2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:34 pm I definitely think they need to change the draft lottery. Said it for years.

I like some of Burke's thoughts on it.

If you win the lottery you can't pick 1st overall again for 3-5 years.

You also can't pick in the top-3 the following season.

Only the bottom 10 teams should have a shot at the top-3.
I like the idea of a completely different seeding. Take all the teams that miss the playoffs. Rank them from best to worst winning percentage from the TDD to the end of the season. The team with the best winning percentage drafts first and so on. This completely takes away any notion of tanking. In fact it gives teams a huge incentive to win. It rewards GMs who make astute moves to keep their team competitive during the rebuild years. It takes 100% of the randomness out of it.

Handle rounds 2-7 the way you do now. But they have to fix the system. I don't know how it would have worked out for us over the last 4-5 years as I haven't done the math so this idea, which is not original to me, isn't based upon bias. It simply rewards teams that always try to ice the best line up and always try to be competitive and win. And I hate the randomness of the lottery. It still rewards incompetence and tanking.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:11 pm
SKYO wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:49 pm LOL so happy the LA Kings and Colorado Avalanche didn't win the top 2 spots ahahahah

Avs would have been fuckin' killer with MacK and Hughes/Kakko.
LA Kings just won two cups this decade.

If the Canucks didn't win, I'm sure as hell happy Colorado and LA didn't win either aha AND they both had the best odds in the lotto.
Avs would have been fuckin killer....?

Fuck the Avs. They won two cups not too long before LA won their two.

No offence SKYO but why the fuck do you want the Avs to be a power house? They have a good young team with loads of prospects and they haven’t even seen Makar yet. Holy hell man
Don't know how high you got tonight RD, but how the hell did you get that I wanted them to be power house? I said I was happy they did not win.

Both Hughes and Kakko will be in the East & not in the West Coast....unless Jack Hughes pulls the college card and says "nah I ain't signing with the NJD, either trade me or I'll just wait to become a UFA in 2022 while I hone my skills in college and get my degree."
First we had the Russian factor now we got the USA/college/university factor.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:01 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:11 pm
SKYO wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:49 pm LOL so happy the LA Kings and Colorado Avalanche didn't win the top 2 spots ahahahah

Avs would have been fuckin' killer with MacK and Hughes/Kakko.
LA Kings just won two cups this decade.

If the Canucks didn't win, I'm sure as hell happy Colorado and LA didn't win either aha AND they both had the best odds in the lotto.
Avs would have been fuckin killer....?

Fuck the Avs. They won two cups not too long before LA won their two.

No offence SKYO but why the fuck do you want the Avs to be a power house? They have a good young team with loads of prospects and they haven’t even seen Makar yet. Holy hell man
Don't know how high you got tonight RD, but how the hell did you get that I wanted them to be power house? I said I was happy they did not win.

Both Hughes and Kakko will be in the East & not in the West Coast....unless Jack Hughes pulls the college card and says "nah I ain't signing with the NJD, either trade me or I'll just wait to become a UFA in 2022 while I hone my skills in college and get my degree."
First we had the Russian factor now we got the USA/college/university factor.
He isn't in college and has no interest in being in college. He is in the USDL.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:08 pm He isn't in college and has no interest in being in college. He is in the USDL.
Quinn went to University after being drafted, just sayin'.

Just throwing out hypotheticals, gotta have a Eric Lindros clusterfuck every couple decades.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

So maybe not all these guys but most of them should be available at #10.

Trevor Zegras, Victor Söderström, Peyton Krebs, Matthew Boldy, Philip Broberg, Cam York, Cole Caufield, Ryan Suzuki, Alex Newhook, Arthur Kaliyev.

Who is the BPA??

Zegras likely get taken before #10.

I'm starting to lean towards Victor.
Steve Kournianos:

Not trying to stir the pot, but RHD Victor Soderstrom (Ranked No. 12) looks light years more poised, confident, decisive and smart with Brynas this year than Adam Boqvist (CHI 1st/2018) did in the same position a year ago. In all facets too.
Soderstrom reports has him a solid defensive dman with some creative flair, 5'11, plays aggressive sometimes, has the Hamhuis hip check on point, seen some slick dangles in some of his highlight reels.

Could be a bit more talented Anton Stralman type.

Notables the same ol' Boldy, Krebs, Newhook.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Mëds wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:34 pm I definitely think they need to change the draft lottery. Said it for years.

I was sitting in the car, waiting for my kid and heard Burke say that. I just thought; Shit, that makes sense!
The system the way it sits now, almost allows for a lottery dependency. Rewards it.
Yet in many cases, Oilers, Sabres, NJ, etc, they continue to struggle with their franchises.
Sure this is coming from a sour grapes attitude but BB's ideas are righteous.
He can do a lot of good now that he's not affiliated directly with any one particular team.

The pathetic on air production of this draft lottery is embarrassing, childish "AND", was leaked anyways!! LOL.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Alex Newhook:
C, 5’11, 190 lbs
His 102 points were tops in the league and he was the youngest BCHL scoring champion since Scott Gomez did it in 1996-97.
Gomez scored 756 pts in 1079 NHL games. And 101pts in 149 playoff games.
Scouting Report

Gifted offensive force with blinding speed, an advanced brain and phenomenal puck skills who was named the BCHL’s Rookie of the Year after notching 66 points in only 45 games. A Maritimer who chose to keep his NCAA eligibility rather than play major junior, Newhook is the prize of yet another outstanding recruiting class for Boston College’s Jerry York. Newhook is a natural center who is quick, decisive and deadly in open ice. He always has played on a top line and top power-play unit, and watching him stickhandle around defenders with ease reveals an adversary opposing coaches are definitely fearful of. His 102 points were tops in the league and he was the youngest BCHL scoring champion since Scott Gomez did it in 1996-97.

