Mr. Saturday night goes to Dallas

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Mr. Saturday night goes to Dallas

Post by Madcombinepilot »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=284098
The 28-year-old Auld also has played for the Florida Panthers, Phoenix Coyotes and Boston Bruins. He has a career record of 74-75-25, with six shutouts, a .905 save percentage and a 2.76 goals-against-average.
didn't this guy play for us?!?!?

EBL reporters at thier EBL'n best.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Re: Mr. Saturday night goes to Dallas

Post by Tciso »

Madcombinepilot wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=284098
The 28-year-old Auld also has played for the Florida Panthers, Phoenix Coyotes and Boston Bruins. He has a career record of 74-75-25, with six shutouts, a .905 save percentage and a 2.76 goals-against-average.
didn't this guy play for us?!?!?

EBL reporters at thier EBL'n best.
They forgot both Vancouver, and last year with Ottawa, where he had great stats. His 16-18-7 record with Ottawa is more indicative of how bad the rest of the team was offensively, and not his 2.47 gaa.

TSN once again did a stellar job covering a story, highlighting 2 sub-par seasons, and skipping the rest. But, it's all Auld's fault for not playing at least -one- game for the Laughs.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

Well, except for the paragraph that reads

New Dallas coach Marc Crawford certainly knows what he's getting, having coached Auld for several seasons in Vancouver. Auld broke into the NHL under Crawford in 2001-02 and played in four playoff games over the next two seasons. He was the club's MVP in 2005-06.

Do you guys even read these articles before bitching about them?
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

orts wrote:Well, except for the paragraph that reads

New Dallas coach Marc Crawford certainly knows what he's getting, having coached Auld for several seasons in Vancouver. Auld broke into the NHL under Crawford in 2001-02 and played in four playoff games over the next two seasons. He was the club's MVP in 2005-06.

To be fair, that was added on afterwards. I read the article and noticed the same as what the others are bitching about.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

as a matter of fact, I do!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

But if you look at the timestamp on the article and posts you'll see that Tciso at least has no excuse. Which makes the whole thing rather fishy. And anyway, why should I believe you guys? :)

In all seriousness, though, this is the problem with internet sources. It's like the cbc posters who bitch because there isn't enough information in a breaking news report. Nowadays, people like you want instantaneous information; and if you want that, you've got to expect errors. Journalists don't have more time than the rest of us to look over their stuff (yeah, I bet you even think you had an effect on that article's being changed at 1615 EST, within an hour of your post :P). I mean, if people like Tciso and me are just taking your word for it, then you too need to take responsibility for your sources, just like this journalist did -- because by reposting with your comment you have become a secondary filter for the information. This is the weird brave new world of popular, collaborative reporting. No one should be "just some guy on the internet."

Conversely, if (like me) you would rather see journalists double-check their posts and information, then you should not demand instant information, and/or should hold off posting consipiracy theories 'til you know everything's final. Slow, but sensible.

Your call! The first model of reportage is more fun, but the second is more reliable...
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

But if you look at the timestamp on the article and posts you'll see that Tciso at least has no excuse. Which makes the whole thing rather fishy. And anyway, why should I believe you guys? :)

In all seriousness, though, this is the problem with internet sources. It's like the cbc posters who bitch because there isn't enough information in a breaking news report. Nowadays, people like you want instantaneous information; and if you want that, you've got to expect errors. Journalists don't have more time than the rest of us to look over their stuff (yeah, I bet you even think you had an effect on that article's being changed at 1615 EST, within an hour of your post :P). I mean, if people like Tciso and me are just taking your word for it, then you too need to take responsibility for your sources, just like this journalist did -- because by reposting with your comment you have become a secondary filter for the information. This is the weird brave new world of popular, collaborative reporting. No one should be "just some guy on the internet."

Conversely, if (like me) you would rather see journalists double-check their posts and information, then you should not demand instant information, and/or should hold off posting consipiracy theories 'til you know everything's final. Slow, but sensible.

