Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

vic
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by vic »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:we are stacked @ D atm.
Been a while since we heard that, no?

:thumbs:
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

vic wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:we are stacked @ D atm.
Been a while since we heard that, no?

:thumbs:
Almost Double Ds.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Knucklehead
AHL Prospect

Post by Knucklehead »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
SKYO wrote:Jordan Subban putting on muscle -

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIknAOVjVBY/

If the defense stays as is, with Sbisa, Tryamkin and Larson being the depth guys.

Subban is gonna have to impress a lot in preseason to edge a spot over Larson (QB battle), it'll be just like McCann and Virtanen who outplayed more experienced guys in Vey and Kenins in the fall of 2015.

It just goes to show that management/coaches are true to their word, that if you earn a spot and outplay more experienced guys, you will make the team.

This holds true to Brendan Gaunce as well, who imo is the most ready for a full time roster spot, at least 50/50 nhl/ahl split duties as I've said before.
Nice to hear Subban and Gaunce are working hard in the off season. I woudln't mind leaving Subban in the minors for another season, as we are stacked @ D atm. Maybe bring him up for a few games if our backend gets some injuries and he's playing really well in Utica. I think Gaunce is ready as well. Great to hear that he's working on his skills and skating and all, but I just wish he had more edge to his game. He just seems to be a bit of a gentle giant type like Taylor Pyatt. I heard Green say the say thing about him as he said nobody wants a big guy who's soft. Not sure if this something u can teach, but if Gaunce can play a solid 2-way game (which was something he did well), play well defensively, be good on the dot and develop into a Malhotra type, I guess it'll still make him a valuable player.[/bquote]
If Malhotra was not injured I think the Canucks win the cup easily. A very valuable player.
vic
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by vic »

Knucklehead wrote: If Malhotra was not injured I think the Canucks win the cup easily. A very valuable player.
They made it all the way to the final without Malhotra - it was the Hamhuis injury that did them in, that combined with Rome being suspended for the series and the stupid decision by AV to put Ballard on the top pairing shut down role instead of Salo.

That and the fact the AV started Lou in game 4 after what happened in game 3. Schneider should have started that game, win or lose it would have changed the entire dynamic of that series...

AV was out-coached, by a wide margin - same thing is happening to him in NY now - my guess is that everyone's favourite coach will be out of a job next season if the Rags fail to get past the 2nd round next season.
Rocky Dennis
CC Veteran

Post by Rocky Dennis »

"You have to stop thinking about 2011." - John Tortorella (2014)

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Rocky Dennis wrote:"You have to stop thinking about 2011." - John Tortorella (2014)

I found a stale loaf of bread in the fridge that was going green around the edges yesterday.
I threw it out.... :shock:

But things are looking much better now, Right? :D
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

I just missed the 30th anniversary of the worse trade in Canucks history which happened on June 6, 1986. So I went outside and kicked a puppy to celebrate.

Just wanted to pose an open question about the current young guns. Which player of the unproven ones would come back to haunt us the most if we traded him away?
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cherry Picker wrote:I just missed the 30th anniversary of the worse trade in Canucks history which happened on June 6, 1986. So I went outside and kicked a puppy to celebrate.

Just wanted to pose an open question about the current young guns. Which player of the unproven ones would come back to haunt us the most if we traded him away?
Any of them..... ;)

Want a better answer?

Demko; Long lasting success starts in net... :hmmm:
"evolution"
damonberryman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by damonberryman »

Cherry Picker wrote:I just missed the 30th anniversary of the worse trade in Canucks history which happened on June 6, 1986. So I went outside and kicked a puppy to celebrate.

Virtanen
Shoes and Feet
AHL Prospect

Post by Shoes and Feet »

damonberryman wrote:

Virtanen
I shudder to think of a Jake Virtanen motivated by vengeance against Vancouver
damonberryman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by damonberryman »

Shoes and Feet wrote:
damonberryman wrote:

Virtanen
I shudder to think of a Jake Virtanen motivated by vengeance against Vancouver
Me too brother and welcome to the site. There are some really good hockey minds here and some other kind as well. Pay attention to whatever Hockey Widow writes and DO NOT kick puppies. :D
damonberryman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by damonberryman »

micky107 wrote:

Any of them..... ;)

Want a better answer?

