The Rebuild...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ukcanuck wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:30 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:05 am
2Fingers wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:46 pm
ESQ wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:36 pm

But if anyone thinks the Canucks can let Sutter walk and not replace him in UFA, and that will somehow make the team better, hopefully the last few games of the Vancouver Comets has put that idea to bed.

If keeping Sutter is that important to the team then this team is in BIG trouble.
It’s not important to the team but signing Sutter to a one year deal at 1.75 million is a better alternative to Elmo going full Elmo on Free Agent day and fucking this team up more than he already has
Sutter at 1.7? How about Sutter on the alumni squad for free ? He can even be a 1C if he likes
I just don’t want another millstone long term contract here. They need NHL centres. They have two good ones, need a solid 3rd and a 4th. I don’t see too much in the pipeline that’s ready either.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vin Tanner wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:23 pm
ESQ wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:51 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:05 pm

Who hasn’t figured what out?
2 out of 6.
At the end of this year he’s 2/7 in playoffs.

So when they inevitably miss the playoffs again next year; I don’t see much help coming, that will be 6 /7 seasons in the shitter.
He's still doing it! :lol:

Didn't yo mama ever teach you not to mix your facts with your fantasy Tanner?

You don't get to count next season as a non-playoff season in a debate bro! :lol:

And like I say... you're miserable if they don't make the playoffs and miserable if they do (don't get a high pick).

You're miserable if they spend to the cap in a rebuild and miserable if they don't.

You just whine constantly dude, there's no pleasing you.

You suck the life out of the room and expect everyone to thank you for saving them from becoming overly optimistic.

Canuck fans! :D

But yeah, whining about not making the playoffs during a rebuild proves just one thing: You can't handle a rebuild. Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vin Tanner wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:26 pm Doc is the biggest troll in internet message board history.
That's quite the compliment coming from you I guess. :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:48 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:23 pm
ESQ wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:51 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:05 pm

Who hasn’t figured what out?
2 out of 6.
At the end of this year he’s 2/7 in playoffs.

So when they inevitably miss the playoffs again next year; I don’t see much help coming, that will be 6 /7 seasons in the shitter.
He's still doing it! :lol:

Didn't yo mama ever teach you not to mix your facts with your fantasy Tanner?

You don't get to count next season as a non-playoff season in a debate bro! :lol:

And like I say... you're miserable if they don't make the playoffs and miserable if they do (don't get a high pick).

You're miserable if they spend to the cap in a rebuild and miserable if they don't.

You just whine constantly dude, there's no pleasing you.

You suck the life out of the room and expect everyone to thank you for saving them from becoming overly optimistic.

Canuck fans! :D

But yeah, whining about not making the playoffs during a rebuild proves just one thing: You can't handle a rebuild. Image
Another dumb post with a pile of made up shit.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Vin Tanner wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:33 pm

But if anyone thinks the Canucks can let Sutter walk and not replace him in UFA, and that will somehow make the team better, hopefully the last few games of the Vancouver Comets has put that idea to bed.

If keeping Sutter is that important to the team then this team is in BIG trouble.
It’s not important to the team but signing Sutter to a one year deal at 1.75 million is a better alternative to Elmo going full Elmo on Free Agent day and fucking this team up more than he already has
Sutter at 1.7? How about Sutter on the alumni squad for free ? He can even be a 1C if he likes
I just don’t want another millstone long term contract here. They need NHL centres. They have two good ones, need a solid 3rd and a 4th. I don’t see too much in the pipeline that’s ready either.
Why I'd overpay for Danault.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:37 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:33 pm

Why I'd overpay for Danault.
Which we can't afford to do right now. Like literally don't have the cap space to be overpaying guys. Unless one of Holtby, Roussel, or Eriksson, are gone next year Elmer is gonna be in tough to put any improvements over this year out on the ice for 2021-22. He might get some wiggle room if Virtanen is terminated, traded, or taken by Seattle.

If all that moves out is Virtanen, with matching $7M deals to Petey and Hughes, Podkolzin on max ELC, you can shuffle things around a bit and in theory could add Danault at $4M. But you are left with $2.5ishM in cap space but that roster has a 4 man blueline, one of which is Rathbone, and Highmore as the 13th forward.

I do agree that Danault would be a guy worth targeting though.

