Post season wrap up.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Post season wrap up.

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

dbr and I’m not piling on Elms….

Do you feel these cats can get it done? I think they look ok so far.

The pieces are there. But what would you like to see done brother?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

The team overachieved for sure, even though it's dissapointing they didn't close out the series when they had them 3 games to 2.
I guess we get to look forward to finding out what injuries they were dealing with next.
I will be interested in seeing how Allvin builds next seasons roster with all the UFA's/RFA's, dead cap, and no draft picks.
He surprised us all what he was able to do this season so i'm not writing off next season yet.
Have a good summer ya bunch of degenerates :D
dbr
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by dbr »

Blob, to be perfectly honest I don't know. The core isn't big enough (in terms of the number of players and their size), the one guy built for the playoffs is probably at his peak right now and Demko can't stay healthy. I like this team, but in the cold light of day I'm not sure I'd bet the house on them.

We might as well keep trying to win as long as we have Hughes & co though, and I'm impressed by this management group's willingness to make moves and their general success rate so it'll be interesting to see how they navigate things.

From the roster as it stood this year, if Tocchet is going to keep doing this pairs thing with the forward group we need to find or get someone who gels with Petterson - seems like a taller order than all those years of looking for the right guy for the Sedins. And I guess they need to basically rebuild the defense corps again, with or without Hronek.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

dbr wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:15 am Blob, to be perfectly honest I don't know. The core isn't big enough (in terms of the number of players and their size), the one guy built for the playoffs is probably at his peak right now and Demko can't stay healthy. I like this team, but in the cold light of day I'm not sure I'd bet the house on them.

We might as well keep trying to win as long as we have Hughes & co though, and I'm impressed by this management group's willingness to make moves and their general success rate so it'll be interesting to see how they navigate things.

From the roster as it stood this year, if Tocchet is going to keep doing this pairs thing with the forward group we need to find or get someone who gels with Petterson - seems like a taller order than all those years of looking for the right guy for the Sedins. And I guess they need to basically rebuild the defense corps again, with or without Hronek.
Only guys I’m keeping…..

Miller
Boeser
Garland
Hughes
Zadorov

The rest are replaceable.

Hughes needs a Schenn-type beside him though. Hronek was good for the first 60 games of the season, but as the games got tougher you could see that Quinn needed a guy beside him that could push opponents around and also would rush to pound on them if they got close to Hughes.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

I think the season was very good, and in the post-season, the Canucks didn't collapse or hit a second gear. There's more this group could have done, but I don't think they should hang their heads. They showed a good amount of resilience, the ability to play many different kinds of games, and a high degree of fortitude. There's a determination and will in this group that prior teams lacked, and I credit Tockey, Miller, and Hughes for showing consistency and leadership.

The past couple of games were frustrating, but I think objectively the Oilers play in game 7 (for the first 50 minutes) was excellent and that toe to toe, they have a slight advantage, and that advantage is in two places: one, the power play, two, efficiency in capitalizing on errors. The Canucks created as many (or more) turnovers, forced bobbles, etc., but the Oilers were able make dangerous plays more often on Canuck errors.

Game 6 might have been a give away, but game 7 in my view was more "Oilers good" than "Canucks bad." Knoblach's switch in game 4 to separate McDavid and Draisaitl was an excellent move, as was more careful monitoring of their minutes. Once the Oilers trusted their depth a bit more, their depth stepped up. Its not great depth by any means, but they did their part. It meant that as the game ended, the Oilers had legs. The Canucks, who spent the season not overtaxing their players (well, except maybe Hughes) shortened the bench and it caught up. With 90 seconds left, I was screaming at them to send a soft floater into Skinner to force a whistle and take their TO, but they didn't hear me....