Demko; Long lasting success starts in net... :hmmm:
Demko is a good pick but Virtanen could (I stress 'could') turn into a top 6 power forward and they are very useful during playoffs. Hope the kid learns to fight. Maybe Guds can show him.
damonberryman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by damonberryman »

Speaking of young guns, I am looking forward to this season much more than last as I think we will be more competitive. I would even venture a guess as to the odds of our winning the Cup....say 50/50 :D . After all, what is the point of being a fan if all I do is pick them apart? Fuck reality. I get enough of that in my day to day.

Let's see. We have another year on Jake and Hutton as well as Jacob. We added a kick ass D in Guds and popped in a 30 goal scorer with a 200 foot game. On top of that we have the Russian Tree to watch develop and a host of newcomers. Should be a decent camp and I am looking forward to whatever JB has got brewing. I love being a fan of the Nucks. There is so much hate shown to this team it is fun supporting them.

I do not think we will miss the playoffs if we can stay healthy or reasonably so anyway. Also want to see Sutter play a full year and see if Blob is right or wrong about the kid.

I am also interested in Stecher, the Swede who we had drafted and Larson. Utica also has some talent with Gaunce being my pick for a 4th line center who can also play wing. I like his size and will be curious if he can use it more. Subban I do not know about. He seems to have a lot of heart and there are a few successful D his size. Rafalski comes to mind. All in all we are getting better. Two years from now we should be lining up for the parade. Where would they have it anyway? Probably Georgia right? Maybe Hastings though the parade will stop Eastbound at Pigeon Park. I will be there for sure.
damonberryman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by damonberryman »

BTW. I have not even come close to giving up on Cole Cassels. This year is a big one for him.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

damonberryman wrote:Speaking of young guns, I am looking forward to this season much more than last as I think we will be more competitive. I would even venture a guess as to the odds of our winning the Cup....say 50/50 :D . After all, what is the point of being a fan if all I do is pick them apart? Fuck reality. I get enough of that in my day to day.
amen.. Fire up that PlayStation!!! On to the cup!!! :lol:

damonberryman wrote:Let's see. We have another year on Jake and Hutton as well as Jacob. We added a kick ass D in Guds and popped in a 30 goal scorer with a 200 foot game. On top of that we have the Russian Tree to watch develop and a host of newcomers. Should be a decent camp and I am looking forward to whatever JB has got brewing. I love being a fan of the Nucks. There is so much hate shown to this team it is fun supporting them.

I do not think we will miss the playoffs if we can stay healthy or reasonably so anyway. Also want to see Sutter play a full year and see if Blob is right or wrong about the kid.

I am also interested in Stecher, the Swede who we had drafted and Larson. Utica also has some talent with Gaunce being my pick for a 4th line center who can also play wing. I like his size and will be curious if he can use it more. Subban I do not know about. He seems to have a lot of heart and there are a few successful D his size. Rafalski comes to mind. All in all we are getting better. Two years from now we should be lining up for the parade. Where would they have it anyway? Probably Georgia right? Maybe Hastings though the parade will stop Eastbound at Pigeon Park. I will be there for sure.
This year has a lot of optimism attached to it. We will go as far as the lack of injuries let us (as usual!). We have a lot of interesting prospects that have some interesting stories following them around, but in reality, its only the second year of the build, and its the start of the 'Transition from the Twins' (should I trademark that?!??), so simply being competitive every night will be a win. no bad blowouts, no bad lack of effort nights, but be entertaining and competitive... be "in" every game and have a chance to win.. that will be a successful season.
making the playoffs is a bit of a stretch,
winning a round of the playoffs is catching a unicorn that farts cinnamon and pisses rainbows..

JB has gotten a lot of the contacts and cap under control. (not starting a war with this, but JB has moved a lot of "unmoveable" contracts,(and made a fewquestionable ones) and has a timetable for moving a few more), while managing the roster with an eye for the expansion drafts..
JB have set up the goaltending for the next few years
JB has added a whack to the Defence (still needs a piece) with both speed and depth.
This is the year to find out who we have that is going transition into a top 6 forward role, with an eye on first line duties in the next 2 years.. if we don't solve that transition, this team will suffer as we did in the 'Darkdays...

if we get that forward question answered this year, we have a lot of reasons to be optimistic in a couple years
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.