Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Curmudgeon wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:35 am
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:58 am https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/n ... 1603076276

Sounds like our old buddy the Tryamkinsaurus is having a solid season in the KHL. He's logging a ton of minutes, is a shot block monster and consistently throws his big frame around (11th in league for hits). He'd be perfect to replace J.Benn on the bottom pairing after next season. :P
Yes! Peters' revenge on the Flames is turning Tryamkin into a reliable, physical defensive dman. Let's hope. Would be interesting to see Tkachuk and Tryamkin developing a hate-on for each other.
I predict Podkolzin and Tkachuk will drop the gloves within Podkolzins first year here and Virtanen will be standing there watching with that dumb expression on his face thinking how he once said many years ago - “I want to be the guy other teams hate”
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:37 am :lol:
Micky wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:42 am Will Jake Virtanen become a UFA ?
Aaaaaaaaand the Dumb Question of the Year Award goes to: Micky!
Are you predicting a deal gets done before the hearing?
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:20 pm
UMMMMM. How could Jake possibly become a UFA?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I wouldn’t want to be Jake if he makes it to the arbitration hearing, even if he could make quite a bit more than Benning is offerings. They are going to rip Jake a new asshole. Morrison was really shaken at his hearing. They compared him to a mouse being carried on the backs of elephants (Naslund and Bertuzzi).
Not that it would necessarily be a bad thing for Jake to get a serious flogging about his deficiencies.
It could be taken to heart and result in a more dedicated player.
I still think arranged marrying him off to a “mamma bear” type wife would accomplish the same thing.
Last edited by Cherry Picker on Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Micky, he was qualified, unless he’s awarded over 4(?)million we have to sign him.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:33 pm I wouldn’t want to be Jake if he makes it to the arbitration hearing, even if he could make quite a bit more than Benning is offerings. They are going to rip Jake a new asshole. Morrison was really shaken at his hearing. They compared him to a mouse being carried on the backs of elephants (Naslund and Bertuzzi).
Not that it would necessarily be a bad thing for Jake to get a serious flogging about his deficiencies.
I still think arranged marrying him off to a “mamma bear” type wife would accomplish the same thing.
Just make sure she already has herpes.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:36 pm
Micky, he was qualified, unless he’s awarded over 4(?)million we have to sign him.
Yup, Jake would have to be awarded over $4M for Canucks to be able to walk away.

And we all know that's not gonna happen...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:27 pm
https://www.vicnews.com/sports/abbotsfo ... -contract/
What occurs in salary arbitration is both the player and team submit their expectations for the player’s salary for the coming year. The team cannot ask for a reduction more than 15 per cent. The arbitrator then hears from both sides and renders a verdict. That verdict is now the salary the team is required to pay the player.

The team then has 48 hours to either accept the new salary amount or decline, which would then make the player an unrestricted free agent and free to choose anywhere he chooses. Virtanen elected to go to arbitration so the Canucks do have the ability to walk away from the verdict if they don’t like it. However, they would get nothing in return if Virtanen signs elsewhere.
Article must be wrong in it's wording or I am misunderstanding it.
"evolution"
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:37 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:33 pm I wouldn’t want to be Jake if he makes it to the arbitration hearing, even if he could make quite a bit more than Benning is offerings. They are going to rip Jake a new asshole. Morrison was really shaken at his hearing. They compared him to a mouse being carried on the backs of elephants (Naslund and Bertuzzi).
Just make sure she already has herpes.
Who was that OJ Simpson attorney who did that to the CSI guys during that infamous trial?
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:43 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:27 pm
https://www.vicnews.com/sports/abbotsfo ... -contract/
What occurs in salary arbitration is both the player and team submit their expectations for the player’s salary for the coming year. The team cannot ask for a reduction more than 15 per cent. The arbitrator then hears from both sides and renders a verdict. That verdict is now the salary the team is required to pay the player.

The team then has 48 hours to either accept the new salary amount or decline, which would then make the player an unrestricted free agent and free to choose anywhere he chooses. Virtanen elected to go to arbitration so the Canucks do have the ability to walk away from the verdict if they don’t like it. However, they would get nothing in return if Virtanen signs elsewhere.
Article must be wrong in it's wording or I am misunderstanding it.
The real question is:

Why would anyone put any stock in an article in the Victoria News by someone named Ben Lypka? :eh:

Especially after having been informed by a few posters there is something known as a "walk-away amount".

Aren't you supposed to be crack reporter Mick McLinky?

Shouldn't you be capable of doing a simple + quick research and come up with a link like the one Mr P just gave?

NO SCOOP FOR YOU!

NEXT!!!

Thanks Mr P, I see the walk-away amount is $4,538,958 now.

"Will Jake Virtanen become a UFA?" :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:12 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:50 am
The team can only walk away if he is awarded over 4m, which isn’t going to happen. So, no he won’t.
I’m hoping he becomes a consistent top six winger with the Canucks.
The 2nd buyout window might end up being the final chapter in the Jake Virtanen saga
A saga usually implies that there is a hero or a Swede in the story... doesn’t really feel like either. Unless Jimbo is blonde under the boot black.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Don't judge this post for coming to Mick's defense or anything - more of a, "I just don't know" post.

As I understand it, if JV makes it to arbitration, another 48 hour buyout window opens for the Canucks. If he gets say 3.9mil (which is WAY too much for JV) - can we use the buyout window on him? Thus making him a UFA?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:25 pm Don't judge this post for coming to Mick's defense or anything - more of a, "I just don't know" post.

As I understand it, if JV makes it to arbitration, another 48 hour buyout window opens for the Canucks. If he gets say 3.9mil (which is WAY too much for JV) - can we use the buyout window on him? Thus making him a UFA?
Nope, but we could use the buyout on another player.

(player must have a cap hit of at least $4M = Sutter?)
____
Try to focus on someday.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:28 pm
JelloPuddingPop wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:25 pm Don't judge this post for coming to Mick's defense or anything - more of a, "I just don't know" post.

Nope, but we could use the buyout on another player.
That blows - here is hoping GMJB gets JV under contract before that, at a reasonable rate!