Canucks Sign Jordan Schroeder

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Sign Jordan Schroeder

Post by levelheaded »

Schroeder can be a good player, but he's got to prove that he didn't benefit entirely from playing with Ryan Stoa in his freshman year. If he'd been a highschool player going into college for his first year most fans would've been impressed with his performance, but his first year really set up his expectations.

He CAN be a good player, but unfortunately he'll never be a checker so he's still very much boom or bust. Hopefully he'll find his scoring touch in the AHL, man do they ever need it too.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

Was only comparing to Patrick White, where, if he Shroeder busts, GM MG can get us another Erhroff out of him.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

levelheaded wrote:Schroeder can be a good player, but he's got to prove that he didn't benefit entirely from playing with Ryan Stoa in his freshman year. If he'd been a highschool player going into college for his first year most fans would've been impressed with his performance, but his first year really set up his expectations.

He CAN be a good player, but unfortunately he'll never be a checker so he's still very much boom or bust. Hopefully he'll find his scoring touch in the AHL, man do they ever need it too.
Ya well the same can be said about Cody Hodgson benefitting from having Matt Duchene there....and pretty much any prospect. Until they arrive there will always be questions.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Jelly wrote:Was only comparing to Patrick White, where, if he Shroeder busts, GM MG can get us another Erhroff out of him.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Hopefully, except that by now signing Schroeder, he can't be turned into a compensatory 2nd round pick which was what I think the value of trading Pat White was to San Jose (plus cap space). A 2nd round pick is still valuable, a busted prospect not so much, so we've now made our bet on him by signing him.
Mark
Antony
CC Rookie

Post by Antony »

It's interesting. The two young guys who currently almost personify the Canucks, Borrows & Kelser, are fast, aggressive, two-way players who have pretty much set the tone for the team. Schroeder and Hodgson seem like far more passive, 'skilled' players who, at first blush, don't appear to fit the current mould.

Speed and tenacity (the US O team) seem better characteristics for the modern player than creativity and skill (Can, Swed, Russ O teams).

That game last night vs the Shark was a case in point: we out-skated them; even Wellwood out-skated them. Mason Raymond with a scoring touch is the new NHL prototype.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Antony wrote:Schroeder and Hodgson seem like far more passive, 'skilled' players who, at first blush, don't appear to fit the current mould.
I'd rather start with a talented kid who can learn what it takes to win at the NHL level. If these kids can play next year, they'll be learning from two of the best. They'll what these guys do and if they're smart, they'll follow the lead and combine that extra level of effort with their skill.

Of course, on the other hand, you have guys like Wellwood. He has the hands, but doesn't seem to care about the rest of the game - but seems to start giving a shit once the playoffs roll around. He knows what he had to do to keep a job, but doesn't go that extra mile.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

if Hodgson works half as hard as Burrows, then I think Toronto might implode.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Grabner came into the league as a floaty do nothing, and while he's not much of a defensive presence he's a hardworker with a nose for the net. Everyone loves a player who can play at both ends of the ice, but you still need score guys to put the puck in the net.

As for Hodgson being a permiter player, that's total hogwash. He's not a defensive forward, but he knows what he's doing in his own zone and is more than willing to head to the net to get the job done. The only time he's consistently on the halfboards on the PP and only then because he has great vision and a booming slapshot he can use as a weapon. People are quick to get down on players for any perceived mental indiscretion. He'll be a good player for us, mark my words. Also he never really played with Duchene, he anchored the second line while Duchene and Grachev were on the first. Stoa was stuck to Schroeder's wing like glue and was 5 years older than him, that's why I bring up the product of his linemates thing.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

I agree with a lot of people who point to his usual wingers being gone for Schroeder's numbers this season. As well, how many NHL players came from that college? Is it the prospect or the team/coaching/system in which they play? Look at Buckeye alumni Kesler and Umberger. Was White a miss or a possible hit who was wasted under Minnesota's coaching? I think there may have been significant pressure from management to get him to play for Everett vice Minnesota for that reason. Just a thought...

