Nashville: Game Two
Now that was a long night. Hands up everyone who wished the Predators had scored twice in the last 70 seconds of regulation rather than just once? At least it would have saved a couple of hours that none of us will ever retrieve. As I said a couple of days ago, I have a lot of respect for David Poile – enough that I generally hope that Nashville does well – but I’m already plenty tired of watching his hockey team play.
Thoughts on a long, boring night:
1) Ryan Kesler had another great night. If there is someone who deserves to score about three goals tuesday night, its Kesler. Unfortunately it will be another night of dump it in, dump it out and do it all over again.
2) The Sedins struggled throughout regulation, but then managed to play an excellent period in the first overtime. If they don’t get going, the Canucks won’t get going. Vigneault tried almost everyone with them as the night went on except what he should have done from the outset – give them Burrows back. Next game, for sure.
3) Luongo played great until the 18:53 mark of the third period. Still it was somehow fitting that the Predators tied it with that kind of goal. If the Canuck year is going to end in disappointment, the hockey gods certainly appear they are going to make it as difficult as possible.
4) The Canuck game plan should be to play the game as tight as the Predators play because Nashville’s offense depends on turnovers. For the most part, the Canucks executed well in that respect. They did not, however, execute well when they did have an opportunity to put the game away. On their best chances, they often didn’t even get a shot.
5) This is a series where the Canucks should have a significant advantage on special teams. That advantage can’t exist if the officials continue to ignore most infractions. I’d still prefer too few penalties over too many, but it would be nice to see the Canucks get some opportunity to score a power play goal.
6) There will be plenty of teeth gnashing between now and Tuesday, but I think the Canucks will come out like gangbusters. They do have the better team here.