Trade deadline

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Trade deadline

Post by Fred »

I would have to think Gillis will try and pick up a depth defenceman for the run. Not a lot in Winterpeg, but there are some pieces there if a forward goes down. Preferably a right handed "D" Apart from that I think the team is set, sure every one wants a big name winger, but I don't see MG throwing away futures for a rental player
cheers
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade deadline

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Gotta agree Fred. I can't fathom MG dealing a lot for a rental player. The Sundin signing is as big an addition as a team could possibly make and so the need to make another blockbuster is small.

I think the Defense is going to be pretty much set. Davison has shown himself to be a pretty good 7, and with the top 6 healthy I don't really know who's going to get the bench...O'Brien I guess. I would probably rather keep the draft pick than trade for a rental 6-7.

I think Gillis will probably listen to offers for Ohlund, see what's around but I don't think anything big will happen.
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

I htink they should get one more guy for the bottom 6. Possibly in place of Wellwood.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

I would love to see a guy like Radek Bonk or Ian Laparriererererer (LG logo) brought in, but like Island, I think we have a solid enough team with out giving anything up. I agree with the Ohlund trade talk i could see something materializing there.. although i would like to see him stay with the team he will only be an asset come crunch time.
About wellwood i like his hustle as of the last couple games, he really looks frustrated with not scoring lately, hopefully he can get that going again. The only guy i would think to have as a 13th forward come playoff time is Hordichuck he is a great presence to have on the bench but he isn't the best at taking a regular shift. Wouldn't mind having the ability to dress another vetran forward and if things get alittle messy Hordi can play a game or two.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

westvandal wrote:I htink they should get one more guy for the bottom 6. Possibly in place of Wellwood.
Maybe, but I am happy with this lineup. Not that we're going to go far, every potential first round matchup would be pretty difficult, but I don't want to see any prospects or draft picks leaving.

We will likely keep Ohlund unless someone offers a deal we can't refuse (good young prospect).
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Adding a piece to the puzzle makes sense...something that is needed like a replacement for Kesler's role. Other than that perhaps only a character Tim Hunter type player to help in the room & checking line. Bringing in a high priced big ticket player so late in the season (no time to gel) almost always fails. How many 1st round picks and top prospects have changed hands with little to no playoff success in return? Its astonishing actually. You never know how chemistry is going to be affected. Keep it simple.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
trouble

Post by trouble »

Yep .. if we can get something for nothing... But other wise..leave it alone

It's time we stopped giving up our future for old UFA's
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

I think the trade deadline's going to be pretty quiet this year because of the uncertainty about next year's cap. It's also because there's still so many teams in the hunt for a playoff spot this year. Normally teams like Columbus would be selling but they're poised to make their first playoff run ever. Bouwmeester and Pronger, two of the most big name trade chips this year, may not be dealt at all because Florida and Anaheim are still in the race.

I'd love to see Bonk here for the playoffs. He's the one player that I think MG should make a pitch for. I'd also say Chris Neil but with the Comrie/McAmmond deal I think Neil's going to stay there until the summer. I still don't really get what Murray was trying to accomplish with that move.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I think we're sitting pretty good, but would like to add depth. In the one or two players we add, I'd someone who has playoff experience, and preferable Cup experience. If we're adding role players, let them be guys that can add to the dressing room.

I really don't know who will be available in the role, any suggestions?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I keep thinking if we have an injury on Defense in the play-offs and we have to use either Davison or Nycholat we're in trouble. The forwards we have Jaffray, Krog or Bolduc are all reasonable cover but at the back end there's very little on the Moose roster, maybe Baumgartner. So I still think a veteran D such as Shawn O'Donnel from LA , Greg DeVries from Nash. Some one you'd get fro maybe a 5th or 6th round pick.