The Canucks lost by the smallest of margins and I think its a small margin that separates them from serious cup contenders. But I think they could be in this core group if Allvin (and Rutherford) can continue to find good complementary players and if the players could manufacture urgency in their game on command instead of out of desperation. I think Tockey knew exactly what the problems were -- they weren't moving their feet with the puck, they weren't getting in on the forecheck, they were missing the net -- but the players reverted to safety in the D zone and attempted perfection in the O-zone in spite of these messages. They stayed in games, but there was more untapped in this group if they played the way Tockey preached.

There's a lot of work to do in the off season, but I think the core is good and what has been set this year is more likely a foundation than a flash in the pan.
Hono_rary Canadian
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Mëds wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:43 am Only guys I’m keeping…..

Miller
Boeser
Garland
Hughes
Zadorov

Hughes needs a Schenn-type beside him though. Hronek was good for the first 60 games of the season, but as the games got tougher you could see that Quinn needed a guy beside him that could push opponents around and also would rush to pound on them if they got close to Hughes.
No, Hughes with a Hronek type wins the Norris. This team with a Schenn-like guy has a defense that gets trapped in its zone for ages and has substandard breakouts.

Hronek, for his offensive struggles, played decently in the defensive zone, and better against the Oilers than the Preds. Quiet, like Myers, but effective. Zadorov -- I love him -- but what he does well is obvious and noticeable. What he does poorly takes a closer eye. He is not more than the 4-5 D man he's always been. He's the 4-5 guy I want around, to be sure, but he's not the essential player to build a blue line around.
Hono_rary Canadian
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

$11.6 million

Last edited by Topper on Tue May 21, 2024 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

At this point the Canucks have about $23.7 mil in cap space with needing to sign 8 players to fill out the 23 man roster.

Would be happy if the Canucks could re-sign most of the D with these types of deals:

Hronek $7 mil x 4 or 5 years. (This will probably be the trickiest contract to negotiate, he is RD so that inflates his value)
Zadorov $6 mil x 4 or 5 years. (this would be his payday, could be good deal for first few years, key is to limit any trade protection you give him)
Myers. $3mil x 3. (He will be 35 years old at start of next contract)
Cole $1 mil x 1 (mentor type of role, doesn't play every game)

Total of $17 mil to bring back rest of D.

Back up is Silovs, don't go crazy with the AAV.

Forwards, would bring back Blueger, Lindholm will be too expensive, and fill out the roster with ELC from Abby unless you can unload some stone hands in the off season.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

UWSaint wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:32 am
Mëds wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:43 am Only guys I’m keeping…..

Miller
Boeser
Garland
Hughes
Zadorov

No, Hughes with a Hronek type wins the Norris. This team with a Schenn-like guy has a defense that gets trapped in its zone for ages and has substandard breakouts.
We don’t know that for certain. Hughes time with Schenn coincided with a forward group that did not support the defense and breakout the same way that it has since Tocchet took over. Schenn was sent packing shortly after RT showed up. I don’t disagree, Hronek is far more mobile that a Schenn type and that will always makes a breakout better. But a Schenn-type does not necessarily mean Luke Schenn. It could be someone who is slightly more mobile and just a smarter, quicker (and better) passing, defenseman.
Zadorov -- I love him -- but what he does well is obvious and noticeable. What he does poorly takes a closer eye. He is not more than the 4-5 D man he's always been. He's the 4-5 guy I want around, to be sure, but he's not the essential player to build a blue line around.
I agree with that. And I never pegged Z as more than a #4. But you need what he brings. If he’s too expensive then oh well. But from what I saw, nobody else (outside of my list) stood out as someone that I really care if they are back or not.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Bruins need a top two centre and have loads of cap space. They apparently like Lindholm and are gonna take a run at him. The Canucks simply do not have the capacity to retain Lindholm.

I don’t see a world where Allvin moves on from Hronek, I imagine he will be retained at around $7 million per.

“Apparently” Zadorov is looking for $6 million per over 6 years. If that’s the case that ain’t happening here.

