Canucks Contracts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tciso
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Tciso »

This is not anissue. It is a doldrums of "summer" drivel to take up space in the column. I do with the best for Sven though
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Tciso wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:48 am This is not anissue. It is a doldrums of "summer" drivel to take up space in the column. I do with the best for Sven though
These vet-with-a-chance-at-redemption or prospect-looking-great! articles write themselves, don't they.

Baertschi's production last season adjusted-to-the-NHL was very similar to what he had been doing on a point per game basis. Its not bad, and if the defensive game is better than a liability, its certainly NHL-worthy production. I thought that he got a little bit screwed last year; to me, he didn't look bad in the preseason games, he seemed to click a bit with Gaudette, and I found Baertchi's replacement (Leivo) to be a play killer. Even if there wasn't a top 6 spot for Sven, I thought there was room. The formula of top 6, checking/shut down, energy, is not the only way to build a group. Nor is it, in my view, an ideal to aim for -- its something you use if that's the personnel you have. Imagine Sven playing like a 15-20G 30A player on Gaudette's wing. It would be the end of the-role-of-the-bottom-six-is-to-let-Pettersson-and-Horvat-rest approach.

I know that many observed that Baertschi seemed to be playing overly cautiously, but there are many players that if you watch for that, you will find that. And with Sven's history, we were all watching for that -- and no surprise, we found some confirmation. But step out of the micro-tracking of every Baertschi move and into the macro -- is the team better with post-concussions Baertschi or without him. I don't know the answer to that question now, but I am not ruling out that the answer might very well be "its a better team with him in the lineup." Unlike Ferland -- whose concussion problems appear more severe -- Baerstchi got to his level (which was a decent NHL player) without the need to be involved physically. He doesn't need to change his game to play with the same level of effectiveness. He just needs to keep his head up (though there's little you can do about a leaping check from behind that makes first contact with the head....).

Bottom line ... this is a canned article. And we always see this story. But this time, I think it is objectively the case that Sven should get a close look.
Hono_rary Canadian
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Sven as a bubble call up may be a role for him. In Utica, Vancouver gains ~$1M cap relief. Is signing a cheap vet looking for a job a better option? That depends on what is on the market shelves. the stiffer competition he face is from a developing rookie. Are the Canuck's resources better utilized on a young talent sticking with the club.

Either way, it bring competition to camp and competition for spots is good to have as long as the decision does not drag.

Personally, I'd rather see McEwan.

It was Benning who noted chia pet's apprehension when he was demoted last year.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Tciso wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:48 am
Micky wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:26 am Put this here because it could become an issue.
This is not an issue.
Agreed, Micky, why do you consider this an issue?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:51 pm
Micky wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:26 am Put this here because it could become an issue.
This is not an issue.
It is if Green decides he wants him with the parent club. Francesco may raise an eyebrow. Every little bit right now, mm?
It's not inconceivable.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:18 pm
This is not an issue.
It is if Green decides he wants him with the parent club. Francesco may raise an eyebrow. Every little bit right now, mm?
It's not inconceivable.
What the hell are you talking about Micky?
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:31 pm
This is not an issue.
It's not inconceivable.
Maybe the 1 mill saved when he is in Utica?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

rats19 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:32 pm
Strangelove wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:31 pm
This is not an issue.
It's not inconceivable.
Maybe the 1 mill saved when he is in Utica?
Ratski, are you trying to think like Micky? :wow:

Don't play with your brain like that... it may stay that way!

:mrgreen:

But seriously now folks...

It doesn't much matter financially if Baer makes the team or not.

If we bury him in Utica, the cap hit is $3.37M... minus $1.075M... plus ~ $0.9M-ish replacement player.

And no matter where Sven plays, he gets every penny of the $2.4M in real dollars due him this season.
____
Try to focus on someday.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Topper wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:32 pm Sven as a bubble call up may be a role for him. In Utica, Vancouver gains ~$1M cap relief. Is signing a cheap vet looking for a job a better option? That depends on what is on the market shelves. the stiffer competition he face is from a developing rookie. Are the Canuck's resources better utilized on a young talent sticking with the club.
(1) If young talent is at or close to Baertschi's add, the club is better going with young talent.
(2) Assuming the cheap vet is approx. $1M, its a salary cap wash. If equal to Baer in the preseason competition, I'd rather see Baer. Replacing mediocrity with mediocrity with no cap difference is a waste.
(3) There are different forms of mediocrity. Zach MacEwan is one form. What he brings to the team is different than Baerstchi. For many, its something that they want to see, the kind of lay-it-all-out-there heart that results in big loud noises on the board the occasional goal-by-sheer-will, and a core skill level that results in an unfortunately high percentage of turnovers for failure to corral passes that NHL players handle. That sounds critical, especially for posters who track my relative disinterest in loud noises for the sake of making loud noises and my appreciation for clever players. But I'd probably rather see Zach earn the spot, too. Because there is potentially room to grow a bit more (the reason for (1) above).
(4) There's lots of wisdom to using the bubble "practice squad" to include no-longer-prospect tweeners. Lets the true prospects play in the AHL if they can't earn a lineup spot.
Hono_rary Canadian
Todd Bersnoozi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Micky wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:26 am
Ben Kuzma: Can Sven Baertschi get it right winging it to fill Canucks’ big roster hole?
I have never been much of a Baercheese fan, but I was thinking before, since we're paying him anyways and if he earns a spot, might as well play him here. Put him with Petey+Miller, see if he can get going a bit and get his value up, then get just rid of him (pump + dump).
Strangelove wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:19 pm Bailey signed...

