Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

mr perfect wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:47 am I don't know when the SHL completes their playoffs but if Pettersson gets most of the month of April off then all of May, June, July and August to train properly then he should be able to put on 10 lb by training camp. With today's proper nutrition programs and complete weight training regiment a young man can put on up to 25 lb of lean tissue and mass in one year. Anything outside of that is usually enhanced by Vitamin S if you know what I mean.
So as per Per, April may or may not be available. Even allowing for all of April, and going with your numbers, this projection assumes no lag phase in that year, i.e. linear growth from the first month. I must also draw attention to the important qualifier "up to". Pettersson strikes me as likely to be what bodybuilders call a "hard gainer", as SKYO suggests. (all projectionss assume the latest in training techniques, but avoiding aggressive "supplementation" programs.)

Even if 10 pounds of lean mass were possible, there's also the fact that you still want him to be good at hockey when he's done with this phase. Five months of intense focus on anabolism with likely leave him with reduced aerobic capacity relative to his newly acquired ability to burn fuel in his larger displacement engine (ie. under carburetored, i.e. unable to play a regular-length shift). He'd also need time to recalibrate his highly skill-based moves to match his new mass and strength. We've seen players who were out of sorts after an off-season of focusing on strength training before.

As badly as the organization needs help and the fans need something to get excited about, I would be very surprised if Pettersson can be physically ready to contribute to the Canucks for the 2018-2019 season. If he can be ready for 2019-2020, that's still in time for the last year of Strangelove's oft-repeat time period to...to...ah, to have people on this message board "talking about how far Canucks will go in the next playoffs".
(viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11200&hilit=what+ha ... +2+3+years)
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Why not half a season in Utica, learn to play on a smaller rink, work with the Canucks training staff.

Then come up half way through the year.

Not taking into account any impact on his ELC.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:48 pm Why not half a season in Utica, learn to play on a smaller rink, work with the Canucks training staff.

My personal opinion is that it is imperative that by next year, he is at least playing on North American ice.
I'm sure his coach doesn't agree. Why would he? Ha-Ha.
We can always cut him some sort of bonus or something if it is just Utica but I feel in all ways, he needs to develop with the right "dimensions".

It took me ten minutes to post this standing up, just using my left hand, ouch!
"evolution"
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Don't worry, we won't ask what your right hand was doing.... welcome back, Mick.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:48 pm Why not half a season in Utica, learn to play on a smaller rink, work with the Canucks training staff.

If he can play in the NHL he should play in the NHL.

One could argue the ratio to skilled players to borderline goons is much lower in the AHL. Why expose a potential NHL scorer to guys who will never get a sniff and may want to lay claim to plastering arguably the best young player not in the NHL all over the boards?

His contract ticks away regardless of if he's in the AHL or NHL so no difference there.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

micky107 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:06 pm

My personal opinion is that it is imperative that by next year, he is at least playing on North American ice.
I'm sure his coach doesn't agree. Why would he? Ha-Ha.
We can always cut him some sort of bonus or something if it is just Utica but I feel in all ways, he needs to develop with the right "dimensions".

It took me ten minutes to post this standing up, just using my left hand, ouch!
So you’re going to be eating , jerking off and wiping your ass with the same paw ? And typing on here too ? That arm is going to be a pipe
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Pettersson - if he's going to break some NHL canuck records, he needs to start next season right off the bat, surround him with some talent & size, a real QB dman-not these reclamation projects.

Get Demko here next season as well to bring some goaltending stability.

And get the training staff retrained in the offseason in the peter twist program.

Enough messing around, lets go! 2018/19 The Youth Strike Back
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

You put the best team you can on the ice.
Pettersson is already better than Goldobin, Gagner, Boucher, Dowd plus others.
He’s on the team in October, so is Gaudette.
Starting line up in the fall includes these two rookies at minimum. Book it!
The question is if Juolevi, Dahlen, Lind and our first rounder can also earn spots right out of camp.
If the Sedins retire, I think one or two more will be on the team when next season starts.
It is time to start thinning out the herd of placeholders and start bringing in the new core to learn on the job.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:34 pm
And get the training staff retrained in the offseason in the peter twist program.
+1
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

SKYO wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:34 pm Pettersson - if he's going to break some NHL canuck records, he needs to start next season right off the bat, surround him with some talent & size, a real QB dman-not these reclamation projects.
Well, if he comes over after his draft +2 year (i.e., same as Boeser), I think he'd be in much better stead to break some Canucks rookie records.

(Poor Brock missed Bure's records by 5 goals/5 points :shock: )

If he's ready for the NHL and has a strong camp, then by all means he should be on the team.

But if the thinking is, he needs 15+ pounds to play in the NHL, IMESHO that ain't happening between now and October.

I agree that he has very little left to prove in the SHL, but he also has nothing to prove in the AHL to my mind. I say let him develop like a Forsberg/Zetterberg. Forsberg came over after 3.5 post-draft seasons in Sweden, Zetterberg after 3.