The guy I'd really like to see move here is Colby Armstrong from Atl, RFA at the end of this season, currently $1.2 / season , 27 years old, right handed, 6' 1"/ 190 and plays with an edge
cheers
trouble

Post by trouble »

Fred wrote:I keep thinking if we have an injury on Defense in the play-offs and we have to use either Davison or Nycholat we're in trouble. The forwards we have Jaffray, Krog or Bolduc are all reasonable cover but at the back end there's very little on the Moose roster, maybe Baumgartner. So I still think a veteran D such as Shawn O'Donnel from LA , Greg DeVries from Nash. Some one you'd get fro maybe a 5th or 6th round pick.

The guy I'd really like to see move here is Colby Armstrong from Atl, RFA at the end of this season, currently $1.2 / season , 27 years old, right handed, 6' 1"/ 190 and plays with an edge

I would prefer if we are gonna make a move, is getting a puck moving D-man, But the problem here is every team wants one and there are very few around,But if we were gonna add one player thats where i would go
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

trouble wrote: I would prefer if we are gonna make a move, is getting a puck moving D-man, But the problem here is every team wants one and there are very few around,But if we were gonna add one player thats where i would go
And they're going to cost you some thing, likely more than you want to pay
cheers
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

trouble wrote:

I would prefer if we are gonna make a move, is getting a puck moving D-man, But the problem here is every team wants one and there are very few around,But if we were gonna add one player thats where i would go
You raise a good point.

Here is the thing with the trade deadline:

-Buyers almost ALWAYS overpay for players
-Almost all of the coveted players out there will cost a shit load (i.e. Atlanta with Keith Tkachuk).

An argument can be made that the BEST strategy for buyers at the deadline, is to go after players that have low value (and as result, won't be too difficult to acquire) with an expectation that they will 'step it up' big time down the stretch.

Getting guys like Pronger, Niedermayer, Tkachuk, and even 'lesser' guys like Antropov, Halpern, Madden, etc. are nice, but won't come cheap. The Islanders aren't exactly going to piss away Bill Guerin for nothing either. In the past, we have seen how much the Canucks paid for guys like Sopel, Smolinski, Carney, Weinrich, Rucinsky, Sanderson, Bergevin, etc., etc.

That's one of the reasons why I am intrigued with the idea of acquiring guys like Darcy Tucker and Sean Avery (not saying that I would....but am intrigued with the idea nonetheless).

-Both have low value right now...and probably could be had for very little

-In Tucker's case, the guy is in his early/mid 30's and hasn't been in the post-season for awhile. Being on the same team with Sundin again, you would have to think that he'd be motivated as hell to play well.

-If Avery joins the new team and acts up (on or off the ice).....game, set, match. The guy will most likely never get a chance to play at the NHL for a LONG LONG time (if ever). If Avery acts up, do what Dallas did. Plain and simple.

According to rumors, Anaheim might be on the verge of blowing up there team. Never mind Pronger and Niedermayer, even a guy like Chris Kunitz would be expensive as hell (relatively speaking).

I don't know if I'd like to see Avery or Tucker in a Canucks uniform, but I'm VERY interested to see how these guys would do if they got traded at the deadline to playoff-contending teams.
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

A puck moving d-man is a dream.....its not going to happen......keeping or trading Ohlund is our big move....

i would concentrate on the 3rd & 4th line & a depth d-man

The wellwood/pyatt/bernier does not strike fear into anybody. Goodbye Wellwood & Pyatt (I think the Canucks have been hiding Pyatt's injuries all year..cronic back??...some thing is up with that guy...) even Johnson has been slow to return to form.
i think we need some 'hack, whack & smack' types to play with Bernier. I still wish the Canucks had signed Yelle....
But I like the idea of Lapierreier :lol: from COL, Halpern from TB, Boynton from FLA, Gary Roberts??, Malik?,
Leopold from COL would be a nice addition.
There are some gems to pick from if you are not looking to shore up your top 2 lines.....which I think we may be in position to do....finally.....
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

I bet MG could pull off a Pyatt for Neil type deal being that CN is an UFA next summer and TP still has oodles of "potential" in his value. ...well at least outside of the Canuck fan circles anyways. Neil would definitely serve a purpose and make a solid checker on the 3rd or 4th lines....provide some support for Hordy.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy