Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:20 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:57 pm If I heard the idiots on the radio correctly Vancouver has 39 players signed. Still room for some one way 1 million dollar guys that could be buried in the minors if they don’t make the team. Unless the Italians have cut off the purse strings?

I think it was the correct move to not buy out Sutter. Not that I’m a fan, but having dead money on the books for 21/22 doesn’t make much sense.
JB already said a while ago (last week perhaps??) that he wouldn’t be using buyouts. Not sure why the radio guys would even be speculating that
The buyout window is closed. My point is, that perhaps they may sign a couple guys on 1 million dollar deals that could be buried if necessary. Cheap depth as they can’t run the team and a farm team with 39 players.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Ah. Gotcha. Now I see what your getting at.

That 39 number, it prolly is just the NHL contracts. How many straight Utica contracts does Utica have?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Don't need buyouts. Ferland to LTIR and Eriksson and Baertchi to Utica opens up around $5.7 million in cap space. That's plenty of space right there for our purposes. Sutter can continue to take shifts on the fourth line when healthy. He's still good in the room and Jimmy has always dug his room game.
el rey del mambo
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:35 pm Don't need buyouts. Ferland to LTIR and Eriksson and Baertchi to Utica opens up around $5.7 million in cap space. That's plenty of space right there for our purposes. Sutter can continue to take shifts on the fourth line when healthy. He's still good in the room and Jimmy has always dug his room game.
Yeah but he likes country music..........so there's that
#fuckinbirdbones
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

dangler wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:38 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:35 pm Don't need buyouts. Ferland to LTIR and Eriksson and Baertchi to Utica opens up around $5.7 million in cap space. That's plenty of space right there for our purposes. Sutter can continue to take shifts on the fourth line when healthy. He's still good in the room and Jimmy has always dug his room game.
#fuckinbirdbones
I'd like to see SportsNet or the Canucks mic up Sutter between periods one day just to experience what a world class room game sounds like. You know, force 'Sutts' to wear a wire. A side of the game the public doesn't often get to see. From what I have picked up over the years just from captured audio isolated here and there, Sutts is what the pros call a 'holler guy.'
el rey del mambo
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:10 pm
#fuckinbirdbones
I'd like to see SportsNet or the Canucks mic up Sutter between periods one day just to experience what a world class room game sounds like. You know, force 'Sutts' to wear a wire. A side of the game the public doesn't often get to see. From what I have picked up over the years just from captured audio isolated here and there, Sutts is what the pros call a 'holler guy.'
Absolutely! He bleeds hockey, Did you see the vid of him interviewing his team-mates on the plane?
His versatility & experience is invaluable
#birdbonesdepth
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

#fuckinbirdbones
So does Capt Bo
If you need air...call it in
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

dangler wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:21 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:10 pm
#fuckinbirdbones
Absolutely! He bleeds hockey, Did you see the vid of him interviewing his team-mates on the plane?
His versatility & experience is invaluable
#birdbonesdepth
He has this Alberta farm technique where he can flap his arm like a chicken wing with his hand over his armpit and make barnyard noises. Keeps the guys loose in the room.

It's just the tip of the iceberg, The guy's room game is elite.
el rey del mambo
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

That’s the most PC description of armpit farts I ever heard.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:38 pm That’s the most PC description of armpit farts I ever heard.
Sometimes that technique gets the guys too loose and he has to start hollerin' at em to get their heads back in the game.

It's a delicate balance.
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:38 pm That’s the most PC description of armpit farts I ever heard.
It's a family forum MCP. I have forgotten that myself a time or two, but thankfully not this time.

Speaking of hockey's culture carriers, here's a couple of photos of the grain elevators of Kole Lind's hometown of Shaunavon.

Kole hales from a two elevator town.

Jimmy was pretty impressed by the sight of the 'C' elevator when he drove out to meet Kole and his folks. Drafting Kole was a foregone conclusion.

el rey del mambo
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Kole Lind is entering the final year of his entry level, "incentive structured" contract. Be great to see him make the big club and in doing so, displace an air thief (and coach's temptation), currently occupying one on and off. Ye-haw!
"evolution"
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:51 pm Question mark for who?

Us fans who never see anything,

Or management and coaches who see the prospects daily (when they are playing)
Question mark in that we're getting an unproven player, so we don't know what we're going to get. The player could be really good or pretty bad. Even coaches, mgmt and scouts who sees the prospects all the time can be high on a certain player, only to see the guy fall flat on in face. Happens all the time.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Kole Lind is going to be a player. Watch out for this kid
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:12 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:51 pm Question mark for who?

Us fans who never see anything,

Or management and coaches who see the prospects daily (when they are playing)
Question mark in that we're getting an unproven player, so we don't know what we're going to get. The player could be really good or pretty bad. Even coaches, mgmt and scouts who sees the prospects all the time can be high on a certain player, only to see the guy fall flat on in face. Happens all the time.
Fair enough. But the anxiety comes from fans (and media who build it) because we haven’t seen the player play. While you don’t know what you have until a player has 25-30 games under their belts, they do know some things. Skill sets, attitude, coachability...