Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Apparently Jakes brother is an idiot as well, got some girl pregnant and walked away. Brainless Ladies men syndrome running in the blood of that family, bad combination that will lead them to trouble.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Sedins coming back to the Canucks!

Dhaliwal:
"Hearing the Sedin twins announcement should be coming down tomorrow."
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

SKYO wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:43 am Sedins coming back to the Canucks!

Dhaliwal:
what a whole lot of nothing.

Not your post Skyo just the fact that they are coming back to the team. Who cares they will have little to no say in what goes on and just another parade of past players going through the front office to sell tickets.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Dhaliwal:
Siting on the couch listening and Rick just sort of through that in. :lol:

Heard plenty of rumors ant thoughts about what their roles might be. I'm leaning towards fitness and training regimes. Who knows. It could be
a much bigger role. Aquilini must have something in mind. If they can really contribute, great but just as figure heads? Seems hokey.

"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Yeah interested to see what their roles will be:

Carol Schram talks about it:
On Tuesday, Rick Dhaliwal reported that an announcement could be coming on Wednesday.

I'm very interested to hear how the twins' position will be framed and what their duties will entail. As I've said before, I believe they're the kind of people who will want to put in the work and have an opportunity to make a real impact. These could be very important hires for the organization.

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Carol-S ... 194/112096
Additionally in that same article she shares this tidbit about Kevin Woodley whom he believes in Demko and talks about how Ian Clark built Columbus goalie pipeline and helped Bobrovsky win two Vezinas.
I'll also share a couple of tidbits that I stumbled across on Monday, when Vancouver-based goalie guru Kevin Woodley guested on the DFO Rundown podcast with Jason Gregor and Frank Seravalli.

Woodley made two very interesting Canucks-related points:

• When asked, in the rapid-fire segment, which NHL goalie he would choose to give him the chance of winning just one game, he went with Andrei Vasilevskiy. Which is quite fair. But he also said the first person who popped into his mind was Thatcher Demko, calling him a "special" player.

Demko's about 18 months younger than Vasilevskiy — drafted two years later, and has been brought along much more slowly. On top of his notorious playoff performance in last year's bubble, he also had moments last season where he was the best player in the league. I wonder if he'll get a few Vezina votes in this year's balloting.

• Talking about Columbus' goalie situation, Woodley reminded us that it was Ian Clark who built the pipeline that the Blue Jackets are benefitting from now. In his time in Columbus between 2011 and 2019, Clark didn't just help Sergei Bobrovsky win two Vezinas. He also oversaw the drafting of Joonas Korpisalo (2012), Elvis Merzlikins (2014) and Daniil Tarasov (2017).

The rise of Korpisalo and Merzlikins allowed the Blue Jackets to avoid a big salary commitment to Bobrovsky two years ago. Now, with the promising Tarasov on the horizon, they have the opportunity to move on from one of Korpisalo or Merzlikins if they choose this summer — whether that's through the expansion draft or via trade.

• In addition to praising Demko, Woodley also emphasized that Mikey DiPietro is on track for an NHL career — even though he's considered undersized by current standards, at just 6'0". With goalies like Juuse Saros (5'11") and Alex Nedeljkovic (6'0") having success in the NHL this year, Woodley says the pendulum is swinging back a bit from height being such an important asset for goalies.

• Barring injury, DiPietro might have to wait one more season before he gets a chance to be a full-time NHL player. Although he sees Braden Holtby as the perfect west-coast guy, Woodley doesn't expect him to be selected by Seattle in the expansion draft.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Micky wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:09 am

Dhaliwal:
Siting on the couch listening and Rick just sort of through that in. :lol:

Heard plenty of rumors ant thoughts about what their roles might be. I'm leaning towards fitness and training regimes. Who knows. It could be
a much bigger role. Aquilini must have something in mind. If they can really contribute, great but just as figure heads? Seems hokey.

I don't buy for a second that they are hiring on as figureheads.

We are talking about two driven, hard working, motivated people who love the game, the City and the team and yearn for the success of all 3.

No way they accept a mere Corporate lackey role.

imesho
DeLevering since 1999.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Do you think any o ice practice roles tho? Or pure corporate?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

rats19 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:32 pm Do you think any o ice practice roles tho? Or pure corporate?
Pure conjecture?

