Forsberg?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Forsberg?

Post by nucklehead_88 »

Tommy Larcheid reported before the game tonight and they confirmed it during the second intermission on the TEAM1040, that the Canucks have expressed a great intrest in Peter Forsberg. Trying to find it writing right now.
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Forsberg?

Post by Cornuck »

Philly's interested too.

I'm sure Gillis won't play the "waiting for a semi-retired Swede to make up his mind" game again though.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Sure, why not. He can join our crew who gets injured often. Gillis pulled the rabbit out of the hat before, maybe he can do it again.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

:lol:

Lame Swede Part Deux

you'd think mg would learn from his experiment from last year
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Gillis can slobber over Forsberg's balls all he wants, but the fact of the matter is that Forsberg is INSANELY loyal.....meaning that he'll only play for Colorado or Philadelphia. If it's not either of those teams, then it will probably be NYR or another Eastern Conference team (out of respect for Colorado).

However - IF there was the 0.0001% chance that Forsberg was healthy and was open to playing outside Colorado/Philly, then I'd make a move for him. It just has no chance of happening.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Arachnid wrote::lol:

Lame Swede Part Deux

Do you think Foresberg would be as bad as Sundin? Two in a row would suck...
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Robert wrote:

Lame Swede Part Deux

As much as people want to bash Sundin, here are a few facts:

1) ANYONE, no matter what age, would have great difficulty playing well coming into mid-season. Scott Niedermayer from a few years ago and Sergei Fedorov from 1998 are great examples.

2) Sundin was actually starting to play really well for us in the playoffs. He was a PPG player and was really starting to come on strong during the Chicago series.

I would love to have Forsberg here......it just has almost no chance of happening.

drdork's WCE re-union ideas have a better chance of taking place. ;)
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Farhan Lalji wrote: 1) ANYONE, no matter what age, would have great difficulty playing well coming into mid-season. Scott Niedermayer from a few years ago and Sergei Fedorov from 1998 are great examples.

2) Sundin was actually starting to play really well for us in the playoffs. He was a PPG player and was really starting to come on strong during the Chicago series.
What Farhan said.

Forsberg has always been a special talent who can miss a whole season and come back and be a point per game player.

And I will always maintain that independent of what Sundin did or didn't do (and I agree with Farhan's assessment on this) he was a no risk proposition. We didn't give up anyone to get Sundin and we had the cap space. So it was a nobrainer.

The cap is weird when it comes to injuries, so I don't know if we have cap space for Forsberg, but if we do I wouldn't be opposed. Yes, he may get hurt or he may flop (no pun intended) but I favour this shot over a deadline deal which would cost us dearly in draft picks or prospects.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

dr.dork wrote: The cap is weird when it comes to injuries, so I don't know if we have cap space for Forsberg, but if we do I wouldn't be opposed. Yes, he may get hurt or he may flop (no pun intended) but I favour this shot over a deadline deal which would cost us dearly in draft picks or prospects.
Certainly with Demitra out for (seemingly) forever, coupled with the Canucks other injuries, I can't fathom a situation where we wouldn't be able to sign this guy.

The real questions are, do we want him and would he come here? Certainly, at this point, and given his previous service, Philly would have to be favorites. From our standpoint, given our current roster situation Gillis would be a fool to not at least kick the tires on this guy.
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

Was listening to Rick ball earlier today.. well yesterday now i guess but they were saying a bunch of canucks brass were in Sweden or Finland wherever this international tournement is being played right now, along with other nhl scouts but yeah think they said, Gilman, Gagner, Delorme and Gradin were all there to either watch him or someone else i guess..

I would be down for forseberg forsure, if he could be point a game like Sundin was in the playoffs for us i would take him in a heart beat. He isn't going to play if his foot won't allow him to. So i don't see why any team adding a veteran of his calibre to the line up would be a bad thing. Heres hoping... we got an early christmas present last year hopefully another this year... sadly i doubt i will be in Barbados during the annoucement...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Robert wrote:

Lame Swede Part Deux

As much as people want to bash Sundin, here are a few facts:

1) ANYONE, no matter what age, would have great difficulty playing well coming into mid-season. Scott Niedermayer from a few years ago and Sergei Fedorov from 1998 are great examples.

I would love to have Forsberg here......it just has almost no chance of happening.

drdork's WCE re-union ideas have a better chance of taking place. ;)
An injury prone aging Viking coming in to save the day?

Matts wasn't even sore coming here and look how long he took to get going in the Best League in the World © and it arguable his contribution because we needed his leadership AND points in the Chicago series and it didn't happen...and for the record...I like the guy.

I love the Swedes but I would rather give the future a chance (Grabs, Sherrif) besides, are we that desparate right now? Are we losing? Are we in last? :drink:

I only bash gay tennis wannabes 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

If he wants to come here, and will play for a reasonable fee on a one year deal. Absolutely, the worst that can happen is that he gets hurt and we're where we are right now.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

sign Forsberg to 5 million dollar contract.
put Forsberg on IR.
Wait for playoffs
Dress Forsberg
?????
PROFIT!

Seriously, the guy can win you games with one hand and one ankle, if he wants to play for us and he can get himself into shape while on the IR, I'm sure we could use him.

Game speed wise, playoffs are a different beast, the game slows down and the thrill of being in the playoffs take over. Look at Sundin last year, he just "suddenly" became better?

If Colorado keeps the crazy run going, Forsberg is going there.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Nope. He's not worth the headache. He's one of the most talented players ever, yet there's a reason he doesn't have a contract. Can he contribute? Yes. However, he'll be out of the lineup far more than he'll be in it which will mean constant line juggling and shuffling. It'll disrupt chemistry, and I garuantee he'll be no more effective than Sundin was. He's a total no-go for me.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

keep in mind he's been playing all year so he'll be in better shape than sundin was
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson