2021 Draft Class

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: 2021 Draft Class

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:14 pm It would be massive if McTavish falls to us but I don’t think he will

The Canucks should take a hard look at Svechkov
We should get a good piece at 9. What a fucked up draft though. Feel sorry for these kids. Guys that were maybe looking to get drafted as 19 year olds had their whole seasons wiped out.

Might not be a bad idea THIS YEAR to flip a pick or two for a youngish guy if you haven’t had a lot of boots on the ground in regards to amateur scouting. No Pedans or Veys please.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Vin Tanner wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:00 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:14 pm It would be massive if McTavish falls to us but I don’t think he will

We should get a good piece at 9. What a fucked up draft though. Feel sorry for these kids. Guys that were maybe looking to get drafted as 19 year olds had their whole seasons wiped out.

Might not be a bad idea THIS YEAR to flip a pick or two for a youngish guy if you haven’t had a lot of boots on the ground in regards to amateur scouting. No Pedans or Veys please.
That thought might be running through a few GM's heads. When it comes down though, I think it happens as usual in the firs round. Who knows though.
Still over a month away. July 23. Landscape could really change Plenty of time for homework.
"evolution"
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

I have a hunch this draft is going to be chaotic. Reading teh stats and impressions of the top 100 I am stuck by how many scouts included qualifiers in this years assessing draft prospects. My guess is a forward will be this years steal when we look back.

I must say Raty intrigues me.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Oddly enough you make sense on this thread. I say this due to the 'preaching to the choir' model we often share. Nice insight.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Tampa Bay's Erik Cernak, (defense) for our ninth overall pick. Is that too bold? Doesn't save Tampa a whole lot but they need all the relief they can get.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

damonberryman wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:22 am

I have a hunch this draft is going to be chaotic. Reading teh stats and impressions of the top 100 I am stuck by how many scouts included qualifiers in this years assessing draft prospects. My guess is a forward will be this years steal when we look back.

Raty seems to be all over the place when it comes to the lists. They can’t seem to make up their minds with him. I’ve become risk adverse when it comes to drafting Finns - Juolevi, Ristolainen, Laine, Puljujarvi, Virtanen, Kakko. They seemingly seem to disappoint of late unless you are drafting Aho in the 2nd round, lol. The best of the lot. Barkov and Heiskenen yes, they’ve come in as expected but very hit and miss and more on the miss side of it, but for some reason the Finns seem to intrigue the scouts prior to the drafts.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:41 am

Raty seems to be all over the place when it comes to the lists. They can’t seem to make up their minds with him. I’ve become risk adverse when it comes to drafting Finns - Juolevi, Ristolainen, Laine, Puljujarvi, Virtanen, Kakko. They seemingly seem to disappoint of late unless you are drafting Aho in the 2nd round, lol. The best of the lot. Barkov and Heiskenen yes, they’ve come in as expected but very hit and miss and more on the miss side of it, but for some reason the Finns seem to intrigue the scouts prior to the drafts.
Raty had been set to challenge for 1st OA until this past season where he seemed to regress. I have to think pass if its a top 10 pick but someone willing to gamble may very well end up with the best of the lot later in the 1st round
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Going back in time to how the Tampa Bay Lightning drafted Brayden Point, where his major flaw was his slow skating.

2012 Al Murray (TBL director of amateur scouting) and Yzerman were scouting Morgan Reilly with the Moose Jaw Warriors, but Murray who lives in Regina was able to watch a 16yr old Point prior and really like his skill set saying he's their best player.

Draft year: "Point's NHL Projection tag-line read, “Dynamic point producer.” “He’s a small player with a big heart,” one scout said. “He plays bigger than his size and he fights through traffic. You just wish he were bigger.”" sounds like a Hoglander!

"The Lightning went to the draft in Philadelphia that year hoping to get Point, but desperately needed to stock their organization at defense. That’s why they took Tony DeAngelo in the first round, the Dominic Masin with the 35th overall pick and Johnathan MacLeod at No. 57. All three were blueliners. "

The Minnesota Wild were interested in Point and Louis Belpedio at #79, so Al Murray got Yzerman to offer up their 7th to swap spots from 80->79, Yzerman actually called every team to move up, Minny finally did.

