Luongo - yes or no?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If you were GM, what would you do?

Offer Luongo a long term contract - with a NTA if he wants it.
94%
Offer him a one year extension.
No votes
Trade him - ASAP - he'll be leaving next summer anyways.
3%
Trade him at the deadline.
No votes
Play him all year and let him walk next year.
No votes
Some other option (explain).
3%

Total votes: 32

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Luongo - yes or no?

Post by Cornuck »

I'd just like to know where you guys stand on this issue?

Personally, I want him to stay as long as possible. He is the best goalie we've had - and to pin the playoff loss on him is insane - the D collapsed, and the team couldn't hold a lead if it had vice grips.

Others blame for a complete meltdown in game 6 and feel he's the 2nd coming of Cloutier. Trade him now before he's a UFA - we don't need an elite goalie (according to the Province).

Where do you stand?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Luongo - yes or no?

Post by dr.dork »

Cornuck wrote:I'd just like to know where you guys stand on this issue?

Personally, I want him to stay as long as possible. He is the best goalie we've had - and to pin the playoff loss on him is insane - the D collapsed, and the team couldn't hold a lead if it had vice grips.

Others blame for a complete meltdown in game 6 and feel he's the 2nd coming of Cloutier. Trade him now before he's a UFA - we don't need an elite goalie (according to the Province).

Where do you stand?
Offer him a long term contract. But money is always an issue so do the normal front end loading to give him what he wants and the cap hit is less (could be same story with the Sedins).

I don't pin the playoff loss solely on Luongo but I didn't blame any of Cloutier's losses solely on him either. It is a team game, and if you want to be captain and your teams highest paid and best player you better learn to take the heat. Luongo deserves his fair share of blame, his game 6 (or series) was not $8M dollar caliber goaltending. You really couldn't claim he stole any games in the series and that should be expected if you think you're going to get the big contract.

Ed Willes is as stupid as it gets. I can't believe he gets paid to be a sports writer. That is something that Farhan would write, but at least Farhan isn't a paid journalist and Farhan is usually just throwing out ideas that he doesn't believe himself. The funny thing about Willes article is he states (in monumental stupidity) that there are no elite goalies left in the playoffs. I suppose Thomas and his (likely) Vezina winning season doesn't count ? (Yes, Boston may yet get bounced in this round, but Boston still is one of the favoured teams if they get through).

Hillier is also playing lights out. He is probably the #1 reason why Anaheim has got this far.

Osgood although much maligned and although he had a bad season he is playing well in the playoffs. And the powerhouse that Detroit is could probably play without a goalie. (Note: we are not a powerhouse). Obviously we had weaknesses and some injuries and Chicago exposed both of those. Farhan would call this "mentally fragile".

There was another article in the province to day where Gallagher was suggesting the "fix" was on. The refing wasn't great, and he points out 3 or 4 non calls or bad calls. If there are 3 or 4 non calls or bad calls in a whole series the refs were doing OK and blaming the refs for that series loss is just plain stupid (and blind).
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Give him a blank check and ask him how many years he wants to play. If that doesn't do it, then move him at the deadline, don't bother trying to "go for it".
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

I am firmly in the corner of keeping him for as long as he is willing to play and win in this town, even with the very real possibility that this team will continue to be in the bottom 2/3rd in terms on draft day as long as he is here. Having a Luongo eliminates one big question mark in goal.

Ed Willes and Cam Cole can go fuck themselves. The media here really are a bunch of panty waists...
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

KEEP him!

This is why players leave Vancouver...the media eat them alive.

Luongo is clearly the best goalie we've ever had...but they make him sound like Dan Cloutier.

F
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
nucks_girl
CC Veteran

Post by nucks_girl »

Gotta hate the media. Just trying to sell papers. Keep Luongo, give him what he wants. We get nowhere without this guy. Anyone who thinks he needs to be traded is wearing blinders, and is taking for granted what he does for this team every game, every practice. He works hard on his game, and that really feeds into the rest of the dressing room too.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Thankfully, neither the media nor the fans make that call. Let's hope that MG and Aquaman aren't paying attention to this crap.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

And in the latest of the "can the reporting get any worse" the media is now talking about the "trade Luongo" rumour as if it comes from some place other than their deranged minds.

Please Gillis, grab them by their geeky little pencil necks and twist.

The whores in the papers are either writing crap or whining about their ever dwindling circulation. Gee, I wonder if the two could possibly be related ?
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

"Trade him ASAP" is to simple an answer for a very complex siuation.

Luongo has a no trade clause and would clearly only waive it to play on a contender. There are really no contenders willing or capable of taking on $7 million dollars next year. Therefore, this scenario is essentially impossible, even if Gillis wanted to do it.

"Trade him at the deadline" is another complex situation that would depend on variables (success of the team up to that point, play of Luongo up to that point, contract extension situation). However, it is more likely than asap.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I want to know which retard actually clicked "trade him ASAP"?

Some people are so rediculous. This guy is the prototypical FRANCHISE GOALIE. Arguably (along with Franchise Defencemen) the most important player on any team. He didin't play up to par, and now we're out... oh well. There are no better options out there, and paying someone like Kovalchuk or Hossa to add another 40 goals to our GF isn't going to offset the 40 sure goals Luongo has saved over the course of the season.

Especially now, after the worst outting of his career, with everyone in the media harping on him, why would we want to dump him when his value is the lowest since the Bertuzzi deal?!

