Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:26 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:57 pm
ESQ wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:53 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:33 pm
BingoTough wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:30 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:04 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:58 pm 4 straight(and counting) calder calibre rookies added to the lineup tell me hes on the right track.

There needs to be a change yes but not offloading the guy who has restocked the bare cupboards better than any gm in franchise history(and its not even close)
Make him a chief scout. I’m all for it. Keep his salary the same. But get him the fuck away from contracts, trades and microphones. Enough is enough. He doesn’t understand how to spell asset management let alone know what it means. He isn’t a leader. When Travis had to step up and discuss Virtanen, when Miller has to step up as a voice for the team during a pandemic....like really??? give him his cake to scout and run the draft. No more him trying to make trades and run a cap and manage assets. The gig is up.
+1. Being good at drafting has very little to do with the other skills required of a GM.
It also happens to be the most difficult thing to have success at consistently
Nah let's fire him because the team that had 21 players on IR didn't make the playoffs
They were never making the playoffs this season, Covid or not.
The way Winterpig and the gorfs stumbled into the playoffs, thats far from certain. With a healthy Petersson they absolutely could have
Sigh.... it would have taken 60 points to make it. They needed 25-26 points in their last 19 games. Oddsmakers had them at between 2 % and 7 % before Covid struck. And they just came off a Demko fueled run of 8-4-1 so sure what’s another 13-6? This team was going to finish it 21-10-1 right? People forget how lousy they were the first 40 % of the year.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:29 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:45 pm lol so they should just look the other way like they have for the last seven years?

‘Nothing to see here people, move on’

Just give Elmo his Playdo and keep moving right? He’s been aces so far :lol:

FLASHBACK:

Vin Tanner wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:47 am Elmer has done a lot of good things since the calendar moved into 2017.
Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:20 pm Hargraves has thrown bouquets at Elmer many times since 2017.
Vin Tanner wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:23 pm Jim Benning has been pretty darn good since the calendar rolled into 2017.
Vin Tanner wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:48 pm I have little problem with most of the management decisions since we rolled into 2017.
Vin Tanner wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:10 pm Since (2017 )the management group pulled their heads out and has pulled off a series of good moves, I have done a 120. Thr team is fun, it’s exciting.
Vin Tanner wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:12 am (Benning) deserves credit for the job he’s done since the calendar rolled over into 2017.
Vin Tanner wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:40 am How many times do I have to say the guy has done a good job the last 2 1/2 years?
Vin Tanner loved Jimmy from Jan 2017 right up to the start of this Covid season.

FACT CONFIRMED :mex:
No.... I just didn’t hate him as much as I used to. I gave him credit for some good moves, but I have and also will smack him when he fucks up.

Try opening your mind. At least try and understand why he has a real chance of getting the hook this week. He’s done some good and some bad on the job. It’s actually surprising he’s lasted as long as he has.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Vin Tanner wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:32 pmPeople forget how lousy they were the first 40 % of the year.
...before finding their stride coming off an exceptionally successful first stint in the playoffs. They replaced some critical pieces that took time to mesh, think of early season Hamonic vs current edition Hamonic.

No, there is no way of knowing they were doomed to failure
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:38 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:32 pmPeople forget how lousy they were the first 40 % of the year.
...before finding their stride coming off an exceptionally successful first stint in the playoffs. They replaced some critical pieces that took time to mesh, think of early season Hamonic vs current edition Hamonic.

No, there is no way of knowing they were doomed to failure
So they were going to play .700 hockey for 30 plus games? Ok then. I guess the oddsmakers don’t have a clue.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vin Tanner wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:36 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:29 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:45 pm lol so they should just look the other way like they have for the last seven years?

‘Nothing to see here people, move on’

Just give Elmo his Playdo and keep moving right? He’s been aces so far :lol:

FLASHBACK:

Vin Tanner wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:47 am Elmer has done a lot of good things since the calendar moved into 2017.
Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:20 pm Hargraves has thrown bouquets at Elmer many times since 2017.
Vin Tanner wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:23 pm Jim Benning has been pretty darn good since the calendar rolled into 2017.
Vin Tanner wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:48 pm I have little problem with most of the management decisions since we rolled into 2017.
Vin Tanner wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:10 pm Since (2017 )the management group pulled their heads out and has pulled off a series of good moves, I have done a 120. Thr team is fun, it’s exciting.
Vin Tanner wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:12 am (Benning) deserves credit for the job he’s done since the calendar rolled over into 2017.
Vin Tanner wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:40 am How many times do I have to say the guy has done a good job the last 2 1/2 years?
Vin Tanner loved Jimmy from Jan 2017 right up to the start of this Covid season.

