2021 Draft Class

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: 2021 Draft Class

Post by Hockey Widow »

Benning was asked about the Klimovich signing and he said it was so they could control his development and decide whether he plays in the KHL or junior next year. DIdn't sound like Abbotsford was an option.
The only HW the Canucks need
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Cornuck wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:57 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:51 pm I'm laying thinly veiled criticism at bringing twiggy back. Definitely my least favorite move of this restructuring
Not a fan of the signing either - but it's cheap enough, and the team knows what it's getting. Hopefully parked on the 4th line, and ready to move up when the injuries happen. Shrug.
With some time to digest, I don't mind this as much.

As long as Green doesn't fall in love again and use BS like he has in the past, Sutter is still a great faceoff guy and PKer. Keep it to 10-13 (at most) minutes a night and that's what a 4th line center should be performing/earning. Love the Beags, but c'mon man.

My issue is the RHD has not improve but taken a lateral sidestep. Schenn is ok reliable depth. Adding the other 2 to an awkward giraffe... not a fan.

If the Pool man becomes a pizza delivery guy, I'm going to lose it.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The only RHD we lost was Schmidt. Do you really think we are worse off with what we have now?

As for Sutter, at his cap on a one year deal what's not to like.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:09 pm
:scowl:
If you need air...call it in
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Hard to say. I get why Schmidt's cap had to be moved but even as a left shot, I'd place him over the other 3 we have now.

I can't see him being worse this year, if Shaw introduces something fresh.

Quality-wise, Schmidt should be keeping the others down on the rung. But now, they are all mid to lower tier guys all getting pushed up in responsibility. We've seen that our babysitters suffer when they have to mind that talent gap.

So yeah, with all of the massive improvements JB has made all over the lineup, I don't see this long-time issue being addressed properly and getting better.

But we'll see. I'll be happy to eat my words, hang out in the pool man, and devour the green ham n' eggs. Oh, my ers!
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:06 pm Benning was asked about the Klimovich signing and he said it was so they could control his development and decide whether he plays in the KHL or junior next year. DIdn't sound like Abbotsford was an option.
Good news. At least the team doesn’t have to deal with the same situation as with Pod. This could work well for both parties.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:06 pm Benning was asked about the Klimovich signing and he said it was so they could control his development and decide whether he plays in the KHL or junior next year. DIdn't sound like Abbotsford was an option.
With a loan out to a KHL team they can always pull him back if he starts getting the Podkolzin treatment. And since he is already signed by the Canucks a KHL coach won’t be putting pressure on Klimovich to sign with a KHL team. This signing was is a good idea just to stay away from the Russian politics. In the future, the Canucks should sign all their Russian/Belorussian draft picks early before they sign with the KHL.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:33 pm This signing was is a good idea just to stay away from the Russian politics. In the future, the Canucks should sign all their Russian/Belorussian draft picks early before they sign with the KHL.
I would probably reserve that tactic for Russkies picked one n the top 80-90. Anything beyond that is a real shot in the dark, and clubs only have so many contracts to dole out.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:23 pm
He's making one-quarter of what he was making before, come on man! Image
By accepting that contract, he's screaming to the world:

"Spank my ass, I'm a 4th line player!".

We can't lose, if he falls to pieces we waive him and HE'S GONE... no caphit.

Meanwhile he's here to kill penalties and not much else.

And remember Cuz, hating on Brandon Sutter is what led to Blobby McKenzie's downfall.

It's the slippery slope to complete and irretrievable madness...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Carl Yagro wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:27 pm Hard to say. I get why Schmidt's cap had to be moved but even as a left shot, I'd place him over the other 3 we have now.

I can't see him being worse this year, if Shaw introduces something fresh.

Quality-wise, Schmidt should be keeping the others down on the rung. But now, they are all mid to lower tier guys all getting pushed up in responsibility. We've seen that our babysitters suffer when they have to mind that talent gap.

So yeah, with all of the massive improvements JB has made all over the lineup, I don't see this long-time issue being addressed properly and getting better.

But we'll see. I'll be happy to eat my words, hang out in the pool man, and devour the green ham n' eggs. Oh, my ers!
I agree there are question marks on the right side dee

... but those are the ONLY question marks amirite? :)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

They had no one with push back in front of the net on the left side, so they needed some beef to PK on the right. Hopefully it works. Schmidt was not a good PK guy and wasn’t needed on the PP. Logically this makes sense, but we’ll have to see if they got the right beef once the season starts.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:33 pm
With a loan out to a KHL team they can always pull him back if he starts getting the Podkolzin treatment. And since he is already signed by the Canucks a KHL coach won’t be putting pressure on Klimovich to sign with a KHL team. This signing was is a good idea just to stay away from the Russian politics. In the future, the Canucks should sign all their Russian/Belorussian draft picks early before they sign with the KHL.
It also means he won't be burning a year of his ELC.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Lancer wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:32 pm
Good news. At least the team doesn’t have to deal with the same situation as with Pod. This could work well for both parties.
I was thinking the adversity Podkolzin experienced over there made him an even hungrier player, as odd as that sounds.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:40 pm

"Spank my ass, I'm a 4th line player!".

We can't lose, if he falls to pieces we waive him and HE'S GONE... no caphit.

Meanwhile he's here to kill penalties and not much else.

And remember Cuz, hating on Brandon Sutter is what led to Blobby McKenzie's downfall.

It's the slippery slope to complete and irretrievable madness...
BS needed to be clear and gone but if we must endure his presence i guess a bargain bin contract and losing his 3C hat will ease the burn a tad....a tad
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:40 pm

"Spank my ass,

We can't lose, if he falls to pieces Gomer and I will puff Elmer’s pipe

Meanwhile I lay here to kill my brain cells

And remember I once was on a tether ball team

It's the slippery slope to complete and irretrievable idiocy
    “I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”