Forsberg?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tciso
MVP
MVP

Re: Forsberg?

Post by Tciso »

Robert wrote:
Arachnid wrote::lol:

Lame Swede Part Deux

you'd think mg would learn from his experiment from last year
Do you think Foresberg would be as bad as Sundin? Two in a row would suck...
Worse, but, if he plays for Colorado, you just know he'll get the game winning goal that drops us into 4th spot, and then when we play the 5th cede Avalanche, he'll get 2 game winning goals, and we'll be out in 5 games. If he's coming back, we have to sign him just so we don't play against him.

(did I ever mention that I hate him almost as much as Hull and Chelios)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

nucklehead_88 wrote:keep in mind he's been playing all year so he'll be in better shape than sundin was
On top of that, Forsberg is also two years younger: Most superstar players still play pretty damn well at the age of 36 (i.e. Sakic, Yzerman, Shanahan, etc., etc.). Mats Sundin was still pretty damned amazing at 36 as well.

Check out what he did in 07/08: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/333. 14 points in 9 games if f'cking awesome.

Can you imagine what a guy like Forsberg could do for Kesler or Demitra? Hell - the Canucks could even put Kesler and Burrows back together on the 3rd line and re-create the best shut down line in the league. The Sedins' and Samuelson could anchor one line, while Forsberg could makes guys like Bernier, Raymond, or whoever, 10x better........just as St. Peter did to Valeri Kamensky, etc. Long story short - the Canucks could have a pretty wicked offense with Forsberg in the line-up.

Again - this has no chance of happening, but I'd do it in an absolute heartbeat if the opportunity actually was there.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Arachnid wrote: I only bash gay tennis wannabes 8-)
BY THE WAY...........NOT A FLAME.....................JUST AN OBSERVATION? :P
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Worse, but, if he plays for Colorado, you just know he'll get the game winning goal that drops us into 4th spot, and then when we play the 5th cede Avalanche, he'll get 2 game winning goals, and we'll be out in 5 games. If he's coming back, we have to sign him just so we don't play against him.
Little early to be giving the Avs a playoff spot I think.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

drdork's WCE re-union ideas have a better chance of taking place.
Why is it in the not to distant future I see Naslund, Morrison and Bertuzzi standing on a carpet at center ice, dropping three pucks for ceremonial a face-off on WCE Night @ GM Place, and Farhan sitting in his lair overcome by a saturnine cackle at fidelity of his predictions?
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Arachnid wrote: I only bash gay tennis wannabes 8-)
BY THE WAY...........NOT A FLAME.....................JUST AN OBSERVATION? :P

:lol: :lol: Farhan...let's not make this that board. :P besides... he doesn't have a utility belt. *batman* :oops:
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

What's our Cap position going to look like when we get all our players back, including Demitra, or are we not being told every thing ??

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=VAN

Where is the space for Forsberg ?
cheers
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

the toucan kid wrote:
drdork's WCE re-union ideas have a better chance of taking place.
Why is it in the not to distant future I see Naslund, Morrison and Bertuzzi standing on a carpet at center ice, dropping three pucks for ceremonial a face-off on WCE Night @ GM Place, and Farhan sitting in his lair overcome by a saturnine cackle at fidelity of his predictions?
Make no mistake about it: The WCE *will* have one last run in Vancouver. ;)
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Fred wrote:What's our Cap position going to look like when we get all our players back, including Demitra, or are we not being told every thing ??

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=VAN

Where is the space for Forsberg ?
I think someone would need to be moved/demoted. Wellwood would be redundant (-$1.5M), Demitra could still be injured and may not be the best option anyway (-$4M). So it obviously depends on what Forsberg wants in salary.

Maybe we're being told that the Aquilini's are willing to potentially eat Demitra's salary and go with the Forsberg risk rather than the Demitra risk. Forsberg is a risk, but I would take that risk over Demitra any day of the week.

And the cap is pretty complicated. If we put Demitra in manitoba and he clear waivers (likely) can we bring him up after the trade deadline (if Forsberg gets hurt) ?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

dr.dork wrote: And the cap is pretty complicated. If we put Demitra in manitoba and he clear waivers (likely) can we bring him up after the trade deadline (if Forsberg gets hurt) ?
He'd be on re-entry, and I'd wager that someone would pick him up for half of whatever is left on his contract, and the other half is added to our contract. If we send him to Manitoba (assuming he gets healthy) odds are he stays there.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Board needs a " capologist " :) , but I doubt we could bring in Forsberg without shedding salaries. Maybe trading away Wellwood who would be redundant and 1 of either Edler or Bxa would do it . Bring in a 1 mill dman and/or Rome or Baumer.. With Salo and Schneider as point men we wouldn't be losing a lot. Course I am not sure either Edler or BXA is worth much for trade bait.. neither has had a good season so far.

