Canucks Contracts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Hockey Widow »

So who's spot in the line up did Leivo take? The guy was almost free and filled in admirably. Long term he may become a decent third liner but to do so he needs to develop a meaner forecheck. I don't see him as a long term Canuck. He aint hurting us right now.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Leivo has that Jason Garrison chillaxness about him. It’s his kryptonite - the Garrison chill zone
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:04 am So who's spot in the line up did Leivo take? The guy was almost free and filled in admirably. Long term he may become a decent third liner but to do so he needs to develop a meaner forecheck. I don't see him as a long term Canuck. He aint hurting us right now.
No he isn’t hurting the team. It’s just an indictment of the lack of depth if he’s playing in the top 6.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:25 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:04 am So who's spot in the line up did Leivo take? The guy was almost free and filled in admirably. Long term he may become a decent third liner but to do so he needs to develop a meaner forecheck. I don't see him as a long term Canuck. He aint hurting us right now.
No he isn’t hurting the team. It’s just an indictment of the lack of depth if he’s playing in the top 6.
That or "Some" are seriously, underperforming.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:25 am
Building depth takes a while in a rebuild that began with bare cupboards.

The Leivo acquisition was a good step in that regard...
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:16 am
SKYO wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:48 am Satiar:
NHL teams can't walk away from arbitration awards that are less than $4.39M, which could make the Canucks think twice about going down that road with Hutton. Chance he's not qualified if Van doesn't work out a trade or extension beforehand
4x4 ish?

or trade him + a forward for a top 6 winger.
Why would they just let him walk? Stomach the arbitration award and either work towards a longer term deal or a trade.
I figure they sign him to 3 ish years, try to get the best years out of him 26-29 prime O years for a dman imho.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

UWSaint wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:18 pm
micky107 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:54 pm Wow! You really don't like the guy.
From my chair his skills seemed better than you from yours.
Sorry, I thought it was a good pick-up.
Not part of the long term plan but certainly not a scrub either.
I am a little more strident about Leivo than most because his shortcomings are more hidden. People see Goldobin try an ill-advised cross ice pass that gets broken up and possession lost. It is less conspicuous to stall, miss the window for a play, and go from having the defense on their heels to having them be organized and then gang up on you before you have any idea what to do. Both result in a dead play.
Leivo was scoring at 20 goal pace here and terrific Corsi For and fenwick numbers.
Leivo, in his brief tenure on the west coast, scored at a pace that would have given him close to 20 goals. The Canucks will take that.

Here is perhaps the most telling stat for Leivo: Among all Canucks regulars, Leivo was the team leader in Corsi For percentage at 54.4 percent and the Fenwick For percentage at 53.3 percent.

Obviously, it was only about a half-season sample size, but those are incredible numbers for a player that became an afterthought in Toronto.

On top of that, Leivo’s shooting percentage in Vancouver this season was only 8.8, considerably lower than the 11.3 percentage he compiled in Toronto.

Factor that in with his good puck possession numbers, and it’s clear that Leivo didn’t get much puck luck. That’s an encouraging sign that we haven’t seen the best of him yet.

All in all, Leivo was one of Vancouver’s top forwards this season, and Benning paid a small price to get him.
https://thecanuckway.com/2019/04/20/van ... osh-leivo/
I think with his good size 6'2 210lbs, team leading metrics, likely cheap contract, Josh Leivo is a great fit on our 3rd line, plus it pisses off Leaves fans when Leivo scores lol *bonus*

Could be a unsung hero type if we make the playoffs, like a Kevin Labanc or score some key goals like Maroon, I'd prefer him over Baertschi, Granlund, Eriksson, we could probably move all three of those guys.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
Todd Bersnoozi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

UWSaint wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:53 pm Leivo: GP -- 133, G -- 24, A -- 22
Boucher: GP -- 133, G -- 20, A -- 22

And Boucher rode shotgun with a Pettersson or a Horvat how much?

These guys are the same age, by the way.
I liked Boucher, but I'd take Leivo over him any day. Boucher is slow, small and can be a liability defensively. Leivo has decent wheels to go with his big frame and although he's no Sutter/Beagle on the defensive side, he at least OK.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:07 am

Leivo was scoring at 20 goal pace here
When did the NHL go to a 98 game schedule?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

HF MS (Blobs buddy) was livid at Benning for trading Carcone for Leivo

Win - Benning!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:36 am HF MS (Blobs buddy) was livid at Benning for trading Carcone for Leivo

Win - Benning!
When did the NHL switch to a 98 game schedule?
Diehard1
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:36 am HF MS (Blobs buddy) was livid at Benning for trading Carcone for Leivo

Win - Benning!
Leivo is a fine 3rd liner, but if he's your best trade in 5 years as a GM, and he's certainly in the equation, you know improvement is needed. Early returns on Pearson may make that trade better but we probably need more than 19 games before that's a given.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

WTF; Alex Edler?
WTF; Brock Boeser?

interrogative minds NEED to know.

I know there's more, like Smiley---personally, I'd offer him another bridge of 2 yrs. at 3.2, no more.
If he wants to go arbitration, let him. His numbers don't knock socks off.

Guess the teams not gonna do nothin till after the draft now.
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I guess you could say he took Boucher's/Dahlen's/Goldobin's spot.

He was certainly almost free, but his production with top-line minutes was a 30-point/16-goal pace. Frankly, Loui would have produced more with those minutes. Goldobin produced 27 points in 63 games before winding up in the doghouse.

If the Canucks have 70+point 1C and 1RW, and 55+-point 2C, I think they need at least 2 of the 3 top-6 wingers hitting 40+ points. If that icetime goes to 30-point wingers, its killer for the team's chances.

So who could hit 40+ points from the current roster? I'd say Baertschi and Goldobin could, I thought Dahlen had that potential at the start of the year. Loui, Virtanen and Leivo are all big question-marks to hit that level.