One year deal: $750K at the NHL level, $225K at the AHL level.
After we get rid of Baercheese, I wouldn't mind giving this guy a look as I'm quite intrigued by him. Maybe Bailey can be a guy who can throw his weight around and score the odd goal here and there. :P
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:57 pm
Micky wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:26 am
Ben Kuzma: Can Sven Baertschi get it right winging it to fill Canucks’ big roster hole?
I have never been much of a Baercheese fan, but I was thinking before, since we're paying him anyways and if he earns a spot, might as well play him here. Put him with Petey+Miller, see if he can get going a bit and get his value up, then get just rid of him (pump + dump).
Strangelove wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:19 pm Bailey signed...

One year deal: $750K at the NHL level, $225K at the AHL level.
After we get rid of Baercheese, I wouldn't mind giving this guy a look as I'm quite intrigued by him. Maybe Bailey can be a guy who can throw his weight around and score the odd goal here and there. :P
meh.. Bailey is the kind of tweener that either earns it at camp, or does not make it. With the team depth we have developed, "giving a guy a look" should not happen. If he earns it at camp, and there is no room for new prospects in the lineup, they get sent down and wait for their opportunity. No gifts for anyone. If he out plays a vet at camp, the vet is sent down (Baertschi).
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:56 am meh.. Bailey is the kind of tweener that either earns it at camp, or does not make it. With the team depth we have developed, "giving a guy a look" should not happen. If he earns it at camp, and there is no room for new prospects in the lineup, they get sent down and wait for their opportunity. No gifts for anyone. If he out plays a vet at camp, the vet is sent down (Baertschi).
U never know with injuries. They say with the condensed schedule, there will be injuries, so u need the depth. Maybe Bailey's a guy who can step in and help out up front when one of the regulars goes down. We also lost a couple of forwards (Leivo, Toffoli) and who knows with Ferland, so there might be a spot available. That's why there's the talk of a possible return of Bearcheese.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:03 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:56 am meh.. Bailey is the kind of tweener that either earns it at camp, or does not make it. With the team depth we have developed, "giving a guy a look" should not happen. If he earns it at camp, and there is no room for new prospects in the lineup, they get sent down and wait for their opportunity. No gifts for anyone. If he out plays a vet at camp, the vet is sent down (Baertschi).
U never know with injuries. They say with the condensed schedule, there will be injuries, so u need the depth. Maybe Bailey's a guy who can step in and help out up front when one of the regulars goes down. We also lost a couple of forwards (Leivo, Toffoli) and who knows with Ferland, so there might be a spot available. That's why there's the talk of a possible return of Bearcheese.
I was commenting on giving a guy a look, and how that’s what training camp was for, not during games in a shortened season.

Depth for injuries is a different topic, but that’s part of what I meant when I said ‘wait for their opportunity’
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Before Baertschi's concussion problems went full bloom he was an effective player for us and exciting to watch. He was learning to play away from the puck too. This extended time off for him will be very beneficial. If he can regain his confidence, lose his fear and be less intimidated out there I think he can have a productive year for us. Perhaps not in the way that would signal a new contract but one where we can at least get some production from him. I'm willing to give him a chance. His biggest problem when he returned was fear of getting hit.
The only HW the Canucks need
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:43 am Before Baertschi's concussion problems went full bloom he was an effective player for us and exciting to watch. He was learning to play away from the puck too. This extended time off for him will be very beneficial. If he can regain his confidence, lose his fear and be less intimidated out there I think he can have a productive year for us. Perhaps not in the way that would signal a new contract but one where we can at least get some production from him. I'm willing to give him a chance. His biggest problem when he returned was fear of getting hit.
If he can drive play like he used to and be responsible defensively he could be a decent option as a setup guy for gaudette and Jake/macewen. He had great chemistry with bo before the concussions and helped him a lot.