Canucks Pre-draft Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Canucks Pre-draft Thread

Post by Cornuck »

It's coming up soon - who do you want the team to pick and why?

Here's one article giving some options: LINK

Should Gillis try to move up?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Canucks Pre-draft Thread

Post by Canuck-One »

I would like McIlraith and I hope Gillis does whatever it takes to get him. I do however agree that he won't be there at 25, so Gillis will have to move up a bit. Here's a link to some hockey writers views about him.

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-hockey- ... -mcilrath/
trouble

Post by trouble »

I kinda hope Gillis pulls off a trade for the first pick.. Either 2, 2nd rounders or a 2nd and a 3rd

Once you get past the first 15 picks there is really not much there. Better off taking a couple picks in the 2nd or 3rd
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

I much prefer our odds of landing a player w/ a 1st...never know who might fall a la Schroeder.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
trouble

Post by trouble »

ClamRussel wrote:I much prefer our odds of landing a player w/ a 1st...never know who might fall a la Schroeder.
Ya if there is a player like Schroeder then ya Take it.. But the draft this year is not deep and i doubt there will be much at the 25 selection
. Gillis can always wait till his pick come and if nothing there have a trade ready
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Look I would move this pick in a heartbeat if it can be a decider in a package.

That said, I expect we'll pick whatever D man is roughly at-slot with us. Hope it works out.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Canuck-One wrote:I would like McIlraith and I hope Gillis does whatever it takes to get him. I do however agree that he won't be there at 25, so Gillis will have to move up a bit. Here's a link to some hockey writers views about him.

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-hockey- ... -mcilrath/

The Hockey news has him listed at #26 & International scouting Services #38. There's quiet a few big "D" who have more skill, he's a bit one diamensional
cheers
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

There's quiet a few big "D" who have more skill, he's a bit one diamensional
Then, please, don't take him.

But, let's not do that one again...
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

The more I read about Skinner, the more I like him... even though he would be yet another smallish, skilled centre. That said, I would be surprised if he's still around at #25 because it seems he has a number of teams interested in him.

McIlrath, if he can be adequately developed, can be a good pick-up and a tough, mean D-man is never a bad thing to draft, but it's a question of how high is his ceiling? If he can develop his skating and puck-handling (nothing that can't be taught), who knows? He seems 'boom or bust' though.

Seems to me that this draft could produce a lot of players picked later this 1st round that teams will be kicking themselves over not picking them. Sounds like more of a crap-shoot than usual, which puts the onus on the scouting depts. If it weren't for my son's birthday party, I'd be glued to the TV on Saturday.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

I'd be happy with either of these two:

22. JONATHAN MERRILL

2009-10 Team: USNTDP League: USHL
Position: Defence Height: 6-3
2009-10 Stats: 22 GP, 8 A, 9 PTS Weight: 198 lbs.
Scouting Ranking
NHL Central Scouting: 21 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 11, The Hockey News: No. 31
The Insider Says
Bob McKenzie: The Team USA Under-18 defenceman was suspended for eight games by USA Hockey for off-ice disciplinary reasons related to misbehaving in the school/social setting and many NHL scouts say Jonathan Merrill’s interviews at the NHL Central Scouting Combine were poor to say the least, but this is a talented offensive defenceman with terrific pro potential who, by all accounts, is focused on being a hockey player. If a team thinks the kid is simply immature as opposed to flawed, the sky’s the limit. If he slides, though, it suggests teams have concerns. He’s off to the University of Michigan next.

23. JARRED TINORDI

2009-10 Team: USNDTP League: USHL
Position: Defence Height: 6-6
2009-10 Stats: 26 GP, 4 G, 9 PTS Weight: 205 lbs.
Scouting Ranking
NHL Central Scouting: 38 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 25, The Hockey News: No. 22
The Insider Says
Bob McKenzie: The son of former NHL defenceman Mark Tinordi is an absolute physical beast, almost 6-foot-6 and still filling out a frame that is more than 200 pounds. He blew scouts away with physical testing at the Combine. He’s naturally aggressive, a heavy hitter, with outstanding leadership and character, as evidenced by his captaincy on what may be the best U.S. U-18 team ever. Tinordi will attend Notre Dame in the fall.

from TSN.ca
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

My vote is Tinordi. I REALLY hope we get this guy. It might be a bit of a risk, but the rewards could be HUGE.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

After our first round pick we don't have a further pick until the 4th round, at some stage this guy might look pretty good in a Canucks uniform

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Sports/1188478.html
cheers
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Tinordi sounds like he'd be a great pick for us...but I'm of the notion he gets more publicity like others in the past due to bloodlines...and that doesn't always translate into a successful pick. My gut says we'll be surprised like we are almost every year. Still I've gotta admit what I've read about Tinordi he'd work for me as our pick and really add to our weakness in terms of solid D prospects. Immediately he'd be our top guy imo.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
trouble

Post by trouble »

I don't think we will have a 1st round pick at 25th when the draft cames around. We will either move up or trade for 2 other picks.
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

I will trust the scouting staff to take a WHL canadian player at any postition.

Please no eastern, Q, off the board euro's for the first two rounds....then we will pick Gradin's super secret 5th round gem
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill