2020 NHL Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: 2020 NHL Draft

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

You take the BPA in the first round especially at #1. Lafreniere is the clear cut best player in the draft. But yeah the 3rd and 5th picks would make me think if I’m Jeff Gorton. I don’t see any teams dangling future #1 centres for the pick.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:42 pmWould you approach Ottawa and see if they do the 3rd and 5th for Lafrenierre. You grab Stutzle with the 3rd and one of Rossi, Drysdale or Perfetti with the 5th? Tough choice, but you can’t pass up on Lafrenierre imo.
Interesting dilemma. What are the chances Laffy isnt quite a Crosby more of a scheiffle type? Coming away with both Stutzl and Drysdale would fast track any rebuild right quick
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Tomorrow is the draft, round 3 for the Canucks tho, barring a random trade.

3rd round mock draft:

https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2020/round3/

Hope we find a late rounder who can play in the NHL like a 3rd round pick in Cale Fleury (habs 2017).
Adam Fox (flames 2016). Anthony Cirelli (tbl 2015). Warren Foegele (canes 2014), BPoint (tbl 2014).
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

SKYO wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:34 pm Tomorrow is the draft, round 3 for the Canucks tho, barring a random trade.

3rd round mock draft:

Hope we find a late rounder who can play in the NHL like a 3rd round pick in Cale Fleury (habs 2017).
Adam Fox (flames 2016). Anthony Cirelli (tbl 2015). Warren Foegele (canes 2014), BPoint (tbl 2014).
Or an Edler (yes, I am going back a bit here)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Do the Kings draft another centre while already having an abundance of centre prospects in the system?

Turcotte
Vilardi
Madden
Kupari
Akil Thomas
Dudas
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:34 pm Tomorrow is the draft, round 3 for the Canucks tho, barring a random trade.

3rd round mock draft:

Really hoping to see Virtanen and Stecher dealt for picks, but other GM’s may not offer anything if they have a hunch Ignitowski won’t qualify them. This is why the dumb dumb contracts hurt. The shitty signings have priced out what should be two decent younger players.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I couldn’t care less about acquiring more draft picks in this draft. I’m more interested in who we are re-signing and getting rid of contracts this off season
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:44 pm I couldn’t care less about acquiring more draft picks in this draft. I’m more interested in who we are re-signing and getting rid of contracts this off season
Its always good to constantly keep stocking the pipeline. Pretty much common sense really. It doesn’t look like Stecher and Virtanen are in the teams plans, may as well get something back for them instead of letting them walk.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Other than the top 10 or 15, this is going to be pretty much a blind draft, no? How many games did some of these prospects play this year?

No games, no scouting. Basically picking through a Zoom job interview..
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:03 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:44 pm I couldn’t care less about acquiring more draft picks in this draft. I’m more interested in who we are re-signing and getting rid of contracts this off season
Its always good to constantly keep stocking the pipeline. Pretty much common sense really. It doesn’t look like Stecher and Virtanen are in the teams plans, may as well get something back for them instead of letting them walk.
If we lose 2 of the 3 UFA’s to the market in which is a very strong possibility I believe both Stecher and Virtanen are coming back unless packaged as a sweetener to get rid of a bad contract due to signing all the 3 big UFA’s. It’s nerve racking really, I guess it will all take off once we know what will happen with Markstrom whom I gather is priority no.1

OEL ain’t happening IMHO, it’s not in the stars for us. Enticing but contract is too rich, have to plan for Petey and Hughes contracts, not to mention the Yotes I’m sure are demanding the farm,
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Carl Yagro wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:06 pm Other than the top 10 or 15, this is going to be pretty much a blind draft, no? How many games did some of these prospects play this year?

The scouts have a pretty good read on the prospects. They’ve been watching most of them for a couple years and more
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yeah the scouts have been watching these guys for two or three years. It’s a strong draft regardless if the kids got to play the last couple of months of their seasons.

Re Chef, tomorrow is going to be an interesting day and a kickoff to a crazy week. A few dominoes fall and it will open a massive floodgate of movement
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:11 pm
Carl Yagro wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:06 pm Other than the top 10 or 15, this is going to be pretty much a blind draft, no? How many games did some of these prospects play this year?

The scouts have a pretty good read on the prospects. They’ve been watching most of them for a couple years and more
Even the mid to late-round prospects? Some of these kids progress massively from one year to the next.

Not fuckin' with you Dude. This seriously crossed my mind.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:25 pm Yeah the scouts have been watching these guys for two or three years. It’s a strong draft regardless if the kids got to play the last couple of months of their seasons.

Re Chef, tomorrow is going to be an interesting day and a kickoff to a crazy week. A few dominoes fall and it will open a massive floodgate of movement
Have you ever had Driftwoods Fat Tug IPA?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Carl Yagro wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:26 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:11 pm

Even the mid to late-round prospects? Some of these kids progress massively from one year to the next.

Not fuckin' with you Dude. This seriously crossed my mind.
Listen Shoulders, I hear ya, they didn’t get any Ivan Hlinka tourneys to finalize their lists but the scouts are prepared