in the North Division.

I'm guessing because they allocated a large portion of their cap to forwards, while the Habs have invested 18.2% of their cap to goalies this season, almost $15M AAV in net.

So as you can see Cliffy, there is no clear cut path to where cap allocation works best.

In addition the leaves, Flames and Oilers "core" are some years ahead vs our petey/hughes/demko, while bo and boeser are pulling their weight as they got some experience under their belt now.

Once Benning re-signs our core to bridge or long-term contracts, only then we can gauge and see where to put % of cap to what positions.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:17 pm
SKYO wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:42 pm Mëds doesn't even like Gaudette or think he has trade value.
Mëds is fucky.
:lol:
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:04 pm Not extending Greener after the playoffs despite all the criticism was real stroke of genius on the part of Mr Aquilini.

Just imagine the pickle we'd be in with Greener on a new long term contract.

You can't learn to have that kind of judgement by reading books; that's innate...
Hmm good point, I guess management and ownership were on the same page in that regard, as there was no smoke on socials, no bloggers with insider info about that, I know the team was in shambles earlier in the 2019/20 season (lost seven games in a row), but something clicked along the way when oddly enough Loui got going lol, team went on a roll and every UFA FOR SOME ODD REASON (oh right contract years), had a career season for big massive paydays with term.

All that got Greener this season to see what he could do without the UFA's gunning for big retirement contracts.

But seems pretty clear in this season quarter mark, this team has a way to go, we got good pieces to build around, but they need experience to grow into mature superstars. I believe Benning will get a chance to get a new coach, it's timing at this point, when is best to make a move, before another team lets go of their coach and steals Gallant.

To further the point of the teams ahead of us: McDavid, MacKinnon, Matthews/Marner/Reilly, Johnny Hockey/Monahan all have years of experience more than Petey/Hughes and haven't done much in the playoffs.

So I say patience my good peoples, let the young guns learn the hard way to improve, don't spend assets yet, don't go all Columbus BlueJackets (all-in).

As every Cup championship team in hockey has drafted and developed their talent, and that is what Jim Benning is great at.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Miller on the third line?

Waaa?
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

el rey del mambo
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:34 pm The team's 3rd line center still doesn't have a fucking assist after 20 games
Yeah, It's not just Sutter though. I found this stat pretty interesting, maybe more sad.

Sutter 23GP 6G 0A

Virtanen 18GP 1G 0A
Gaudette 19GP 2G 0A
MacEwen 13GP 1G 0A

Just bad luck? Or they just suck and can't make a play if their lives depended on it? MacEwen ok, but there's also something terribly wrong if Sutts is outscoring Gauds + Virts by a pretty large margin.