Trade Rumours & Armchair Pipe Dreams 20-21-22 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade Rumours & Armchair Pipe Dreams 20-21 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Chef Boi RD »

damonberryman wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:23 am It would be a gamble but I propose trading Petterson for our best shot at the number one pick next draft. I would also make another trade for Bock who is injury prone despite the fact of being good.

Shane Wright appears to be the real deal. A leader who plays with passion and skill. This is a franchise player. Is Petey or Brock? Wait till later time such as Trade Day. Should be clearer by then who will get the first. Hello Arizona? I like both the trade candidates but I do not think Petey becomes attached emotionally to this team. Great talent but a bit of a prima donna with a three year showcase of his talents. This shit matters. Brock would be our second bet on the finish of the season.

I think it feels counter-productive but "I am not feeling it." Hope I am wrong
Hey BerryMan, I respect the time you spent up the Hudson River at Sing Sing correctional, but your Pettersson for Wright move is One Flew over The Cukoos nest if you can dig.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

damonberryman wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:23 am It would be a gamble but I propose trading Petterson for our best shot at the number one pick next draft. I would also make another trade for Bock who is injury prone despite the fact of being good.

Shane Wright appears to be the real deal. A leader who plays with passion and skill. This is a franchise player. Is Petey or Brock? Wait till later time such as Trade Day. Should be clearer by then who will get the first. Hello Arizona? I like both the trade candidates but I do not think Petey becomes attached emotionally to this team. Great talent but a bit of a prima donna with a three year showcase of his talents. This shit matters. Brock would be our second bet on the finish of the season.

I think it feels counter-productive but "I am not feeling it." Hope I am wrong
I think it's a HUGE gamble to trade at the deadline for a shot a the 1 OA. That's a trade you go big on at the draft.

I agree about Pettersson seeming to be a bit of a prima donna and that he likely will never have an emotional attachment to the Canucks. The 3 year showcase has not proven franchise level, he's borderline elite in terms of production.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

As of today, Pettersson has the best Points Per Game (PPG) from the top ten point getters from the 2017, 2018 or 2019 drafts. I'm already much more of a Prima Dona than he is and I've never had an NHL point. A potentially imagined character fault is no reason to move on from a player. With the lack of quality centres in the NHL, he'd be one of the last players you'd move on from. If they need to move a quality player to fill a need or create cap space, it will probably be Boeser since Garland, Hoglander, Podkolzin and Klimovich give enough potential top six RWer depth to make the move less painful. Petey is here to stay.

2017 Draft Games/Points/PPG
Pettersson 170 156 0.92
Hischier 233 147 0.63
Heiskanen 209 98 0.47
Makar 105 95 0.90
Thomas 172 68 0.40
Suzuki 132 83 0.63
Necas 128 81 0.63
Chytil 191 72 0.38
Patrick 200 70 0.35
Mittlestadt 156 61 0.39

2018 Draft Games/Points/PPG
Svechnikov 208 145 0.70
Tkachuk 199 126 0.63
Dahlin 200 109 0.55
Q. Hughes 133 100 0.75
Farabee 110 65 0.59
Kotkaniemi 174 63 0.36
Zadina 90 39 0.43
Sharangovich 57 32 0.56
Boqvist 80 29 0.36
Wahlstrom 57 24 0.42

2019 Draft Games/Points/PPG
J. Hughes 119 55 0.46
Kakko 117 40 0.34
Dach 87 36 0.41
Hoglander 61 30 0.49
Cozens 44 15 0.34
Zegras 29 14 0.48
Pinto 16 8 0.50
Bjornfot 39 6 0.15
Heinola 13 5 0.38
Caufield 15 5 0.33
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

My brother and I used to scalp tickets a the Pacific Coliseum from 1970-1972 for me with him going longer. I was 20 when the Canucks (without Phil Maloney by the way) started this gig and was happy about Tallon and Kurtenbach. The years went on and I loved the Gradin, Fraser, Smyl line. King Richard was the man until he met Mike Bossy.

The best Canuck team ever was the 94 version until they met Mark Messier. The Express were fun to watch and if their goalie stayed healthy who knows?

And then came 2011 and we met Tim Thomas and Marchand. Fuck! That ten years ago.

I think in the near future someone is going to write "until we met Shane Wright."

I have maybe ten good years left, God willing, and would love to see our guys raise the Cup. It does not matter to me if we get the needed stud on D or up front. All that matters at this point is winning the Cup. I WILL be at that parade and if I am dead you will find me hanging around the Princeton, looking to have a draft.

Every year we start out hopeful but with the exception of the Sedin era, we are never, no, not fucking once picked to win. Why? I recognize the value of Petey and Brock. I suspect Brock, if he stays healthy, will be picked for all-star a few times. Petey has all the skill in the world but he is not going to lead this team to the Cup. He will be a valuable weapon on a winner no doubt. I think the kid Wright has Horvat's body with Petey-like skills. One of those rare players who take the team on their back and refuse to lose.

I realize the proposal is silly as life does not work that way but enjoyed the passion in the responses. Thanks to all. :D
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BerryMan you’re the legend of Wall Street East Van, love your posts. I’m of the mind that this is Hughes team, and I’m really liking Boeser, Hoglander, Garland, Demko, OEL, Rathbone, Poolman, Podkolzin (he will be a good er) and I have zero complaints with Pearson, Dickinson, Chiasson (believe it or not), Highmore and Motte. The 3 dingbats I struggle with right now are Pettersson, Miller and Horvat. I have faith in Petey returning to form but I’m on the fence on who we keep over Horvat and Miller as both become UFA’s at the end of next season. Can’t keep both, so the time to trade the one we don’t keep should happen sooner than later? Yeah/No? Is this where we build the foundation of an Eichel package? Starting with one of those 2? Hey? Hey? Hey?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:22 pm Can’t keep both
We can and we will.
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

damonberryman wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:07 pm I realize the proposal is silly as life does not work that way but enjoyed the passion in the responses. Thanks to all. :D
One shot at the lotto wouldn't be enough, we'd need to trade Petey for one pick and Hughes for another.

