The Next 'C' - Vote for your choice.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who Should Be The New Canucks Captain?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:19 pm

RYAN KESLER
54%
HENRIK SEDIN
38%
DANIEL SEDIN
No votes
DAN HAMHUIS
No votes
KEITH BALLARD
No votes
KEVIN BIEKSA
3%
SAMI SALO
No votes
SHANE O'BRIEN
3%
MIKAEL SAMUELSSON
No votes
TONY GALLAGHER
3%

Total votes: 39

Arachnid
CC Legend

The Next 'C' - Vote for your choice.

Post by Arachnid »

Vote & Argue!

RK for Kaptain because that's what he does...just ask Bobby Clarke 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: The Next 'C' - Vote for your choice.

Post by woodhog »

I think Burrows would probably get more votes than Shane "the role model" O'Brien.
Even Gallagher will probably finish ahead of Shane.

As LB said in the other thread regarding Lou giving up the "C", "The Captain should represent the team, for the team. Not for us 'fans'."
So, it doesn't matter who we want to be Captain ... it matters who the Canucks want to be Captain.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Imo the most logical choice is Henrik. Topscorer, franchise player, not dumb, well accepted within the team, generous in life outside the rink..... six minutes older than his brother, seems like the perfect choice. If he just would be canadian, hey wait his children are....
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
trouble

Post by trouble »

Ya i gotta go with RK.. The guy is the perfect captain. He wears his heart on his sleave
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

I have no problem with Henrik, but Kesler is my pick for captain.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Look, I really like Henrik (both Sedins, actually) and his work ethic. There is no questioning their heart and their commitment, their talent. Not only to the team (with the pay cut) but the city (with the donations). I'm of Swedish decent. Not American, can't really stand the Yanks much, but my instinct (the same instinct that defended the Sisters from the beginning that they would some day rise above) tell me that Ryan Kesler is the man.
If Trevor Linden was the Saviour then RK is the Anti-Christ. He is a little mean, a little obtuse and definitely immature but perhaps this is just what he needs to make it to the next level. Everyone grows up, eventually (except me says Tom Waits) and Kesler will not always run his mouth off to get under his opponents skin. He's a smart guy. He will figure it out and becoming Captain will play a remarkable role in this.
A lot on here say it is not up to fans and is true (perhaps it should read 'Who do you think SHOULD be the next Captain?'). It is a team thing. But that said, the team doesn't really even need a Captain. They know who the leaders are. It was that way with Naslund and with Luongo. What they need now is someone that will have that one thing that a lot of our C's haven't had and that is a passion that burns deep within their heart. The one where they always wake every morning with one dream in life, to win the Stanley Cup.
Call me selfish.
Last edited by Arachnid on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
hamiltoncanucks
CC Veteran

Post by hamiltoncanucks »

I love Kesler and the way he plays the game and how he wears his heart on his sleeve and if you asked me last season he would've been my definite choice for the 'C'. The only knock against Kesler in my opinion is a lack of maturity, we say we love his style and that he chirps and is dirty and will do whatever it takes to win but in the playoffs last year when we got away from our style of game and tried to get cocky and play chicagos game we fell apart and were more worried about retaliation than winning and I think Kesler as a captain represents this to a degree. Hes my favourite player on the Nucks but hes not ready to be a captain.
But the reason Im going with Hank is not the points or awards but that he is NOT the same as our last Swedish captain. Hank has heart (not that Naslund didnt/doesnt) but Hank does show it as well. My best example of this is in game 4 vs. LA when Hank scores our 5th goal to take the lead and win the game his reaction is all heart. As soon as the Canucks breakout of their end you know they are scoring and its because our best player and leader is about to make it happen. Watch the clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4YZHZzis_Y)
(start around the 3:40 mark) and tell me theres any doubt hes our leader, watch the breakout, the goal and the celebration, listen to the announcers. That to me is the best onice example of why Hank should have the C. But hey if Kes gets the C I'll be happy with that too.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

hamiltoncanucks wrote:I love Kesler and the way he plays the game and how he wears his heart on his sleeve and if you asked me last season he would've been my definite choice for the 'C'. The only knock against Kesler in my opinion is a lack of maturity, we say we love his style and that he chirps and is dirty and will do whatever it takes to win but in the playoffs last year when we got away from our style of game and tried to get cocky and play chicagos game we fell apart and were more worried about retaliation than winning and I think Kesler as a captain represents this to a degree. Hes my favourite player on the Nucks but hes not ready to be a captain.
But the reason Im going with Hank is not the points or awards but that he is NOT the same as our last Swedish captain. Hank has heart (not that Naslund didnt/doesnt) but Hank does show it as well. My best example of this is in game 4 vs. LA when Hank scores our 5th goal to take the lead and win the game his reaction is all heart. As soon as the Canucks breakout of their end you know they are scoring and its because our best player and leader is about to make it happen. Watch the clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4YZHZzis_Y)
(start around the 3:40 mark) and tell me theres any doubt hes our leader, watch the breakout, the goal and the celebration, listen to the announcers. That to me is the best onice example of why Hank should have the C. But hey if Kes gets the C I'll be happy with that too.
No question HS shows his heart and emotion more than Naslund did. Trouble is Markus wore his sadness too which effected the whole team. Don't see that problem with Hank. Nothing has fazed the twins over the years. And I am not against Henrik being Captain because he is Swedish or EuroSoft. Lidstrom proved everyone wrong (myself included) when he led his team to a championship. Indeed, if 33 is made Captain then I will be prouder than ever to wear my Vancouver Sedin jersey.
There is just something about Kesler. A quality that cannot be measured in talent or contract or charity work or even his on/off ice persona. As I said before the reason Bobby Clarke tried to get him was to make him a great leader, his future warrior. It is that time for Kesler. Linden saw this too when he first arrived in Van. I saw it when he played for Columbus and for the Moose (thank the Hockey Gods we got rid of the anti-leader RJ). We saw it in the Olympics when he played for the U.S....(if you want video wars then you gots video wars... :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9NDguqiWDU & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-hUI1YU ... re=related :drink: )