Your call! The first model of reportage is more fun, but the second is more reliable...
You're a copy editor for some newspaper, aren't you orts?

Seriously, for stories like this all they need is Player A goes from Team A to Team B, or Player B signs with Team C for X dollars. The rest of the context is pretty bland anyway.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

I wonder how much say Crawford had into getting Auldy in Dallas. With the exception of LaBarbera...Auld was decent for us. Not a #1, but definitely a solid #2 who could shoulder 20+ games.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

orts wrote:But if you look at the timestamp on the article and posts you'll see that Tciso at least has no excuse. Which makes the whole thing rather fishy. And anyway, why should I believe you guys? :)

you are complicating things with windy explanations somehow telling me how I think, what I am supposed to type, and what (I guess) I am supposed to demand.

My call was I am simply saying EBL reporters suck, and in the main, don't give a fly fart about the west. :)
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

Madcombinepilot wrote:you are complicating things
What, you think the delivery and constant re-filtering of internet news is somehow simple? My point -- if for some reason you missed it -- is that you need to realize how complicated it can be. Nothing "windy" about this or about what I said in my previous point; on the contrary, it's all pretty concrete. Do you disagree? it's hard to tell.

As for your comment about "EBL" journalism (whatever that is, but I assume it's some kind of "Eastern Bias" thing), I have no idea if it exists or not, but the fact that they changed this news item so promptly (if they did) suggests that they're conscious of it and have made an effort to be inclusive... or at least that they care about fixing errors. So you might rethink that "EBL" thing, too.

And, yes, it's pretty apparent that you do demand instant news; everyone here does, or else y'all wouldn't be obsessively reposting/commenting on things the very instant that they're put up on TSN's site :P
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

orts wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:you are complicating things
What, you think the delivery and constant re-filtering of internet news is somehow simple? My point -- if for some reason you missed it -- is that you need to realize how complicated it can be. Nothing "windy" about this or about what I said in my previous point; on the contrary, it's all pretty concrete. Do you disagree? it's hard to tell.

As for your comment about "EBL" journalism (whatever that is, but I assume it's some kind of "Eastern Bias" thing), I have no idea if it exists or not, but the fact that they changed this news item so promptly (if they did) suggests that they're conscious of it and have made an effort to be inclusive... or at least that they care about fixing errors. So you might rethink that "EBL" thing, too.

And, yes, it's pretty apparent that you do demand instant news; everyone here does, or else y'all wouldn't be obsessively reposting/commenting on things the very instant that they're put up on TSN's site :P
:thumbs: I have been guilty of this, and I also 100% agree with both of your posts orts. pretty much nailed it.

*edit* I refresh DarregDregger's twitter page even tho he hasn't updated since the 6th. I go to TSN AND sportsnet twice daily to see if I missed any slight update. I even have sunken to checking hockeybuzz simply because they update frequently, even though I know Ek's a tool. I wonder about some of the other people on the site tho, not everything is crap on there.... just anything with an (ek) on the end. That being said I realize what I do, and don't expect perfection. I'm more just looking for any tidbit I can find, and take it with a grain of salt. I realize the whole "it was on the internet so it must be true" fallacy. I would like it if there were more of the opinion pieces out there like TB's blog, and others with actual semi-inside info just speaking about trade possibilities and team interests that we know are not printed as The Truth(tm). I'm not always looking for 100% facts as much as I'm looking for ANY hockey news I can find in the offseason, legit or not. I'd like to at least mull over the pros and cons of having Kaberle on our back end, even if I know behind it all that it's probably 90% hogwash. It's sad, I know. Like a man lost in the desert I am, with that Sept oasis always in my mind... :|
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

orts wrote:But if you look at the timestamp on the article and posts you'll see that Tciso at least has no excuse. Which makes the whole thing rather fishy. And anyway, why should I believe you guys? :)
Thank god I only post if it is within milliseconds of reading an article!!!!! Anyways, excuses are for tossers.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!