As for Forsberg.. if he's healthy what would it take to sign him .. ? Twins worth 6 mill? Healthy Forsberg got to be in the 7 to 8 mill price range.. Assuming that he plays about 2/3 of the season its a 5.. 6 mill hit against the cap.. The question to me is are the Canucks with the addition of Forsberg going to be real contenders for a cup ?.. I would say go for it.
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mikodat wrote:Board needs a " capologist " :) , but I doubt we could bring in Forsberg without shedding salaries. Maybe trading away Wellwood who would be redundant and 1 of either Edler or Bxa would do it . Bring in a 1 mill dman and/or Rome or Baumer.. With Salo and Schneider as point men we wouldn't be losing a lot. Course I am not sure either Edler or BXA is worth much for trade bait.. neither has had a good season so far.
If we have to ditch either Edler or Bieksa in order to sign Forsberg to a 1/2 year contract I'd rather jab my eyes out with red hot irons covered in franks red hot sauce, dipped in kerosene and lit on fire. That's a rediculous idea that a bandaid player nowhere near proven in recent NHL games on a 40 game contract is worth giving up one of your only quality defensive assets moving forward. NO THANKS!

I have to wonder Mikodat... did Flames fans think like you at this point last year with Phaneuf? Because honestly writing Edler off as un-tradable because of his results thus far borders on complete idiocy.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Island nucklehead said :
I have to wonder Mikodat... did Flames fans think like you at this point last year with Phaneuf? Because honestly writing Edler off as un-tradable because of his results thus far borders on complete idiocy.

comparing Phaneuf with Edler? like comparing steak to hamburger.. ones tough... one aint.. one is a proven 5 on 5 goal scorer.. the other one not.. one can clear the bodies in front of the net.. the other one not.. over 3 million a year for Edler?? look at the numbers.. not just this years.. both Bieksa and Edler are overpriced for what they bring to the table. if the number was 2 million.. maybe ok.. but we are paying over 3.. closer to 4 for 2 mediocre dmen.. Sure both are crowd pleasers and we all know that the Canucks are in the entertainment business.. but from a point of view of pure hockey skill and talent they are way overpaid..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

If we have to ditch either Edler or Bieksa in order to sign Forsberg to a 1/2 year contract I'd rather jab my eyes out with red hot irons covered in franks red hot sauce, dipped in kerosene and lit on fire. That's a rediculous idea that a bandaid player nowhere near proven in recent NHL games on a 40 game contract is worth giving up one of your only quality defensive assets moving forward. NO THANKS!
While you're right, is shopping one of those two such a bad idea if we have an excess of Dmen? I think our shallow pool of prospects kind of precludes that possibility, but I wonder what we could get up front for one of them.
He's far from untradeable. That said, he hasn't played like a top-pairing guy this year and I think we all had our expectations for this guy a little out of wonk. I to thought he would be better than he is, but some of you guys were being pretty absurd in the off-season. I can't remember who, and we all make mistakes (*shudders*), but he's not a stud, just another good (well not even that right now) NHL D-Man. We have a few of those at the moment.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

the toucan kid wrote: He's far from untradeable. That said, he hasn't played like a top-pairing guy this year and I think we all had our expectations for this guy a little out of wonk. I to thought he would be better than he is, but some of you guys were being pretty absurd in the off-season. I can't remember who, and we all make mistakes (*shudders*), but he's not a stud, just another good (well not even that right now) NHL D-Man. We have a few of those at the moment.
I like the idea of Forsberg but I don't like the idea of trading Bieksa or Edler, although it depends what comes back (but obviously it would have to be a prospect given that it is a bit of a salary dump). I think Edler's struggles may be temporary and I still think he could make losing Salo in a year and a half less painful. As for absurdities, some people in the summer were also claiming we could replace Mitchell for (roughly) a bucket of pucks and a used roll of hockey tape. (Mitchell has been solid and we likely don't want to lose him next year).

The way it stands now, I wouldn't move someone who was in the long term plan (Bieksa/Edler) unless there was a very high quality prospect returned. Forsberg is not much more than a rental and the probability of him being hurt is too high. If my capologist is telling me we can't do it without jettisoning a core player then forget it. Too risky, and we're better off going with Farhan's plan of WCE reunification.