Oh yeah baby, I want more of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAlrt9JS ... re=related
hamiltoncanucks
CC Veteran

Post by hamiltoncanucks »

Arachnid I totally agree with you about Kesler and I think he has the potential to be an amazing leader and like you said guys like Linden and Clarke have taken notice of this as well. I think we are in an amazing position to have two great candidates to lead our team. Whichever gets the C definately deserves it. It just speaks to how ready this team should be to take the next step. We have depth throughout our lineup and what appears to be a strong leadership core (adding vets like Hamhuis and Ballard as well Samuelsson last year) just makes our team deeper talent and leadership wise.
And on the video war front I will see your cheesy nhl2k Kesler stuff and raise you twin related humour http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlk2qzrex2Q and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdXPcGCCUjQ
and also if you watch my previous clip go to the 7 min mark and check out the tshirt on the blonde in the front Kesler's writers for nhl2k just cant compete with the home grown stuff lol
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Personally, I don't think it really matters who is captain as long as the players on the Canucks have respect for each other while they are on the ice, but since lettered players do have a role: go with three A's or rotate the C through the lineup until the end of the year. There are three new veteran players: Malholtra, Hamhuis and Ballard who have NTC's that put them with the Canuck's for three years or longer and may merit consideration after becoming established with the Canucks. Then choose who is to be the captain. It may be that established players who are possible immediate choices might feel a bit snubbed, but it ain't a junior high school election so I doubt anyone is going to get too bent.

If the choice is to be made now and the Canuck's want a captain who is epitomized by his never quit attitude then Kesler is is the favorite. The downside is that he is an agitator and a bit of a yapper and may not always be seen in a kindly light by the officials. I don't know whether his comments about player's taking discounted contracts has affected his reputation amongst his team mates, but it certainly does raise questions about whether he is one who will adequately consider the ramifications of what he says before he says it.

If the criteria is a player that goes out and never complains and quietly and competently goes about his business, then Henrik Sedin is the choice for captain. He certainly would have the respect of the refs. The downside is that his style isn't exactly infectious and unfortunately (if it matters) his consistency sputters somewhat against elite competition (ie 2nd round of the playoffs last year), but he is definitely an all round class act both on and off the ice.
thebtus
AHL Prospect

Post by thebtus »

gotta say that my heart is with Kesler on this one, I hope if he is awarded the captaincy, he knows when to show his emotion and when to keep his mouth shut, I see that as the only downfall. A captain has to know when to be professional at all times but also how to motivate the guys, sometimes a bit of a tough balancing act.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

First of all, even Linden himself said that the importance of the C is overrated. Players know who are the leaders and who they respect. I think every player won't have trouble with either Henrik or Kesler as the captain. But I think officials do prefer talking to someone that doesn't use his mouth to get his opponents off their game. Henrik carried the team not only when Daniel was out but also when the team needed leadership against the Kings. Kesler will keep his A and one day he could wear the letter C.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Bah, this is all much ado about nothin', but I voted for Henrik. Same opinion as others about Kesler, I love him but I think you want someone a little less fired up talking to the refs. And the press. And speaking for the players. And obviously these Sedin's have the thickest skins of anyone that has ever lived so either of them could no doubt take the heat.

Plus nobody knows one from the other, so if Henrik needs an off day from dealing with the media, then send out Daniel. Nobody would know any difference. (That means my real vote is the Henrik-Daniel tandem).
WpgJets
CC Veteran

Post by WpgJets »

My vote was Henrik because I'd prefer him talking to the refs when there is a need to do so.

Agree with many others re: leadership in the locker room.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Either/or pretty much.

Kesler could take it to a new level being the captain. Or he could let it all go to his head and implode completely. Really is a coin toss.

Hank will get tossed under the bus ASAP when (IF??) the Canucks don't win the cup this year. That's a bit much, but welcome to Vancouver, I guess.

Either way, if there's nobody that can handle the media pressure around THIS city, we're screwed.

Pick one of the two and let's get this season rockin'!