TSN on Canucks...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

TSN on Canucks...

Post by Jelly »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=292516
http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/story/?id=292485

Apparently, we didn't manage to win a round in the playoffs last season, and Shirokov plays centre. And we didn't resign Sundin cause he sucked against the Hawks.

Most of us could write a better article then the junk they just gave us. I really wonder why can't TSN just hire one or two guys per NHL team, and write some quality articles. They sure make a lot of money.

However, atleast they ranked us 6th in the league.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Re: TSN on Canucks...

Post by Kel »

Jelly wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=292516
http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/story/?id=292485

Apparently, we didn't manage to win a round in the playoffs last season, and Shirokov plays centre. And we didn't resign Sundin cause he sucked against the Hawks.

Most of us could write a better article then the junk they just gave us. I really wonder why can't TSN just hire one or two guys per NHL team, and write some quality articles. They sure make a lot of money.

However, atleast they ranked us 6th in the league.
I don't see where they wrote that the team didn't win a round (I saw second-round exit, which is accurate) or Sundin sucked against the Hawks. They mentioned Shirokov as a winger and he was only put in the C slot in the "depth chart" because he was on the "fifth line" and most team's best 13th-15th forwards don't form a complete LW-C-RW line. This article is fairly detailed and objective, in my opinion.

EDIT: I saw the comments so they must have put "first round exit" when the article was first published, and then corrected it later silently (which is bad).
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

BOOM

Internet jouralism at it's best. something's wrong? no matter, we can fix it with no evidence!

anyhoo.

their mentioning of losing our UFAs as if we forced them out is stupid, most of them just wouldn't fit back into our organization
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

Jelly wrote: their mentioning of losing our UFAs as if we forced them out is stupid, most of them just wouldn't fit back into our organization
If they don't fit back into the organization, the organization chooses not to bring them back and therefore the players had no choice of coming back, technically "forced out". The only exception is Sundin, whom Gillis expressed interest in bringing back. The rest, including Ohlund, were "forced out" because the organization didn't offer them to option to come back.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Internet jouralism at it's best. something's wrong? no matter, we can fix it with no evidence!
What's wrong with fixing a factual error?
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

I don't know, maybe I'm still too drunk

But when you make a mistake in real life, it stays with you, as a record.
You can't change your answers after submitting an exam. (Publishing an article)
You can't change the fact you got a speeding ticket.
You can't change that report you typed while drunk that you sent to the company president.

I just wish I could have a magic eraser like that and start with a clean state.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

why would anyone be surprised by this?

EBL reporters working for an EBL company.

meh
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

the toucan kid wrote:
What's wrong with fixing a factual error?
Nothing wrong fixing it, but it just looks unprofessional to fix it secretly (and therefore hiding the mistake) without acknowledging it's been updated. Wall Street Journal's web site, for example, corrects mistakes by publishing a separate article about the error.
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

The notion of the mutable online text has been discussed here before. See also:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/may/19/1
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Nothing wrong fixing it, but it just looks unprofessional to fix it secretly (and therefore hiding the mistake) without acknowledging it's been updated. Wall Street Journal's web site, for example, corrects mistakes by publishing a separate article about the error.
Probably right, a correction notice is the proper thing to do in terms of journalistic ethics. That said, it's just sports.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

the toucan kid wrote:
Probably right, a correction notice is the proper thing to do in terms of journalistic ethics. That said, it's just sports.

HOCKEY IS EVERYTHING!
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Don't read Scott Cullen's stuff, he's garbage.

There are numerous errors in his 30 teams in 30 days feature. He also picked Edmonton as the better team over Calgary. If I ever saw him I'd take that bet.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

If you're an accredited writer for a national conglomerate, you should have the sense to have the proper points in your article. Do your research. Hell, as much as I can, I will research before I write.

I guess Ryerson,BCIT,Mohawk College or Columbia academy haven't really taught proper journalism.

There are people out there in the social media that have had better opinions and researched work that Scott Cullen. He's precisely what's wrong with the "Who you know" in the biz rather that what you know and can do.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

The success of a person is not what he accomplished, it is who they can call their friends.

or something like that.

In theory it works well, but when your a monkey and you managed to be born to the president of the USA, you can also be the president of the USA.

EDIT

also... Toronto sending a junior back to junior is the top story on TSN.
weeeeeeeeeee I wished that we had our own biased TV station, even Sportsnet Pacific has to have their line up approved by Toronto head office (Don Taylor mentioned it once on the radio show, a week ago I think, about the Heatley trade.)