Canucks Pre-draft Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: Canucks Pre-draft Thread

Post by Arachnid »

From CBC mock draft...

25. Vancouver: Beau Bennett (RW — Penticton — BCHL)

Bennett put up 120 points to win the BCHL scoring title (he tied for points with Salmon Arm's Mark Zengerle but had more goals, 41 to Zengerle's 33) and turned scouts' heads across North America. Bennett is a wildly creative player who opens up ice for his teammates and also has a great finishing touch, as his 41 goals would attest. He still needs time to fill out his frame (6'1 175) and develop his skills. He'll do that next year at the University of Denver.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2 ... z0rfr9ZavP

Anyone seen the kid play?I still want D, you hear me MG? D D D D D D D D D D D! What my kids call me! :evil:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Most analysts seem to agree on the Canucks selecting this guy

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=7930

Tyler Pitlick

Me I think some how MG might go off the board and draft a European player. He said recently he wouldn't mind trading down for a couple of 2 nd round picks which kinda leaves you to believe he has a relatively unknown player outside of the normal 1st round list ?
cheers
hamiltoncanucks
CC Veteran

Post by hamiltoncanucks »

Gillis wouldnt mind trading down because after the top 15 or so the draft is wide open, no clear consensus. Besides the 25th overall is basically an early 2nd round pick. So if he moves the 25th and gets two 2nd rounders or a 2nd a 3rd it allows us to draft two potential players instead of one.
That being said the top 15 are supposed to be good NHLers one day and I wouldnt mind Gillis trying for Florida's 15th overall. Apparently the Panthers are looking for a scoring forward so maybe Raymond for the pick and then we would have the 15th and 25th and potentially two 1st round defenseman in the system.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

hamiltoncanucks wrote:Gillis wouldnt mind trading down because after the top 15 or so the draft is wide open, no clear consensus. Besides the 25th overall is basically an early 2nd round pick. So if he moves the 25th and gets two 2nd rounders or a 2nd a 3rd it allows us to draft two potential players instead of one.
That being said the top 15 are supposed to be good NHLers one day and I wouldnt mind Gillis trying for Florida's 15th overall. Apparently the Panthers are looking for a scoring forward so maybe Raymond for the pick and then we would have the 15th and 25th and potentially two 1st round defenseman in the system.
Exactly he has a good handle on players he feel will still be there in the second so why choose one if he can get 2 in the second round. I don't like the idea of trading a 25 goal scorer for an unknown draft pick. Raymond is likely on the vege of becoming a quality first two line forward. Unless he's thinking of gambling with Grabner in hope of getting a hard nose player at the 15th spot
cheers
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Fred wrote:I don't like the idea of trading a 25 goal scorer for an unknown draft pick. Raymond is likely on the vege of becoming a quality first two line forward.
No kidding. Top-15 draft picks are anything but sure-things, nor are they usually ready to step into a role on the team right out of the draft. Unless you move into the top-5, I don't think you want to regress like that unless it's a cap issue.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Farhan Lalji wrote:My vote is Tinordi. I REALLY hope we get this guy. It might be a bit of a risk, but the rewards could be HUGE.
So.... who's your 2nd choice?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

4th round...Canucks draft Adam Polasek from the QMJHL.

He has to turn out better than Libor did. :(
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

In the 4th round the Canucks take PATRICK MCNALLY ranked 44th by Central Scouting

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/1 ... k_mcnally/

In the 5th round they take Adam Polasek

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/5750

in the 6th ALEX FRIESEN

Name: Alex Friesen
Number: 8
Pos.: C
Shoots: L
Height: 5.10
Weight: 189
Birthdate: 1991-01-30
Birthplace:
Hometown: Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON

and the 7th Finnish goalie JONATHAN IILAHTI
cheers
trouble

Post by trouble »

4 25 115 VAN PATRICK MCNALLY D US 6' 2" 180 HIGH-MA MILTON ACADEMY
5 25 145 VAN ADAM POLASEK D CZ 6' 3" 190 QMJHL PEI
6 22 172 VAN ALEX FRIESEN C CA 5' 9" 186 OHL NIAGARA
6 25 175 VAN JONATHAN IILAHTI G FI 6' 0" 167 FINLAND-JR. BLUES JR.
7 25 205 VAN SAWYER HANNAY D CA 6' 4" 190 QMJHL HALIFAX
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

HEY I got the guy I recommended SAWYER HANNAY that's the guy I suggested middle of last week a kid from NB big and mean
Last edited by Fred on Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Our 6th rd. pick, Alex Friesen gained a bit of notoriety by laying out Taylor Hall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV14jLzRW5M

Nice to see that we picked up some defensive prospects as expected.
Both McNally and Polasek have some offensive talent.
Last edited by woodhog on Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Have to say I was hoping we were going to keep the 25th and take a big chance on Kabanov. Definitely a big risk, but had a good chance of reward as well. Could have traded the 25th off for a second and 3rd and still picked him up while still getting another prospect. Oh well, no use crying over spilled milk. It will be interesting to see if Kabanov smartens up or ruins what has the potential to be a promising carreer.

Edit:

Do really like the McNally pick.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

DonCherry4PM wrote:Have to say I was hoping we were going to keep the 25th and take a big chance on Kabanov.
I have to say I'm happy that we turned the 25th into a proven, solid NHL veteran defenseman. No gambles. No waiting.
I'm tired of waiting.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Well, if Gillis doesn't do a lot more than Ballard to shore up our defense you will be waiting a lot longer.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

DonCherry4PM wrote:Well, if Gillis doesn't do a lot more than Ballard to shore up our defense you will be waiting a lot longer.
MG has already stated that he's not finished with the defense and that he hopes to obtain a player or two in the FA market.
He also intends to shore up the forwards, possibly with a FA player.