I hate the Canucks! I love the Canucks!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mozy
MVP
MVP

Re: I hate the Canucks! I love the Canucks!

Post by Mozy »

They love to break your heart. Its your typical love hate relationship
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Robert wrote:
But how is this possible without Burtuzzi, Naslund and Morrison?
LOL,

If you're going to try and rip on someone, the least you can do is spell 'Bertuzzi' correctly. :P

I sound like a broken record, but I'll say it again: Don't judge this team based on this current slump. Let's judge this team when Luongo, Sundin, Pyatt, Salo, and Johnson have a handful of more games under their belt and are no longer rusty (i.e. end January/early February).

If the Canucks fail to excel between that time and when the trade deadline occurs, I'll admit that I was wrong for having lofty expectations of this team.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Mozy wrote:They love to break your heart. Its your typical love hate relationship
What really boggles my mind, is how injuries have completely decimated this team over the past 2 seasons. Lets hope that the Canucks are finally over this injury bug.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Mikodat wrote:This team has been a hard luck team from the first coin toss when the Sabres got Gilbert Perrault... and then we ended up second to last... so we missed first pick next year too ( