Hamhuis and Philly are not close to a deal

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

trouble

Hamhuis and Philly are not close to a deal

Post by trouble »

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/print_la ... feedID=704&

Hamhuis talks
No goalie on the horizon for the Flyers, and the talks between the club and Dan Hamhuis’ camp have not yielded anything substantial. Sources say the two sides are not even close to a deal. Holmgren would like to return to Philly this weekend with Hamhuis locked up. Unless things pick up quickly, that won’t happen.

.......................................................................................................................

Maybe he doesn't wanna play for the Flyer and will wait till July 1st to sign with his home town :D
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Re: Hamhuis and Philly are not close to a deal

Post by the toucan kid »

Just seems like a dumb move by Philly, I mean why wouldn't he go UFA even if he does end up with Philly after all? I just don't get that move.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

the toucan kid wrote:Just seems like a dumb move by Philly, I mean why wouldn't he go UFA even if he does end up with Philly after all? I just don't get that move.
Because Calgary got the D-man they wanted last season after trading for him just before July 1st, Philly overestimated the chance of signing Hamhuis before July 1. Couldn't they make the deal conditional upon Hamhuis signing?
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Why would Nashville make that deal? Doesn't benefit them in the slightest.

Philly gambled & won w/ Hartnell & Timonen....looks like they lost this one. Meh, who cares they're just greedy anyways, their problem was not defence...they just address their goaltending deficiencies imo. The only reason Boucher & Leighton look THAT good is their blueline is so awesome, in the end their ok goaltending wasn't enough.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

ClamRussel wrote:Why would Nashville make that deal? Doesn't benefit them in the slightest.
Because if they don't make any deal, they get nothing. Philly seriously overpaid.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Kel wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:Why would Nashville make that deal? Doesn't benefit them in the slightest.
Because if they don't make any deal, they get nothing. Philly seriously overpaid.
So thats the risk they take if they want exclusive negotiating rights. Buyer beware.
If I was a GM holding his rights it would be all or nothing, losing & gaining players is just a fact of life in the new NHL.
Tough titty for Philly.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

If I was a GM holding his rights it would be all or nothing, losing & gaining players is just a fact of life in the new NHL.
I don't understand, are you saying it was unwise for Nashville to take Parent instead of nothing, knowing they wouldn't be re-signing Hamhuis?
WpgJets
CC Veteran

Post by WpgJets »

Sounds like rights to negotiate with Hamhuis were just traded to Pittsburgh in exchange for a 3rd round pick next year.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

the toucan kid wrote:
I don't understand, are you saying it was unwise for Nashville to take Parent instead of nothing, knowing they wouldn't be re-signing Hamhuis?
No they did exactly the right thing. It was suggested Philly should have made the deal contingent on actually signing Hamhuis and I was saying Nashville has no motivation to make that deal. They put the heat on the Flyers, its a gamble and for the gift of negotiating prior to July 1st you have to pay for it.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Flyers trade Hamhuis right to Pitts
cheers
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

So bye bye Gonchar?

Well, you would have to figure that if there's no deal there pretty quick, then his heart is set here.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

the toucan kid wrote:So bye bye Gonchar?

Well, you would have to figure that if there's no deal there pretty quick, then his heart is set here.
Gonchar reportedly wants a three year deal and given that he is thirty-seven should he retire after year one, the remaining two years of his contract continue to count against the cap. If Gillis goes for that besides having rocks in his head, he had better win the cup.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Arbour wrote:
the toucan kid wrote:So bye bye Gonchar?

Gonchar reportedly wants a three year deal and given that he is thirty-seven should he retire after year one, the remaining two years of his contract continue to count against the cap. If Gillis goes for that besides having rocks in his head, he had better win the cup.
I didn't consider the idea of Gonchar coming here. I don't like that it AT ALL.

And what does Pittsburgh know about Hamhuis that Philly didn't?
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Oh christ, I wasn't trying to imply WE should go after Gonchar, just that Pitt might be trying to jump in on Hamhuis because they've hit the wall with Gonchar. Sorry.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Sid Dithers wrote:I didn't consider the idea of Gonchar coming here. I don't like that it AT ALL.

And what does Pittsburgh know about Hamhuis that Philly didn't?
It was an odd move for Philly to go after Hamhuis considering they were already relatively set on defence and assuming Hamhuis's demands are around $4.5 mil, his salary would put them over the cap with Coburn still unsigned and their goal tending still a question mark. My only guess is that they may have been looking to move a forward, Gagne the most likely choice, but he has a no trade clause, so of the remaining contracts the only other forward in that range would be Carter at $5.0 mil. Given the rumblings out of Philly it is strange that Holmgren didn't go after a goaltender first, but maybe that's next on the list now that Hamhuis didn't pan out.