Comets in Abbotsford

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Comets in Abbotsford

Post by mathonwy »

The Comets are in Abbotsford for a back-to-back.

I just got my tickets. Anyone else going? :D
dbr
CC Legend

Re: Comets in Abbotsford

Post by dbr »

Nope.

That said you might get a decent lineup unlike the dog's breakfast they've been serving up in Utica all year long.

Schroeder should (rust aside) instantly be one of the best players on the ice and if Vinny Prospal is playing he might be as well.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Cheap tix. Only $40!

6 game losing streak broken last game with a 3-1 win over the Hamilton Bulldogs.

Well... at least they're scoring goals. :lol:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

mathonwy wrote:Well... at least they're scoring goals. :lol:
Someone has to.... :roll:

Are the games going to be sold out?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Utica is the worst team (15th) in the AHL Western conference with 31 points
VS the Heat are the 4th with 54 points.

Tonight's Utica Comets game was indicative of what's currently going with the Canucks

No goals and plumber hockey.

Comets 0 for 5 on the PP, Heat 0 for 6 on the PP.

Schroeder floated around a lot and was pretty soft on the puck. He was given a lot of ice time though and "ran" the PP. Wasn't impressed at all.

Jensen barely got any minutes. Wasn't sure if he was a 3rd liner or a 4th liner. Had a couple inspired shifts in the third but over all, quite forgettable.

Yann Suave wasn't very good at the beginning of the game but really picked his game up toward the end and I saw flashes of a good puck handling defensemen. He's only 23 so he could still turn into an NHL player yet. He and Corrado formed the top pairing.

Corrado was pretty solid the entire night. Neither too defensive nor too offensive. A tweener like Hamhuis.

Archibald got a tonne of ice time tonight and put in a decent effort. He doesn't have the greatest hands but he "could" turn into a good crash and banger Hartnell type of player. Not a very high probability though.

Eriksson played a brilliant game. The Heat had a lot better scoring chances than the Comets did but Eriksson put up a brick wall. Had a little bit of a rebound issue but nothing major. He was the first star and basically stole the game singlehandedly from the Heat. Good to see him steal a win after what happened in Anaheim.

Watching tonight's Utica Comet's game depressed the crap out of me. The Comet's are tied for 30th in the entire AHL and have scored the least amount of goals with 91 from 38 games and it's because it's an entire team of 3rd and 4th liners. Based on these stats, it's a miracle that I even got to see a win tonight.

Yeah, they actually won.. and in OT. Benn Ferriero surprised the Heat's goalie with a quick snapper.
Last edited by mathonwy on Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Cornuck wrote:
mathonwy wrote:Well... at least they're scoring goals. :lol:
Someone has to.... :roll:

Are the games going to be sold out?
Not even close. The "stadium" was about 3/5's full which I would say is not very good considering who was in town.

Equal parts Canuck/Comets fans and Heat fan.

I wonder what the attendance is on non-Comet nights..
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

It's a great day for hockey!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Utica - bare witness, see with your own eyes, the amazing drafting and developing that the Mike Gillis regime has accomplished here, something he vowed would be better than Dave Nonis at. LMAO
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Beauty save by Eriksson there on Granlund in the first period.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

It's a great day for hockey!