Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ESQ wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:37 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:54 pm
Covid really fucked us (along with beagle contract) if not for the flat cap we’d have toffoli. Tanev I think was gone no matter what, he wasn’t gonna get term here.
Meh. Without a flat cap we wouldn't have Schmidt, which would also mean Vegas would have Schmidt plus Pietro for years to come.

Almost half the league is within $1 mil of the cap, so we are all equally screwed.

Now, if you want to talk about the Luongo recapture penalty...
After this season the pile of shitty contracts gets a little lighter
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:46 pm The garbage contracts have fucked us

Sheesh Doyle, you're acting like the plane has crashed into the mountain...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Covid really fucked us (along with beagle contract) if not for the flat cap we’d have toffoli. Tanev I think was gone no matter what, he wasn’t gonna get term here.
Meh. Without a flat cap we wouldn't have Schmidt, which would also mean Vegas would have Schmidt plus Pietro for years to come.

Almost half the league is within $1 mil of the cap, so we are all equally screwed.

That’s very true, and I agree much rather have Schmidt over toffoli. Having the best 2 dmen in the division is pretty awesome 😎
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:02 pm

After this season the pile of shitty contracts gets a little lighter
It’s fun watching the culture carriers transition to the young top of lineup guys again. Grabbing guys like gravoac, and Bailey, while having young guys like pod, hog, lind, Mac able to fill out the bottom 6 gives me a lot of faith that jim will be just fine filling out the bottom 6 without overspending for the contender years.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

I have a serious question?

Who starts the first GDT? We cant afford a slow start to the season so we need a winner right off the bat.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:10 pm I have a serious question?

Who starts the first GDT? We cant afford a slow start to the season so we need a winner right off the bat.
#RATPOWER!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cornuck wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:32 pm

#RATPOWER!
warfarin
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Cornuck wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:32 pm

#RATPOWER!
If the people desire...I am honoured :roll:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

GO RATS GO!!!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

So Moneypuck (whatever tf that is) has us waaaay down the list just below Chicago with odds on making the playoffs. Obviously losing Capt Dooshbag should have us jumping over them but still...thats pretty bad. I can only surmise that they must give far more credit to Markstrom for the teams success last year than anything else.

Just take a look at Minnesota ffs! How the fuck did they get slotted so far up their?

http://moneypuck.com/predictions.htm

Once again...embrace the hate and relish the lack respect.
If you need air...call it in
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:46 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:30 am
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:14 am The thing is, Beagle earned a sweet retirement contract for all his years of loyal service to the Caps culminating in a Stanley Cup. When Washington didn't have the room to make that happen it was awful thoughtful of Jim and Mr Aquilini to step up with that offer. Players notice that sort of thing.
The subtleties of the signing are beneficial for sure, he’s good room guy and team mate, leader, hard worker, tone setter, mentor etc., it’s a digestible contract in a not so cap crunch era of hockey but unfortunately we are in a cap crunch era and I’d rather be losing him if he’s the difference in us not being able to sign Tanev or Toffoli for that matter
The garbage contracts have fucked us
Of course who doesn’t want a roster without a bad contract? But the Canucks are not fucked by the contracts. They are a legitimate playoff team with growth potential. All the bad contracts do going forward is act like Odysseus getting tied to the mast so there is room to sign the guys off elc’s without having to get rid of the better complimentary players.

I’m less concerned about what Beagle and Sutter make and more concerned with the fact that most games it seems like the team would be better off without them. (Except they don’t really have a beagle replacement yet on the pk). Eriksson’s contract is the worst, but Loui is an opportunity killer, not an affirmative liability.
Hono_rary Canadian
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Point was UW, that the shitty contracts have fucked the team more than COVID. Could have easily retained Tanev and Toffoli without a couple of the useless pieces of shit taking up space on the 4th line.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:01 am Point was UW, that the shitty contracts have fucked the team more than COVID. Could have easily retained Tanev and Toffoli without a couple of the useless pieces of shit taking up space on the 4th line.
Not sure I agree with that. If we could have afforded them now, In 2 years, we don’t want Tanev and Toffoli as we won’t be able to afford the expected cap hit for The Lads with the flat COVID cap.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:11 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:01 am Point was UW, that the shitty contracts have fucked the team more than COVID. Could have easily retained Tanev and Toffoli without a couple of the useless pieces of shit taking up space on the 4th line.
Not sure I agree with that. If we could have afforded them now, In 2 years, we don’t want Tanev and Toffoli as we won’t be able to afford the expected cap hit for The Lads with the flat COVID cap.
The simple fact is, that they could have retained both of those guys, not that they wouldn’t have eventually become been bad contracts themselves. I’m of the opinion that both of those guys would provide far better bang for the buck than Roussel, Eriksson, Beagle, Sutter etc.

For the record I don’t like a four year term for Tanev, but it’s a damn sight better contract than any of Eriksson, Beagle, Sutter, Roussel.

Toffoli was signed to a solid deal by Montreal
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I get the feeling that the canucks weren't that high on bringing back Toffoli or Tanev and had planned on moving forward without them regardless of cap concerns

I think they wanted Marky back but had a plan B ready to go when the term and dollars became redonkulous
If you need air...call it in