FACT CONFIRMED :mex:
No.... I just didn’t hate him as much as I used to. I gave him credit for some good moves, but I have and also will smack him when he fucks up.

Try opening your mind. At least try and understand why he has a real chance of getting the hook this week. He’s done some good and some bad on the job. It’s actually surprising he’s lasted as long as he has.
Yeahno, you're a bandwagoner Biff.

You were firmly on the bandwagon to start this shortened season.

And now you're firmly off.

You're up and down like Sean's mom's unmentionables on a Saturday night!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Nope.... I’m a realist that knows the game. You are out to lunch, more a fan of the GM than the team. :mex:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vin Tanner wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:46 pm Nope.... I’m a realist that knows the game. You are out to lunch, more a fan of the GM than the team. :mex:
Yeahno, on Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:47 AM you liked the overall job Jimmy was doing.

In fact, since January 2017, you liked the overall job Benning was doing.

You're no realist, you're a pants-pooper. 8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Me thinks by Friday there might be a few folks on suicide watch.
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Vin Tanner wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:49 pm
BingoTough wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:30 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:58 pm 4 straight(and counting) calder calibre rookies added to the lineup tell me hes on the right track.

There needs to be a change yes but not offloading the guy who has restocked the bare cupboards better than any gm in franchise history(and its not even close)
Make him a chief scout. I’m all for it. Keep his salary the same. But get him the fuck away from contracts, trades and microphones. Enough is enough. He doesn’t understand how to spell asset management let alone know what it means. He isn’t a leader. When Travis had to step up and discuss Virtanen, when Miller has to step up as a voice for the team during a pandemic....like really??? give him his cake to scout and run the draft. No more him trying to make trades and run a cap and manage assets. The gig is up.
+1. Being good at drafting has very little to do with the other skills required of a GM.
I mean it’s a good chunk of the job I think BT. But so is asset management and cap management, not to mention basic communication, and he’s proven to be horrific at those parts of the job. Some folks just refuse to look at that however. Whether it’s them trolling the fuck out of the place or they are just out to lunch.
The actual choosing of the players itself is a small part. The scouting, etc. takes a lot more time but that's the job of the scouting department. Most players the GM chooses won't get a sniff of the NHL for 3-4 years anyways vs. everything else that they need to keep on top of. Is drafint important for a GM? Yes but not something that should be taking up the bulk of the GM's time, and if you're doing BPA, then it's even taking even less time for a GM. Their job should be ensuring the Scounting programme is well run, look at the right people in the right way. However much involved JB has been in amateur scounting/drafting, he's done a good job but that's a fraction of where a GM should be spending his time.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Since we are picking and choosing skill sets he gets to use,
Can we let him resign the RFA’s as well? He does well with that.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Vin Tanner wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:03 pm Me thinks by Friday there might be a few folks on suicide watch.
Got your xanax ready broski?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:26 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:03 pm Me thinks by Friday there might be a few folks on suicide watch.
Got your xanax ready broski?
I have no skin in this game. I just have a feeling something is up.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:16 pm Can we let him resign the RFA’s as well? He does well with that.
Yup.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:16 pm
Since we are picking and choosing skill sets he gets to use,
Can we let him resign the RFA’s as well? He does well with that.
Since hes won the past 3 trades handily we can let him continue this as well. Basically its only July 1 UFAs and media relations that he sucks at. Hell let GC run the free agent frenzy if it means we keep the exceptional drafting and development
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Vin Tanner wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:57 pm
They were never making the playoffs this season, Covid or not.
Well, that's possible I guess. The best four or five teams in the league wouldn't with the early season schedule that Canucks were pasted with which may have induced some of the injuries. And yes the variant Covid too.
"evolution"