2014-15 Utica Comets

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: 2014-15 Utica Comets

Post by Hockey Widow »

For a moment I thought we were in the Utica Comets thread. Glad I cleared that up. Oh wait......
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Comets up 2-1 after the first. Monarch's starter Berube injured in the first, looked serious. Their back up just got back from injury and was a game time decision, no practice etc. their only other goalie is a kid they signed this morning from the ECHL.

This is very definetly a chance for the Comets to get back into this series.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Comets win 3-2. Game 4 & 5 go Friday and Saturday in Utica.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Jensen with a couple goals so far this series. Seems like the kid has reacted the right way towards being taken out of the lineup. We'll see if he keeps it up. IMO he's still trade bait but ya never know if he turns it around.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Virtanen scratched tonight, out with an illness. Hopefully he will be ready to go Friday. Sven sure is fast, sound defensively and strong on the boards but he seems to have trouble going to the net with the puck. I really liked Gaunce's game, all series really. I think he has potential as a third or fourth line winger. Grenier too I like and I think he either gets traded, as he would need to clear wIvers next year, or he beats out Virtanen for a spot on the roster.
The Monarchs have a good team but they lost two key players tonite, Berube in net, and their leading point getter up front. They play a King's style, hard on the forechecking and crash the net.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Lancer wrote:Jensen with a couple goals so far this series. Seems like the kid has reacted the right way towards being taken out of the lineup. We'll see if he keeps it up. IMO he's still trade bait but ya never know if he turns it around.
Yeah, great to see. Hopefully he's showing signs that he has that clutch player ability within him. Really hope he comes to camp next season and gives it his all and shows that he can be an NHL player. Probably his last kick @ the can with us, I am rooting for him and hope he makes the jump.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Lancer wrote:Jensen with a couple goals so far this series. Seems like the kid has reacted the right way towards being taken out of the lineup. We'll see if he keeps it up. IMO he's still trade bait but ya never know if he turns it around.
Yeah, great to see. Hopefully he's showing signs that he has that clutch player ability within him. Really hope he comes to camp next season and gives it his all and shows that he can be an NHL player. Probably his last kick @ the can with us, I am rooting for him and hope he makes the jump.
After reading Bennings less than encouraging opinion on Jensen, I'd be surprised if he was in a Canucks uni come September.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Utica down 2-0 after 1. They're likely done.

Nice run, boys, Manchester is simply a better team.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Utica falls 2-1. Manchester takes the Calder Cup 4-1. They were the better team by a long shot throughout the series. Great run for Utica.

The draft is almost upon us :mrgreen:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BladesofSteel wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
After reading Bennings less than encouraging opinion on Jensen, I'd be surprised if he was in a Canucks uni come September.
One thing I like about Benning is he doesn't hold back his opinions on prospects, he was not a fan of Dane Fox when asked about him and he seems to have the same less enthusiasm for Jensen and Shinkaruk. He's a scout who can quickly surmize a kids potential. The only prospects he seems to gush over are Virtanen, McCann, Cassels, Demko, Hutton and lately Grenier. He seems lukewarm in his opinions of Gaunce and Corrado. When he talks about Subban it's always a "He's a decent prospect but...."
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
One thing I like about Benning is he doesn't hold back his opinions on prospects, he was not a fan of Dane Fox when asked about him and he seems to have the same less enthusiasm for Jensen and Shinkaruk. He's a scout who can quickly surmize a kids potential. The only prospects he seems to gush over are Virtanen, McCann, Cassels, Demko, Hutton and lately Grenier. He seems lukewarm in his opinions of Gaunce and Corrado. When he talks about Subban it's always a "He's a decent prospect but...."
Sooooo basically his draft picks and few others. Although, there really hasn't been much to gush over when thinking of this teams draft record for the past 10 years. Three players drafted with over 100 GP since the 2005 draft, none remain with the Canucks, one is Cody Hodgson. Chicago's 2011 draft class alone has played a combined 499 NHL games. The Canucks 2007-2013 (7 Drafts!) classes have played 596, 289 of which are Cody Hodgson. Yuck.

So yeah, I guess the bar has been set pretty low for 'ol Jim.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Well I would put Gillis picks - Gaunce and Corrado in the mix of what Jimmy likes. So that's 5 Gillis picks he likes vs 3 of his he likes. He just seems to drool over Virtanen, McCann, Cassels, Demko and Hutton more so than any of the other prospects but lately Grenier has been getting the Benning gush.

It's not just Benning who is down on Jensen and Shinkaruks potential, it's pretty universal, Let's face it, the 6 drafts in the Gillis era was pretty awful.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote: It's not just Benning who is down on Jensen and Shinkaruks potential, it's pretty universal, Let's face it, the 6 drafts in the Gillis era was pretty awful.
Yep. Anyone know if the Canucks went ISIS and massacred their scouting staff when Linden/Benning took over? If not, why didn't they?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: It's not just Benning who is down on Jensen and Shinkaruks potential, it's pretty universal, Let's face it, the 6 drafts in the Gillis era was pretty awful.
Yep. Anyone know if the Canucks went ISIS and massacred their scouting staff when Linden/Benning took over? If not, why didn't they?
This is the real question isn't it. Would love to know whether anything has been done. Is Delorme still leading the charge?
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
This is the real question isn't it. Would love to know whether anything has been done. Is Delorme still leading the charge?
Nope Benning is as his specialty is scouting, whereas Gillis relied on his staff but the final decision was his as always is with every GM, well unless you have Meddling owners. Gillis is more cut out for the role as a president than a GM since he had zero experience in front office work with any team. Seems to be the way things are going now the president and GM partnerships. Scouts with loads of experience are obviously better at team building player decisions and development than Players Agents. Gillis was a control freak which was his undoing, should have hired a proper GM and just stayed on as President