Friday, October 24th, 2014

Game Six

Well, the result wasn’t very good, but at least Alain Vigneault’s team put a good game on the ice. On the night, I thought the Canucks deserved better. If they do as well on Tuesday, I think they’ll win.

Other random thoughts:

1) I didn’t agree with Vigneault’s decision to start Schneider but I understand his thinking. If the Canucks win, great. If the Canucks lose, he comes back with Luongo in game seven. On the other hand, if he went with Luongo and Roberto played poorly, his decision in game seven would be a nightmare.

Schneider made some nice saves, but he did misplay the puck into two easy Chicago goals.

2) I did like the way Vigneault managed his bench throughout the game. All three lines he chose to play when he shortened the bench played well. The top four defensemen – Bieksa, Hamhuis, Edler and Ehrhoff – were excellent after Salo was hurt.

3) Will the Canucks get a call in this series? I didn’t like the penalty shot – was Frolik really in alone? – decision at all. Its okay to clean the ice when the Hawks are caught on an icing? The Hawks shoot it out of play and none of the officials know if it should be a penalty. Raffi Torres gets a dubious goaltender interference penalty. Brian Bickell lays out Kevin Bieksa with a headshot that produced nothing.

I don’t know what is a good or bad call any more, but it would be nice to get one, just once in a while.

4) A loss is a loss, but at least it was a fun game to watch.

Go Canucks.

Comments

9 Responses to “Game Six”
  1. Boxcar says:

Ahh so it’s not the Sedin’s lack of performance or Luongo’s play. It’s the bad calls that have led to dropping three in a row.
    Frolik was definitely in all alone. Torres deserved the goalie interference and Bickell,… well see Raffi Torres/ Brent Seabrooke. The other calls, maybe. On the other hand, your Canucks did play their best game yet. If Louongo plays a decent game and the boys play like they did tonight, you’ll win.

2. Magicpie says:

Man I have to say I came into this post expecting a bit more panic. This is a surprisingly calm response to a game that brought us to the brink of what could be the most epic and embarrassing first round collapse in the history of the NHL.

I thought it was a bad decision too, for two reasons:

a) You’re basically admitting to the Hawks that they’re in your head (or at least Luongo’s head). We’re the President’s trophy winners, and we were up 3-2 in the series going into the game. They’re an 8th seed who backed into the playoffs on the last day of the season. They’re supposed to be adapting to us, not the other way around. If things really were “different this year” as the players kept saying before the playoffs then we’d stick with the players who brought us here instead of making panic personnel moves.

b) The psychological effect it would have on Luongo. He already gets crap from around the league for not being a clutch goalie. With this decision they basically confirmed to everyone that they don’t trust him to win a big game (Ron Mclean’s tone when he announced that Luongo was not in fact injured during last night broadcast was priceless, btw). How does this not kill his confidence for the rest of the playoffs? I’m also worried that this vote of non-confidence might poison his relationship with AV/the team, and we’ve got him signed for 11 more years.

Man I have to say I came into this post expecting a bit more panic.

Will it help? I’ll panic if it helps.

I don’t think I said this. I’m just saying that all the marginal calls are going the wrong way. The breaks, period, in last night’s game.

• Boxcar says:

Well the Gm took to the airways today and blasted the officiating in the series. He is either trying to get a break on the next call, or set up an excuse if the Canucks drop game seven. Either way, its getting nauseating listening to every fan, coach, player and Gm whine about suspensions and officiating. Lindy Ruff of the Sabres was on the verge of tears while sobbing about the hit on Connolly. Gamemanship or not, its playoff time girls, time to cowboy up as they say and play hockey.

Its a tradition. A waste of time. It will not make for a break in game seven and even if the complaint was absolutely valid and the actual reason the team loses, it won’t fly either with fans or the media.

• Rajeev says:

The calls in game 6 went wildly in favor of Chicago, and Vancouver still nearly won the game (and despite two horrific dman exchanges by Schneider, who was fantastic otherwise). With respect to the officiating, I guess the questions are 1) does the fact that Chicago advancing will generate far more revenue due to the old deal with NBC play any role? 2) can the refs really be that bad? 3) does it matter?

I hope not. I think lots of people will probably believe it though.

2) can the refs really be that bad?

3) does it matter?

Probably not yet. Every time we see an accusation of bias – as opposed to incompetence – the league reacts like it has been scalded. Over the past few years, there have been more and more aspersions cast upon the league integrity. I think the league is afraid to overtly fix games.

If they thought they could get away with it, though…