If I were to guess? UFA’s Myers and Joshua are signed and Hronek is extended and they bank the rest for Boeser and some cheaper UFA placeholders

Silovs replaces DeSmith and Lafferty and Cole are gone.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:49 am The Bruins need a top two centre and have loads of cap space. They apparently like Lindholm and are gonna take a run at him. The Canucks simply do not have the capacity to retain Lindholm.

I don’t see a world where Allvin moves on from Hronek, I imagine he will be retained at around $7 million per.

“Apparently” Zadorov is looking for $6 million per over 6 years. If that’s the case that ain’t happening here.

If I were to guess? UFA’s Myers and Joshua are signed and Hronek is extended and they bank the rest for Boeser and some cheaper UFA placeholders

Forgot about Joshua, if the Canucks can re-sign him for under $2 mil per, then they should do it.

I do wish the Canucks could re-sign Hronek for $6 - 6.5 mil and Zadarov for about $5.5 mil but think both will sign for more.

time for Canucks management to get creative.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:49 am The Bruins need a top two centre and have loads of cap space. They apparently like Lindholm and are gonna take a run at him. The Canucks simply do not have the capacity to retain Lindholm.

Agreed. I like Big Z but some team(s) will blow their wad on the guy. At best if you want a good sustainable team, he’s your # 4 guy. Keep the Czech he’s a damn good player but keep it in the 6-7 cap hit.

Boot Lafferty, Cole, Z.

Figure out your price point with Dakota. I’d like to see him back. Chris Tanev and Brendan Dillon want to play here. Give Mysie a 50% cut and the D is fine.

Sign Toffoli for 2 x 4. Bring in a shit disturber who can pk and take the meathead off the Flyers hands at 30% retained.

Silovs is on the team and Demko maybe plays 50 games and if the kid is the real deal, trade Thatcher.

Funny thing is……. “raisin, baldy and all the women who doesn’t know what they are doing”

Idiotic comments but I digress…..

They know what they they are doing. And if they don’t, someone will replace them. Christ, how much Elmer juice got piped into this board?

It was a solid year. As I look at the West, only Dallas is sustainable, maybe the Avs. Time to make a push
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:40 am

Agreed. I like Big Z but some team(s) will blow their wad on the guy. At best if you want a good sustainable team, he’s your # 4 guy. Keep the Czech he’s a damn good player but keep it in the 6-7 cap hit.

Boot Lafferty, Cole, Z.

Figure out your price point with Dakota. I’d like to see him back. Chris Tanev and Brendan Dillon want to play here. Give Mysie a 50% cut and the D is fine.

Sign Toffoli for 2 x 4. Bring in a shit disturber who can pk and take the meathead off the Flyers hands at 30% retained.

Silovs is on the team and Demko maybe plays 50 games and if the kid is the real deal, trade Thatcher.

Funny thing is……. “raisin, baldy and all the women who doesn’t know what they are doing”

Idiotic comments but I digress…..

They know what they they are doing. And if they don’t, someone will replace them. Christ, how much Elmer juice got piped into this board?

It was a solid year. As I look at the West, only Dallas is sustainable, maybe the Avs. Time to make a push
Letting him go was a huge mistake by the previous regime.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:13 am $11.6 million Image
He’s got good girth. He’s got a good-looking body. He’s got a body. It’s a real body. He’s got no flab on him. He’s a real good-looking guy. It’s what you want. He’s what you want.”
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
BoS
CC Veteran

Post by BoS »

I think it’s imperative the team re-signs both Zadorov and Lindholm.

Zadorov for the obvious reasons of toughness, mobility, two-way play and leadership. But I agree, he’s nothing more than a 4-5. Let Cole walk and give Zed a raise with ltd trade protection with some of Cole’s cap space.

Lindholm is a must re-sign IMO. He and Miller are among the best 1-2 two-way centres in the game and proved, to me at least, they can compete against the best.

Moving Pettersson to the wing makes the most sense if Lindholm is retained.

Must find an experienced 3rd line centre to alleviate some of Miller/Lindholm PK duties.