The other thing to consider is his point total at the WJHC. Granted he padded some stats against weak opposition, but give him quality wingers, and he has proven that he can produce. Now that he's in the developmental fold (and I think Arniel is a much more valuable asset than some may admit), I think we should see just what we have in Schroeder and I think he'll be a good 2nd-line forward down the road.

As for Hodgson, if he wants to be a Canuck I think we will be happy fans as a result. I don't doubt the kid's character and drive and hopefully fences will be mended over the summer.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

When does Schroeder report to the Moose. Last i heard he was in Vcr
cheers
trouble

Post by trouble »

Fred wrote:When does Schroeder report to the Moose. Last i heard he was in Vcr
He is there now and should play sunday

http://www.moosehockey.com/roster/292/112
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Meanwhile Hodgson is back after missing 5 games with a broken foot - 1st game back? The winning goal and an Assist.

He finished the regular season 8-12-20 in 13 games.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
trouble

Post by trouble »

Cornuck wrote:Meanwhile Hodgson is back after missing 5 games with a broken foot - 1st game back? The winning goal and an Assist.

He finished the regular season 8-12-20 in 13 games.

It would be nice to see both Hodgson and Schroeder with the nucks next year and with the way the cap is it could happen
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

[quote="trouble
It would be nice to see both Hodgson and Schroeder with the nucks next year and with the way the cap is it could happen[/quote]

To me, I don't think it matters if its Grabner that sticks, or Hodgeson, Schroeder, Shirokov... meh. whomever has the best summer and is ready come fall will do it for me. by my count, those guys are all top 6 material, and we will only have 1 top 6 spot open with Demo leaving..

I just like seeing that for the first time in my memory of being a fan (and Tiger made me a fan), the Canucks not only have more than 1 or 2 homegrown products actually contributing to the team, but still have 3 or 4 on the shelf for the next few years..

heck, name me the last time in Canucks history when 5 of 6 top 6 forwards and 2 of the top 4 defencemen were all products on the Canucks development system??

in fact, name me another team in the league with that kind of ratio...

but hey, perhaps we should ignore what I say or we might burst the 'we can't draft or develop people' secret...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

IMO, That spot in the top 6 is Raymond's to lose.

Raymond Kesler Samuelsson played great together.
http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/story/?id=314416
Read this article by Scott Cullen (Sedin-Sedin-Burrows ranked #1 line, RKS ranked #8)

We're not a traditional 2 scoring 1 checking 1 goon line team
The way I see it, we have 4 lines that can play defense, and they ranked by their offensive ability
We're not some team where their #1 line doesn't know how to spell defense.

With Aquaman willing to bury money in the minors, I would not be surprised to see GM MG resign Wellwood, Hansen, and have those two, along with Bernier, Hodgson, Shroeder, Grabner, Shirokov, all fight for the 3rd line spots.

Obviously Raymond shouldn't be given a top 6 spot, but the way he has played all year, I really can't see him being on the out side looking in, unless contract issues.

Could we see a Hodgson Shroeder Shirokov 3rd line with Grabner up on the 2nd line next season? Sure it could happen, and if that happens, oh boy would it be exciting.

I thank Burke for not trading ALL our draftpicks and actually left enough for our scouting staff to draft some good players. Heck Ruutu and Cooke are still in the league!
I thank Nonis for having the guts to get fired in order to protect the team's future. He gave his job for his love of the Canucks, you can debate it any way you want, his decision to not do anything helped us in the last two years.

I thank Gillis for bringing in a new attitude towards running the organization. With new commitments towards developing our prospects, I hope we can continue our success much like the Red Wings of the past 20 odd years.

Was Gillis better then Burke and Nonis? Nope, he was just at the right place and at the right time.

And let's not forget our loss of Bourdon, he would be a staple to our defense core now.
Our other defensemen prospects we can't count out as well, dman develops slower and we could see one or two of them come in a few years down the road.