GDT: Rangers visit Canucks, 7:00 PM, TSN, 1040

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT: Rangers visit Canucks, 7:00 PM, TSN, 1040

Post by Mikodat »

Jelly school of hockey? .. yep kesler took the original penalty... so SOB"s fault? ... SOB was the guy clearing Avery away from the net all night while getting cheap slashes and giving out a few of his own.. I just wish SOB had a longer reach and could have shoved the stick square up Avery's butt !! Oh yeah.. it would have been a penalty.. sorry.. Please watch the movie "Slapshot".. Hockey is a blood sport.. not a figure skating championship.. the idea of Raymond being an agitator is ludicrous.. Kesler yes Burrows yes the others NO. We got about 4 guys on the team that hit and hit hard..SOB is one of them..

Any time any player takes a penalty it gives the opposition team an advantage.. thats simple. To blame any injuries taken by the Canucks on SOB is idiotic.

Find a new whipping boy Jelly.. SOB is doing much better this year.. Maybe you can look at some of the ones that aren't ? Like Edler or Bieksa...or or Wellwood ( though this game he did play better ).. As for penalties? .. The number one guy in Canucks history for penalties was Dave ( Tiger ) Williams.. and is still the NHL record holder... he was also a big reason that the Canucks made it to the Stanley cup playoffs in 82.
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JCardinal »

Mikodat wrote: The number one guy in Canucks history for penalties was Dave ( Tiger ) Williams.. and is still the NHL record holder... he was also a big reason that the Canucks made it to the Stanley cup playoffs in 82.
I still remember to this day as a kid driving home with my dad from cutting firewood all day and we were listening to the radio and a game was coming up that night and they interviewed Tiger Williams who was expected to cover one of the other forwards and him saying "I'll be all over him like a bad smell" and we burst out laughing. :)

If SOB had that personality no one would be questioning him.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Cornuck wrote:interesting random stat - Kesler is currently 20th in league scoring.
He's been a beast this season.'

Hank is also 15th, in the league. I love how the media has said he hasn't stepped up his play since Daniel went down, yet Hank is on pace for his best season ever.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

I noticed Ferraro had completely missed that point also. hmm

Very impressed with the Canucks' mental fortitude this game.. no matter who got hurt or sent off the ice whomever was left just had that winning concept. Not letting the negatives (and belief in yourself) work on your brain go so far in this game.
Ridleyfan
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Ridleyfan »

I was LESS pissed off at him poking Avery than for the double minor. Yes, he's tough. Yes. his teammates love him, but that was just a careless penalty, and he takes too many. If you're going to take a penalty based in roughness, fine, but make it worthwhile, and time it right. He does neither.
The leaves: Longest running sitcom since Seinfeld.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

Mikodat wrote:Jelly school of hockey? .. yep kesler took the original penalty... so SOB"s fault? ... SOB was the guy clearing Avery away from the net all night while getting cheap slashes and giving out a few of his own.. I just wish SOB had a longer reach and could have shoved the stick square up Avery's butt !! Oh yeah.. it would have been a penalty.. sorry.. Please watch the movie "Slapshot".. Hockey is a blood sport.. not a figure skating championship.. the idea of Raymond being an agitator is ludicrous.. Kesler yes Burrows yes the others NO. We got about 4 guys on the team that hit and hit hard..SOB is one of them..

Any time any player takes a penalty it gives the opposition team an advantage.. thats simple. To blame any injuries taken by the Canucks on SOB is idiotic.

Find a new whipping boy Jelly.. SOB is doing much better this year.. Maybe you can look at some of the ones that aren't ? Like Edler or Bieksa...or or Wellwood ( though this game he did play better ).. As for penalties? .. The number one guy in Canucks history for penalties was Dave ( Tiger ) Williams.. and is still the NHL record holder... he was also a big reason that the Canucks made it to the Stanley cup playoffs in 82.
Original penalty? It was suppose to be Gaborik, who actually started the whole thing. Refs gave him the superstar treatment, as usual. SOB did his crap on the bench, and that caused the un-evening of the penalties. Referees were about to even up Kesler's penalty and find someone to sit in the box, and SOB decided to be an idiot again, and gave the Refs a reason to hate. Bieksa after the game said something about the Refs having a personal vendetta and the Ref admitted it to him.

"Slapshot", first of all, was about a minor league team, and that minor league was basically all about fighting. Second, it was Hollywood. It`s fake btw.

SOB hits? Hardly ever in a way that matters. He does bad pinches that costs us odd man rushes, he tries his little cute moves and be offensive? cry me a river, there`s a reason he hasnt scored in god knows how many regular season games. He thinks he can contribute offensively when in fact, he is just causing more trouble

If SOB did not do what he did on the bench and gave the Refs a reason not to even up penalties, then we would not be on the PK, thus, players would not be in those situations and got banged up. Period.