In Montreal for the past 6 seasons he's a 53.8% faceoff winner, scores at a 44 point pace, he's a good skater, and plays a 200 foot game. He's also listed at 6'1" 200, which would be a nice upgrade on birdbones. :P

As a Quebec native who has played all but 2 years of his career in either Quebec or New Brunswick, I think it will take a pretty decent overpayment to entice him to relocate out of Francophone society all the way to the other coast of Canada.

Currently he's making $3.08M per year, even in a flat cap world I suspect it will take at least $4.5M to bring him west. The Canadiens also don't have any big stars that they are going to have to worry about paying in the next few years, and with several names coming off the books this year they will have plenty of room to bring Danault back.....which they would be crazy not to do considering they aren't exactly flush with prolific NHL centers, and Danault is their second highest scoring player at that position.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Danault wont be coming to van. He turned down a 5x6 already and who wants to pony up 5.25+ on a 3C anyway. Plus he probably envisions himself as a 2C and will look for that opportunity over what Van will offer. We have Pettersson, Horvat and Miller ahead of him...he aint coming to Van
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

If they can offload both Sutter and the Beag somehow, i am surprisingly ok with Tyler gRayovac as the 4C next year. He has size and a decent head for the game, seems to play with enough physicality to suit that role. He would likely be thrilled to have a full time job and come in under a mill.

The cap hit could be better allocated elsewhere that big ticket contracts on the 4th line
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:33 pm If they can offload both Sutter and the Beag somehow, i am surprisingly ok with Tyler gRayovac as the 4C next year. He has size and a decent head for the game, seems to play with enough physicality to suit that role. He would likely be thrilled to have a full time job and come in under a mill.

The cap hit could be better allocated elsewhere that big ticket contracts on the 4th line
Sutter is easy to disappear, just don't re-sign him.

One can hope that Seattle takes Beagle. I can't see him being traded.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:35 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:33 pm If they can offload both Sutter and the Beag somehow, i am surprisingly ok with Tyler gRayovac as the 4C next year. He has size and a decent head for the game, seems to play with enough physicality to suit that role. He would likely be thrilled to have a full time job and come in under a mill.

At one point there were rumours circulated his career being done...this would be the most convenient and optimal outcome. I wonder if that is a possibility

Also what if Ferland thinks he can come back? That 3.5 hit is acceptable if hes 100% and can slot into the top 9 but him at 70%, in and out of the line up is a nightmare when trying to maneuver through the cap crunch
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:43 pm
Also what if Ferland thinks he can come back? That 3.5 hit is acceptable if hes 100% and can slot into the top 9 but him at 70%, in and out of the line up is a nightmare when trying to maneuver through the cap crunch
Crosby made it back but I don't think this is even close to comparable. Just like you say; He's only worth the money if he can be "That player"'
That very easily makes this team's top nine. That looked terrible in the bubble though.
Honestly; Ferland has to play with the edge to pump himself up. My guess is he's done. Just hope he announces it before camp.
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:43 pm
Mëds wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:35 pm

At one point there were rumours circulated his career being done...this would be the most convenient and optimal outcome. I wonder if that is a possibility

Having Sutter walk, Eddie sign for 2 plus incentives, and feline and beats on LTIR would solve the cap.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

That's funny, I was thinking the same way after last night's game.

Graovac was good I thought.

We could use another centre in the system regardless.

He's a UFA after this season, but a one-way deal at league minimum probably wraps him up.

(he's on a two-way deal right now, for those who didn't know)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya I was impressed with Graovac last game as well. He is a big body that dishes the puck well. He plays a physical game and has a wicked shot. He was looking ok in the dot too. His speed may be a factor especially in getting back for the back check but I was impressed with how he moved.

He does not look like a lazy player who cheats out there. I think he has had to earn his way the hard way and plays with heart. Green has got to ride him these remaining games so we can really see what he has got. The games mean nothing to the team but everything for guys auditioning for next year, so let them play.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:46 am Ya I was impressed with Graovac last game as well. He is a big body that dishes the puck well. He plays a physical game and has a wicked shot. He was looking ok in the dot too. His speed may be a factor especially in getting back for the back check but I was impressed with how he moved.

He does not look like a lazy player who cheats out there. I think he has had to earn his way the hard way and plays with heart. Green has got to ride him these remaining games so we can really see what he has got. The games mean nothing to the team but everything for guys auditioning for next year, so let them play.
Just wait til Green yanks him out of the lineup and injects sutter back in there.

Everybody hates Travis now