I'd hate to see a stud prospect rushed over here, just to sell tickets, because a team missing 4 of its top-9 forwards (six if you count Dorsett and Gaunce) AND 2 of its top-4 D AND traded away its #2 offensive threat, is tanking hard to end a miserable season.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

ESQ wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:15 pm
SKYO wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:34 pm Pettersson - if he's going to break some NHL canuck records, he needs to start next season right off the bat, surround him with some talent & size, a real QB dman-not these reclamation projects.
Well, if he comes over after his draft +2 year (i.e., same as Boeser), I think he'd be in much better stead to break some Canucks rookie records.

(Poor Brock missed Bure's records by 5 goals/5 points :shock: )

If he's ready for the NHL and has a strong camp, then by all means he should be on the team.

But if the thinking is, he needs 15+ pounds to play in the NHL, IMESHO that ain't happening between now and October.

I agree that he has very little left to prove in the SHL, but he also has nothing to prove in the AHL to my mind. I say let him develop like a Forsberg/Zetterberg. Forsberg came over after 3.5 post-draft seasons in Sweden, Zetterberg after 3.

I'd hate to see a stud prospect rushed over here, just to sell tickets, because a team missing 4 of its top-9 forwards (six if you count Dorsett and Gaunce) AND 2 of its top-4 D AND traded away its #2 offensive threat, is tanking hard to end a miserable season.

The dynamics in a guy's play, (in every way), with the difference in the neutral zone length is huge in terms of how he develops.
Always remember that when the NHL pulled the goal lines forward for protection and to promote more play behind the net, they took the space
from the NZ.
Wouldn't want to see him play another year on the big ice.
Though I must admit, he looked damn good on the small ice in our young guns tourney last summer.
But that wasn't real Hockey.
The good thing is, we will have a better pre-season/camp situation this year. Last year was nuts.
"evolution"
DHA
CC Veteran

Post by DHA »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:39 pm
mr perfect wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:47 am I don't know when the SHL completes their playoffs but if Pettersson gets most of the month of April off then all of May, June, July and August to train properly then he should be able to put on 10 lb by training camp. With today's proper nutrition programs and complete weight training regiment a young man can put on up to 25 lb of lean tissue and mass in one year. Anything outside of that is usually enhanced by Vitamin S if you know what I mean.
So as per Per, April may or may not be available. Even allowing for all of April, and going with your numbers, this projection assumes no lag phase in that year, i.e. linear growth from the first month. I must also draw attention to the important qualifier "up to". Pettersson strikes me as likely to be what bodybuilders call a "hard gainer", as SKYO suggests. (all projectionss assume the latest in training techniques, but avoiding aggressive "supplementation" programs.)

Even if 10 pounds of lean mass were possible, there's also the fact that you still want him to be good at hockey when he's done with this phase. Five months of intense focus on anabolism with likely leave him with reduced aerobic capacity relative to his newly acquired ability to burn fuel in his larger displacement engine (ie. under carburetored, i.e. unable to play a regular-length shift). He'd also need time to recalibrate his highly skill-based moves to match his new mass and strength. We've seen players who were out of sorts after an off-season of focusing on strength training before.

As badly as the organization needs help and the fans need something to get excited about, I would be very surprised if Pettersson can be physically ready to contribute to the Canucks for the 2018-2019 season. If he can be ready for 2019-2020, that's still in time for the last year of Strangelove's oft-repeat time period to...to...ah, to have people on this message board "talking about how far Canucks will go in the next playoffs".
Wow, even if 10 lbs of lean mass was possible?! Ha ha and then he could not be a good hockey player cause he gained 10lbs. Are you for real? Talk to Mike Bernstein, Ian Ghallager or Aaron Klatt at Twist and this can be done in 3 months. While still improving in all these areas...

Top 3 Off-Ice Tests:
Top 3 On-Ice Tests:
1. Vertical Jump
1. FWD Speed w/o puck
2. Single Leg Lateral Bound
2. FWD Speed w/ puck
3. 40 Yard Dash
3. BWD w/ and w/o puck

Bottom 3 Off-Ice Tests:
Bottom 3 On-Ice Tests:
1. 10 Yard Sprint
1. Conditioning
2. 300 Yard Shuttle
2. NZ Corners
3. A-T-O Agility
3. B2B Quickness

Elias can can 10lbs and it ain’t going to hurt his game it will help him in the heavier AHL/NHL

Off-Ice Training Focus:
On-Ice Training Focus:
1. First Step Quicknesss/Accel.
1. Conditioning
2. Conditioning Levels
2. Agility
3. Agility/Change of Direction
3. Change of Direction
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Eat 8-)
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
DHA
CC Veteran

Post by DHA »

EAT, lol - he can join Hutton to maintain weight during the season.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

DHA wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:27 pm
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:39 pm

Wow, even if 10 lbs of lean mass was possible?! Ha ha and then he could not be a good hockey player cause he gained 10lbs. Are you for real? Talk to Mike Bernstein, Ian Ghallager or Aaron Klatt at Twist and this can be done in 3 months. While still improving in all these areas...
To clarify, my point was that it would take him time to adjust to rapid changes in his body. I think posters here are just about unanimous is hoping that he gains more than 10 pounds before he stops growing.

I must allow that it is at least possible that such substantial gains have been made in conditioning methods since I was young that what you describe can be done in the amount of time that you say that it can. The way you present the assertion implies that it is made, or at least backed up, by the people you listed. Is there a link where we can read that ?