After they drafted Point, Cooper noticed his horrendous skating, so TBL put Point with Barbara Underhill, a former World Champion pairs skater.
Underhill has helped a number of NHLers improve their stride. Among those working with Point was Jamie Heffernan, he was one of the first in hockey to use the Zenolink 3D motion capture technology system as a tool to analyze skating. The result is the current version of Brayden Point, an elite skater who can play both ends of the ice and could very well end up winning the Conn Smythe Trophy this season.
https://www.si.com/hockey/news/how-the- ... f-all-time

So at the draft we shouldn't use slow skating or small size as a deterrent if the prospect has elite skill, heart and determination to fight through traffic - as skating can be improved with proper development and technology.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

There is the exception Skyo, yes. But 9 times out of 10. Doesn’t typically turn out. You could park Boeser in the same category regarding skating comcerns. Boeser was our best and most consistent forward this season. So yeah, there is the exception to the rule

To be honest Hockey IQ, motor, compete level, attitude tends to be my biggest concerns. As soon as I see, concerns in these areas the red flags go up. Size seemingly doesn’t seem to be an issue anymore - Hoglander, Caufield, Marner, Point, Hughes.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

It’s about the player’s stride too. Even though Point was slow he had a good natural stride, not choppy or elongated. It was an easy stride. Similar to Bo Horvat. You aren’t going to improve Mathew Tkachuk’s skating that much just by giving him a skating coach. He’s a choppy skater like a Tyler Toffoli.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

SKYO wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:49 am "The Lightning went to the draft in Philadelphia that year hoping to get Point, but desperately needed to stock their organization at defense. That’s why they took Tony DeAngelo in the first round, the Dominic Masin with the 35th overall pick and Johnathan MacLeod at No. 57. All three were blueliners. "
Wow, Steve Yzerman drafting based on positional needs with his first 3 picks?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:46 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:41 am

Raty had been set to challenge for 1st OA until this past season where he seemed to regress. I have to think pass if its a top 10 pick but someone willing to gamble may very well end up with the best of the lot later in the 1st round
There isn't much available footage to watch outside tournament play. Skating stride does remind me a bit of Juolevi''s. Has a wicked shot but needs time to release it. A very deceptive shot though. I don't think this would be a pick for a team that wanted someone quickly.
"evolution"
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

damonberryman wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:25 am

Oddly enough you make sense on this thread. I say this due to the 'preaching to the choir' model we often share. Nice insight.
Or, you turn that reasoning on its head.

The fact that everyone will have less draft information than usual means that more useful players will fall to later rounds than in a normal draft year, and many GMs will be thinking as you do, and attaching less value to their picks.

So, the Canucks flip some low-ish value but known quantity players in the organization for some extra later round picks. (Benning is always saying he wants to recover some draft picks.) The advantage would be better-than-usual chances to get lucky in the later rounds (and I think they'll have to get lucky to hit Benning's timetable), while a player going the other way whose perceived trade value was a (theoretically devalued) third or fourth round pick wasn't going to move the needle, anyway.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:44 pm
damonberryman wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:25 am

Or, you turn that reasoning on its head.

The fact that everyone will have less draft information than usual means that more useful players will fall to later rounds than in a normal draft year, and many GMs will be thinking as you do, and attaching less value to their picks.

So, the Canucks flip some low-ish value but known quantity players in the organization for some extra later round picks. (Benning is always saying he wants to recover some draft picks.) The advantage would be better-than-usual chances to get lucky in the later rounds (and I think they'll have to get lucky to hit Benning's timetable), while a player going the other way whose perceived trade value was a (theoretically devalued) third or fourth round pick wasn't going to move the needle, anyway.
Definitely. This is the type of draft class where often the best players come along later in the 1st or even the 2nd round. Probably a great time to have a strong drafting management group running things

:thumbs:
If you need air...call it in
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

McKeen’s also has the Canucks taking McTavish.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mock-entry-dra ... 20318.html

They have Guenther going the pick after that.
Skipping Guenther to take McTavish doesn’t seem like a great idea to me.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.