Then we can really do a rebuild proper, Sabres style!
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

ESQ wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:13 pm
damonberryman wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:07 pm I realize the proposal is silly as life does not work that way but enjoyed the passion in the responses. Thanks to all. :D
One shot at the lotto wouldn't be enough, we'd need to trade Petey for one pick and Hughes for another.

Then we can really do a rebuild proper, Sabres style!
Do I detect some falsity in your voice sir? :D :D
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

some real powerful leader is going to be needed here. For power there is always sacrifice. Give and get. Balance eh? So important to health. We are never going to raise a Cup if we do not break out of the mold of mediocrity. I am passionate about this team. In 2011 I thought I would die of shame. Really. Had to deal with it as many on this great board have also done. To a greater or lesser extent lol.

We need a stud. Needs to be a priority. There are three coming up at least in the next three years with Wright, Bedard and Michkov(sp). Three franchise studs. Think McDavid, Bergeron type players with the addition of the best young Russian scorer since Ovechkin. Different player but thinks the game at a high level. Bedard is our shot at another premium player.

The traditional hockey market is conditioned to 'just wait until next year" I have for over 50 years. Sacrificing Petey if it would get me the stud, in some fantasy land sure, would be a no-brainer. I will still enjoy his creativity when it comes back. Hughes is worth the minutes watched. I do not mean to be negative but there is a point with this club where I am stating to feel like a fucking trick. Like some asshole trolling working girls to get his nut off. I will continue to watch, hope and enjoy the 2oth or is it 30th rebuild yet.

As for Greene, I have tried to be patient but talent dies under his direction. Far too inflexible or feeling the moment. I would throw Pods on a top six role. Nice to see the kid Burroughs step the fuck up. Local boy.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Naw, we don't need to make a big splash to land a top pick at this point (us winning a 1st?? lol), anyways a healthy Petey is a terror scoring wise - a fucking all-star, he missed the last 30 games last season, and this season missed camp/preseason, he'll start scoring his wizardry ways pretty damn quick.

All the Canucks need to do is let everyone score and build up their trade stock, we absolutely need to make the playoffs and have success, that builds tremendous trade capital.

Then when players like Miller get close to UFA, we can move non-core pieces around for high picks and continue the long-term success, that's the key, as the Canucks have never done that before in it's history. They basically went all in and then lost all trade capital as they had no picks, were not good at drafting at all - so no prospects and were one-and-done (1994) (2011). The teams that win it all, are great at drafting, they keep building and trying with their stars they drafted, it took Tampa and Washington years to win it, but they did! and they didn't try to get a 1st overall while they had their young cores in place.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

SKYO wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:33 am Naw, we don't need to make a big splash to land a top pick at this point (us winning a 1st?? lol), anyways a healthy Petey is a terror scoring wise - a fucking all-star, he missed the last 30 games last season, and this season missed camp/preseason, he'll start scoring his wizardry ways pretty damn quick.

All the Canucks need to do is let everyone score and build up their trade stock, we absolutely need to make the playoffs and have success, that builds tremendous trade capital.

Then when players like Miller get close to UFA, we can move non-core pieces around for high picks and continue the long-term success, that's the key, as the Canucks have never done that before in it's history. They basically went all in and then lost all trade capital as they had no picks, were not good at drafting at all - so no prospects and were one-and-done (1994) (2011). The teams that win it all, are great at drafting, they keep building and trying with their stars they drafted, it took Tampa and Washington years to win it, but they did! and they didn't try to get a 1st overall while they had their young cores in place.
I hope you are right. I got no dog in this fight. Still, challenge me on logic and not feelings. Love you guys and gals.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Shit Berry…

I will say I don’t agree with you on this, but I respect the hell out of the passion and conviction with which you posted it!

Carry on dude!

… but I will say, we will see the boys get to it and raise that damn cup, and this is the core to get it done. Cheers!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

damonberryman wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:50 pm
Do I detect some falsity in your voice sir? :D :D
Honestly, I love the proposal, and this is the thread for those kinds of talk! But I'm just pointing out that there is no guarantee of getting any of those guys until after the lotto. Even if we guess who will have the top odds (*cough Montreal), they only have a 16.6% chance of winning the lotto.

I haven't looked at Wright at all and haven't heard he's the next mcdavid. But if Wright instead projects to be an average or even above-average 1oa, like Hughes/Hirschier/Ekblad/RNH ilk, I wouldn't see that as an ungrade on Petey or Hughes, who are both effectively the 1oa of their draft classes in most redrafts (cue Blob to start stroking Sakic's boi Makar).
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Benning is bringing home the cup, nevermind the BerryMan Blues, he grew up down by the train tracks of Wall and Dundas street, drinking his first beers at the Princeton Hotel, he will come around to the Benning Plan
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:22 am Benning is bringing home the cup, nevermind the BerryMan Blues, he grew up down by the train tracks of Wall and Dundas street, drinking his first beers at the Princeton Hotel, he will come around to the Benning Plan
You and the Berryman probably bumped uglies together in some fleabag hotel in the DTES back in the day scoring a flap of bump from Crazy Lennie.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”