Comparing Tiger to SOB? You are the *edit* one that seems to love him for everything.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Actually, O'brien didn't get a penalty for that thing on the bench. Nor should he in my opinion. It was Burrows who got the extra after the refs were prepared to even the penalties on that skirmish.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

Mikodat wrote:Jelly school of hockey? .. yep kesler took the original penalty... so SOB"s fault? ... SOB was the guy clearing Avery away from the net all night while getting cheap slashes and giving out a few of his own.. I just wish SOB had a longer reach and could have shoved the stick square up Avery's butt !! Oh yeah.. it would have been a penalty.. sorry.. Please watch the movie "Slapshot".. Hockey is a blood sport.. not a figure skating championship.. the idea of Raymond being an agitator is ludicrous.. Kesler yes Burrows yes the others NO. We got about 4 guys on the team that hit and hit hard..SOB is one of them..

i'm on your side on this one mikodat, SOB has been far from our worst player. That highsticking penalty can happen to everyone, it was bumped up into his face ACCIDENTALY! holy crap jelly its like your seeing things that dont happen because of your hate for SOB. If anything, i'm upset SOB DIDNT jump right onto the bench and beat the living crap out of Avery and Tortorella
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

Robert wrote:Actually, O'brien didn't get a penalty for that thing on the bench. Nor should he in my opinion. It was Burrows who got the extra after the refs were prepared to even the penalties on that skirmish.
SOB got a 10 minute misconduct and there's a hearing coming up from the NHL.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

nucklehead_88 wrote:

i'm on your side on this one mikodat, SOB has been far from our worst player. That highsticking penalty can happen to everyone, it was bumped up into his face ACCIDENTALY! holy crap jelly its like your seeing things that dont happen because of your hate for SOB. If anything, i'm upset SOB DIDNT jump right onto the bench and beat the living crap out of Avery and Tortorella

If SOB actually did any fighting, then maybe you have a case. People only seem to look at numbers, well, what kind of opposition does SOB play against? bottom 6 forwards. That's why he's +2, he plays "well" against the bottom end of the talent pool, but when you have him on the ice against the top line, he'll show you his true form.

He's being paided to be a 3rd pairing defensemen that brings toughness and fights, right now, he sheds away from fighting and tries to turn himself into an offensive defensemen. You may call me biased, but every time you point your finger at me, there's 4 fingers in that hand pointing back at yourself.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Jelly wrote:
Robert wrote:Actually, O'brien didn't get a penalty for that thing on the bench. Nor should he in my opinion. It was Burrows who got the extra after the refs were prepared to even the penalties on that skirmish.
SOB got a 10 minute misconduct and there's a hearing coming up from the NHL.
Yeah I know my fantasy hockey pool has him for 14 penalty minutes that game. LOL At least I won that category that night. I actually chose O'Brien SPECIFICALLY for PIMs in my league. I certainly didn't choose him for his outstanding ability to QB a PP from that line (I have Salo for that). He did get that penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct and it WAS for his stupid actions trying to egg Avery from the bench.

It all ended the way we we wanted. Hockey Gods responded for the stupid calls against the Nucks and refs forgetting how many Rangers players were on the ice. 4-1 Victory

I suggest we all take lessons in reading "the boxscore" and maybe we can put this all to rest in regards to O'Brien. Some of us like him and some of us don't.

Addition: If we didn't have cap issues, I will guarantee you Lukowich would be up here and not O'Brien.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Jelly wrote: If SOB actually did any fighting, then maybe you have a case. People only seem to look at numbers, well, what kind of opposition does SOB play against? bottom 6 forwards. That's why he's +2, he plays "well" against the bottom end of the talent pool, but when you have him on the ice against the top line, he'll show you his true form.
He has challenged many players and they back down. What does that say ? He is positive in plus/minus which is still good given that he is our SIXTH defenceman. That is what he is supposed to do.

Anyway, when we get out of this injury problem and assuming nobody gets hurt on D SOB will likely be our 7th defenceman. He will probably find himself in the press box except when Schneider gets a rest or when Edler finds himself taking a spot up there. Edler has arguably been worse than SOB. There were more than a few plays last night where Edler gave the puck away in our own end. (Salo did it too, which was really uncharacteristic).

Also, his 4 minute penalty last night was deserved but I don't think it was intentional. But the refs have it out for him, and he is getting a lot of his penalties on reputation alone. Half of them are not even penalties.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Jelly wrote: SOB got a 10 minute misconduct and there's a hearing coming up from the NHL.
That might be, but that is not what got us a two minute pk.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

Robert wrote:
Jelly wrote: SOB got a 10 minute misconduct and there's a hearing coming up from the NHL.
That might be, but that is not what got us a two minute pk.
For christ sake, do you not see the game on TV?

Ray Ferraro, who sat right IN THE MIDDLE of the action, called it. The Refs were going to even up the penalties, and as they were discussing, SOB did his thing and gave the Refs a reason NOT to even it up.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

dr.dork wrote: He has challenged many players and they back down.
Screen shot or it didn't happen