Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Tciso wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:36 pm
Micky wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:51 am Jake Virtanen talks for almost 20 minutes on Sportsnet radio and didn't even mention this:
Jeff Paterson @patersonjeff
Tyler Myers is apparently taking on the Tanev 'dad' role. Virtanen works out with him every morning in Kelowna: 'he treats me like his son'
11:28 AM · Oct 22, 2020
Talked plenty on how much JT miller had been helping him this season.

contract structure..
2020-21: $1.7M
2021-22: $3.4M
This is really a shit or get off the pot contract. RFA with a $3.4 mil cap hit means a big qualifying offer, , or he goes unqualified. But, he is very affordable this year. And, the best part is we can fit him into the cap with a bit of monkeying around - without- having to dump a contract and assets.

Benning is likely not done, but if he is, the team is in fair shape, and we know the rookies will get a pile of games in. With such a messed up potential year coming up, I am hoping JB stands pat, and plays the pss out of some rookies. He can now wait until things go back to normal, instead of being a seller.

That qualifying offer is what makes him unattractive to expansion. Why spend that kind of money on a QO (if Jake doesn’t perform to contract) when you can get an ‘exactly what you pay for’ in a guy like Rooster instead?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:56 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:52 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:11 am I mean, why work out and stay in shape when you can party at The Shaggy Horse and eat gut bombs at McDonald’s the next day.
Lol. I like how you must stalk Virtanen to know what he eats.

You serve him while you were working that day?

Your making shit up like the Chef.
Cool story. Now stay in your own lane and go back to beating on Gomer
Lol
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:08 pm
Tciso wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:48 pm
Strangelove wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:46 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:51 am Stecher
Doc, what's with the Micky-like obsession with that poor dog? (Sorry Micky, I wanted an analogy Doc would understand. :D )
The dog represents Doyle + Micky's Stecher-loving hearts.

The boot being put to said hearts is mine (I willed Stecher the fuck outta here).

I feel Doyle + Micky's Stecher-loving hearts need to have the boots put to them.

(as punishment for loving a player who sucked so bad)

It is also a reminder that I called the runt-punt and said I was looking forward to it.

As usual, I do what I do for the good of the two posters and that of the site...
Blah blah blah.... He would still be far and away the fifth best D man on this team. That is a problem in more ways than one. This team is one injury away from having Jordie Benn in the top 4. It’s called depth. I could give two fucks if the guy came back or not, but Butter Soft Olaf and haggard looking 26 year old Snake Pilisken Rafferty are nowhere near as good at this point. Chatfield, Sautner and Brisebois are terrible. Woo and Ratbones are raw.

Sign a decent D man better than Benn and I’m all good.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:54 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:23 pm What myself and many others have noted is the gy-humous fucking steps Juolevi has taken in his development and it will be the big surprise next training camp.

I say this as a known and celebrated finnish pipe-cleaner critic going back almost to draft day.

I see what i see and what i see is a player....all of a sudden. That and a bunch of empty dope jars all over my desk
:lol: thanks for the laugh.
GY-HUMOUS fucking steps Doyle
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:58 pm
Tciso wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:36 pm
Micky wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:51 am Jake Virtanen talks for almost 20 minutes on Sportsnet radio and didn't even mention this:
Jeff Paterson @patersonjeff
Tyler Myers is apparently taking on the Tanev 'dad' role. Virtanen works out with him every morning in Kelowna: 'he treats me like his son'
11:28 AM · Oct 22, 2020
Talked plenty on how much JT miller had been helping him this season.

contract structure..
2020-21: $1.7M
2021-22: $3.4M
This is really a shit or get off the pot contract. RFA with a $3.4 mil cap hit means a big qualifying offer, , or he goes unqualified. But, he is very affordable this year. And, the best part is we can fit him into the cap with a bit of monkeying around - without- having to dump a contract and assets.

Benning is likely not done, but if he is, the team is in fair shape, and we know the rookies will get a pile of games in. With such a messed up potential year coming up, I am hoping JB stands pat, and plays the pss out of some rookies. He can now wait until things go back to normal, instead of being a seller.