IF he doesn't want to sign an extension, say in August or September, then we can start shopping him throughout the season. Wait and see which teams line up for him. There is no friggin' rush to this at all, he should be retained, and I'd be willing to give the guy Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin money if that's what it took.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

I don't pin the playoff loss solely on Luongo but I didn't blame any of Cloutier's losses solely on him either. It is a team game, and if you want to be captain and your teams highest paid and best player you better learn to take the heat. Luongo deserves his fair share of blame, his game 6 (or series) was not $8M dollar caliber goaltending. You really couldn't claim he stole any games in the series and that should be expected if you think you're going to get the big contract.
Agree completely, he did not come through in the Chicago series and my big question mark is " is this guy equal to a Patrick Roy or Brodeur ?" At this time my answer is NO.. His goaltending was not spectacular at any point in the 6 games against Chicago and reached an all time " Cloutier low" in the last game. Of course he's the best goaltender Vancouver has ever had, but maybe offering him 7 mill long term is a bit high. My answer was " other "... Offer a long term 6 mill.. Sure he is a great goaltender in the regular season but the Chicago series showed that he is maybe not capable of elevating his game as he did in 2006 .. 2007. The other alternative is to take a " wait and see" attitude and not do anything until 1/2 way through next season.
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Even if Luongo had won us the Cup this year, he still could not be compared to Roy or Brodeur. Those two have cemented their place in hockey history through long careers and accomplishments.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Mikodat wrote: His goaltending was not spectacular at any point in the 6 games against Chicago and reached an all time " Cloutier low" in the last game. Of course he's the best goaltender Vancouver has ever had, but maybe offering him 7 mill long term is a bit high. My answer was " other "... Offer a long term 6 mill.. Sure he is a great goaltender in the regular season but the Chicago series showed that he is maybe not capable of elevating his game as he did in 2006 .. 2007. The other alternative is to take a " wait and see" attitude and not do anything until 1/2 way through next season.
Cloutier Low??? I didn't see him let anything in from centre ice and until I see that he is eons away from ol' clouts. Yeah he did have a rough series and for solely the Hawks series he didn't earn his keep, but I doubt we even make the playoffs without him - imagine cloutier in net for the season - now that would have been a brutal season..........

I do agree on the money though. Luongo has said straight out he wants to play for a team on which he can win a cup. Giving him 7 or 8 or more for a long term deal cuts at our cap space and serves to work counter to his stated wishes - especially if we end up signing the Sedins at a significant increase. This team, as it now is, showed us that they are not going to win a cup, barring perfect circumstances. Thus certain changes need to be enacted and unless we are pinning all our hopes on Hodgson and Grabner, looks like we may have to do a little spending to get some more scoring in and a solid puck moving defenceman to replace olhund. As much as I have loved not being the goalie graveyard, I don't think that we can blank cheque Luongo to a contract and expect to go farther than we have this year, barring those perfect circumstances previously mentioned.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I would give him what he wants.

That being said, it all depends what he wants to do. I hope that he's tough enough to take this crap and not want out.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Larry Goodenough wrote:"Trade him ASAP" is to simple an answer for a very complex siuation.

Luongo has a no trade clause and would clearly only waive it to play on a contender. There are really no contenders willing or capable of taking on $7 million dollars next year. Therefore, this scenario is essentially impossible, even if Gillis wanted to do it.

"Trade him at the deadline" is another complex situation that would depend on variables (success of the team up to that point, play of Luongo up to that point, contract extension situation). However, it is more likely than asap.
I couldn't agree more, whether Luongo stays or goes isn't an easy question to answer. The Canucks without Luongo would be a team that finishes middle of the pack and while they may make the playoffs, based on this years performances, they would be in a dog fight to beat St. Louis in the first round which would have been a seven game series sans Luongo. Chicago would then have probably dispatched the Canucks in four or five. That is how valuable Luongo is to the Canucks. His ability alone makes an average team a potential spoiler, and both Luongo's agent and Gillis are well aware of how that effects his value as a pending free agent, including the ability to dictate where he ends up.

Based on future salary demands, signing both the Sedins and Luongo to long term deals with NMC's, particularly in light of the teams performance over the last year, will pretty much guarantee that the Canucks will remain an average team with an exceptional goaltender for the next few years. After Hodgson and Schneider there is not a lot of immediately available talent in the farm system, particularly on defence. It is of some concern that in post season play, Salo in spite of injuries, shows as probably the best Canuck defence man and Ohlund, although he has lost a step, was quietly consistent and merits secondary consideration after Salo. Factor in the potential pay hike for Kesler, and the Canucks down the road are looking to fill out the roster with average talent free agents until they acquire enough young affordable players either through the draft or if possible via trades to give them some organizational depth. While the signing of a "star" free agent may improve the Canucks chances it certainly is no guarantee of team success.

Using the Chicago series as a bench mark for future post season play, for the next two years, the Canucks to become legitimate cup contenders will have to ice a team that can beat Chicago and any team that may subsequently eliminate Chicago. The core of the team as it is now constituted is not good enough to do so, as the series demonstrated. That alone will potentially effect the tenor of contract negotiations between the Sedins and Canucks management, and depending on those results any number of scenarios may evolve which may or may not result in Luongo remaining a Canuck, including his right as a free agent to go to a team which in his view is more likely to go deep into the playoffs.

If Luongo is traded it will not be because he cost the Canucks the Chicago series. He absolutely did not, and if anything it was his presence that prolonged the agony of cup hungry Canuck fans. It is his play that merits greatest consideration for the limited post season success the team had. The wild card in all of this may be Schneider. If he is the real deal, then I can see Gillis giving him a chance to prove it and next season have him share goal tending duties with Luongo. If Schneider can carry the load in the NHL, as he has done in Manitoba, then it is possible that Luongo is traded, subject to any NMC, not because of his play in game six in Chicago, but because of his trade value, the potential success of the Canucks at the time (which may factor into Luongo subsequently electing to pursue his rights as a free agent), and the salary of Schneider, which in turn leads to other scenarios as to how the Canucks may evolve under Gillis.