Not on ice I do not believe.

Corporate side only.

But something integral to the success of the on ice product, not just logo itself.
DeLevering since 1999.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I didn't doubt that Trev took the job out of his love for the organization, team and the city either. I didn't doubt he was dedicated in his role, wanted to learn and sincerely wanted to see this team improve.

Did the owners bring him in for those purposes? Yes, I would expect so. But I cannot be somewhat cynical that they didn't also use his good name to clean up their huge mess as the first duty.

Will it be the same with the Sedins? Maybe, maybe not. But they better have an exit because you never know what's going to happen when the eventual clash of ideas with the owners happen.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Carl Yagro wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:39 pm I didn't doubt that Trev took the job out of his love for the organization, team and the city either. I didn't doubt he was dedicated in his role, wanted to learn and sincerely wanted to see this team improve.

Did the owners bring him in for those purposes? Yes, I would expect so. But I cannot be somewhat cynical that they didn't also use his good name to clean up their huge mess as the first duty.

Will it be the same with the Sedins? Maybe, maybe not. But they better have an exit because you never know what's going to happen when the eventual clash of ideas with the owners happen.
Fair comments Hank.

I will say this in response, the Sedins had a front row seat with respect to the Trevor Linden Games.

Fair to say they ticked that we ain't going down the F'n road box in their discussions with ownership?

Thus they have some ready made assurances (and/or exit strategies) in their back pockets already...
DeLevering since 1999.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Nothing wrong with adding two intelligent, classy individuals to the management team. The fact they are two of the three best players to ever suit up for the squad and bled for and truly love this city, is gravy.

I’d assume there is a level of patchwork being done by Frank Aquilini here. Try to buy some goodwill from JSP by trotting out a couple show ponies from the teams past. But I think there’s more to it than that. The twins are driven and forward thinking. I have a feeling they could make very good senior hockey men down the road if that’s their long term plan. I am happy to see a few more brain cells added to the current management team.

Joe Sakic and Stevie Y were also very smart and forward thinking as players and people. They’ve done pretty damn ok as managers much to the red light rage of a couple posters on this board. In the case of Yzerman he learned a lot from his mentor- 4 time cup winner and future first ballot HHOFer Ken Holland- the pride of Kelowna and all of BC for that matter. Kenny also seems to elicit a lot of rage on this board from the same couple of posters. It’s weird. Why wouldn’t a person cheer on successful, classy BC natives who are good for the game and remember their roots? Makes one wonder ……..angry with their own lot in life I guess. :mex:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

via Dreger:
Daniel and Henrik Sedin’s new roles with the Vancouver Canucks will be unveiled tomorrow. Both will be heavily involved in development and focused on the Canucks AHL club.

I’m interested to see how their roles change moving forward. Two very bright and knowledgeable guys.
Starting them off in development roles for the young guns down on the farm...nice.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Good way to get your feet wet. They probably only took the job because going to Abby is a lot easier than Utica :lol:

So, Ryan Johnson gonzo? They could theoretically replace Johnson in the office and Higgins on the ice.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Vin Tanner wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:58 pm Joe Sakic and Stevie Y were also very smart and forward thinking as players and people. They’ve done pretty damn ok as managers much to the red light rage of a couple posters on this board. In the case of Yzerman he learned a lot from his mentor- 4 time cup winner and future first ballot HHOFer Ken Holland- the pride of Kelowna and all of BC for that matter. Kenny also seems to elicit a lot of rage on this board from the same couple of posters. It’s weird. Why wouldn’t a person cheer on successful, classy BC natives who are good for the game and remember their roots? Makes one wonder ……..angry with their own lot in life I guess. :mex:
lol

Provocateur extraordinaire.
DeLevering since 1999.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:01 pm via Dreger:
Daniel and Henrik Sedin’s new roles with the Vancouver Canucks will be unveiled tomorrow. Both will be heavily involved in development and focused on the Canucks AHL club.

I’m interested to see how their roles change moving forward. Two very bright and knowledgeable guys.
Starting them off in development roles for the young guns down on the farm...nice.
That's a really good fit, and I wonder how much of their interest at returning was linked to the relocation of the AHL club to Abbotsford and vise versa.

Their professional approach to training and improvement should have some really good interplay with Benning's ability to draft young talent.