That qualifying offer is what makes him unattractive to expansion. Why spend that kind of money on a QO (if Jake doesn’t perform to contract) when you can get an ‘exactly what you pay for’ in a guy like Rooster instead?
That contract structure helps the owner out a bit too for a year or so.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:54 pm
Micky wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:32 am JV just isn't worth having on the team. Not even for one year. There is no more "show me". He already has!
Done with Jake.
Looks like professional hockey people think that his 18 goals last season are worth about 4.5 million over 2 years.
Well let's hope he grows into a "professional" .. Still a gamble IMO. If he can play at full tilt consistently, without the brain farts.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:01 pm Blah blah blah.... He would still be far and away the fifth best D man on this team.
"far and away"? :eh:

As usual you don't show much faith in Canucks' prospects.

No wonder you can't handle a rebuild! :mrgreen:

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:01 pm I could give two fucks if the guy came back or not
Riiiiiiiiiiiight. :lol:

That's why you defend him like the Germans at Normandy!

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:01 pm , but Butter Soft Olaf and haggard looking 26 year old Snake Pilisken Rafferty are nowhere near as good at this point. Chatfield, Sautner and Brisebois are terrible. Woo and Ratbones are raw.
If any of those guys are ready, they'll be auto-better than the runt.

(and there's a good chance one of 'em is)

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:01 pm Sign a decent D man better than Benn and I’m all good.
But then you won't be able to say Stecher would be #5 on Canucks for the ten-thousandth time. :(
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:13 pm
Micky wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:32 am JV just isn't worth having on the team. Not even for one year. There is no more "show me". He already has!
Done with Jake.
Looks like professional hockey people think that his 18 goals last season are worth about 4.5 million over 2 years.
Well let's hope he grows into a "professional" .. Still a gamble IMO. If he can play at full tilt consistently, without the brain farts.
How's it a gamble?

They're paying him for how he performed last year (brainfarts and all).
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Tciso wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:36 pm This is really a shit or get off the pot contract. RFA with a $3.4 mil cap hit means a big qualifying offer, , or he goes unqualified. But, he is very affordable this year. And, the best part is we can fit him into the cap with a bit of monkeying around - without- having to dump a contract and assets.

Virtanen's QO will be just $3M, if he improves at all he'll be worth it.

If the X-draft were today we'd protect Jake for sure.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Virtanen's deal is pretty fair for both parties. If Benning can sign a decent veteran RHD on a short term deal I'd say he's had a very good off season.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Micky wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:07 pm That contract structure helps the owner out a bit too for a year or so.

What’s this got to do with the owner?? He pays the same in the end.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Curmudgeon wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:29 pm Virtanen's deal is pretty fair for both parties. If Benning can sign a decent veteran RHD on a short term deal I'd say he's had a very good off season.
Even a decent LHD. Shift Benn over to the right side. Maybe Brogan Pilisken can actually play. You definitely don’t want to see two of Olli, Rafferty, Brisebois, Sautner, Chatfield in the lineup for more than a game or two . If these guys were any good they would have made a push to make the team last year.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Micky wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:13 pm
Done with Jake.
No matter how you cut your brain farts, 2.25 million for 18 (trending for 20+) goals with split 2nd/3rd line ice time for a middle 6 forward is a good deal. If he plays above his contract, great. If he plays a middle 6 contract, great - because that’s how we are paying him.. for inconsistency. If he was consistent, he would have cost us 4 million a year and been scoring 25 a year.

Why complicate it??
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:25 pm

Or here's your power-move - trade Jake to Seattle in exchange for selecting Loui :thumbs:
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:25 pm
Tciso wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:36 pm This is really a shit or get off the pot contract. RFA with a $3.4 mil cap hit means a big qualifying offer, , or he goes unqualified. But, he is very affordable this year. And, the best part is we can fit him into the cap with a bit of monkeying around - without- having to dump a contract and assets.

Right. Not arguing today. I am saying if he has a good year, followed by a bad year, and a guy like rooster is flat every year, who (if they are looking for. A middle 6, 3 million dollar guy) do you take?