Newhook is a fast, determined skater with exceptional balance and agility. He can beat you inside or out, and you can count on him causing at least one defenseman per game to blow a tire. His combination of speed and puck control makes him lethal off the rush, but he also makes the right reads and is able to exploit an overloaded side or confusion in coverage. Newhook has super-soft hands and is a threat to score from just about anywhere, and his shots off the pass are either labeled or deny the chance for the goalie to control the rebound.

He can also play physical and doesn’t get intimidated by bigger, stronger players. One area of Newhook’s game that sets him apart from most draft prospects is his ability to create instant offense off of faceoffs. Newhook has superstar potential thanks to off-the-charts hockey sense with the sublime skill to match it. The concerns about his marginal play in prospect showcases like the Hlinka camp, WJAC and CJHL Top Prospects Games raise legitimate concerns about his ability to elevate his play against superior competition.

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2019-nh ... x-newhook/
Has NHL size already for a skilled center with good speed, might only need one year in college to be prepared for the NHL, as they work out and practice a lot all year.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:56 pm

I like the idea of a completely different seeding. Take all the teams that miss the playoffs. Rank them from best to worst winning percentage from the TDD to the end of the season. The team with the best winning percentage drafts first and so on. This completely takes away any notion of tanking. In fact it gives teams a huge incentive to win. It rewards GMs who make astute moves to keep their team competitive during the rebuild years. It takes 100% of the randomness out of it.

Handle rounds 2-7 the way you do now. But they have to fix the system. I don't know how it would have worked out for us over the last 4-5 years as I haven't done the math so this idea, which is not original to me, isn't based upon bias. It simply rewards teams that always try to ice the best line up and always try to be competitive and win. And I hate the randomness of the lottery. It still rewards incompetence and tanking.
The only problem I see with your idea there Wids is that it would absolutely punish a team like the we were this year.....decimated by injuries which probably tanked our winning percentage a fair amount. If they could somehow factor in an algorithm that could account for man-games lost to injury or something that tempered things.....i dunno.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Sportsnet's site on last night with interviews, rankings on stuff we don't get and what we might, all the pomp and circumstance, etc.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/spo ... ngs-april/
Still hard not to feel like this sometimes>Image..Image

REPOSE.......RESET.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

fullscreen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=httyubJUwMg
It's just someone's opinion but it's got minimovies lol
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:56 pm

The winning % thing could reward some pretty good teams with high-end picks (ie those that barely missed like Montreal). It also guts your TDD hype as GMs have incentive to keep their talent (although those days at disappointing these days anyways).

I think you need to reward truly bad teams. And I’m not sure tanking is a major issue (NJ made the playoffs last year, Ottawa didn’t even own their pick, LA wasn’t tanking...) But I like Burke’s idea. If you’ve drafted 1st overall in the past 3 years, the best you could do is 4th, or something to that effect. Basically remove the last three 1st place lottery winners from the draw. It probably wouldn’t matter much to GMs, as building for the future involves more than just gunning for a lottery pick, but it would keep things interesting for the fans.
BingoTough
CC Veteran

Post by BingoTough »

I know it will never happen but I'd like a relegation system like the English Premier League; you'd need to overhaul the CBA to allow teams/players to get out of contracts or otherwise force relegated teams to move top players out of the lower league into the higher one. I think that would definitely kill tanking but also make the race for lower teams more exciting too.

What that does for drafting I don't know.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

You can’t reward incompetence while at the same time penalize (cap) winning teams. I wouldn’t mind so much rewarding incompetence with the best prospects if we lightened the cap so winning teams were not penalized by having to let players go due to running out of room in the cap.

I don’t see that changing so the only way to penalize incompetence is not allowing a top 3 picking team to pick in the top 5 for a certain amount of years following and so on. It’s the only logical way to penalize incompetence. I don’t mind rewarding the worst team with the best odds but I can’t stand to see a team repeatedly getting top 3 picks (Edmonton, Buffalo, New Jersey.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BingoTough wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:47 am I know it will never happen but I'd like a relegation system like the English Premier League; you'd need to overhaul the CBA to allow teams/players to get out of contracts or otherwise force relegated teams to move top players out of the lower league into the higher one. I think that would definitely kill tanking but also make the race for lower teams more exciting too.

What that does for drafting I don't know.
Exactly. Winning teams need to stop being penalized with a hard cap while we are rewarding incompetence. Here’s your top 3 pick. But after today you are not allowed to be picking in the top 5 for the next 5 years. Tanking eliminated.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

NJD - Hughes
NYR - Kakko
Hawks - Turcotte (local kid)
Lanche - Cozens (need centre, Jost busting)
Kings - Podkozlin (need scoring)
Wings - Byram (need D, tons of young forwards)
Sabres - Boldy (need wingers, too many centres)
Oilers - Krebs (local kid, can play wing)
Ducks - Dach (need forwards, perry, Getz, kesler done)
Canucks - Zegras or Soderstrom or Caulfield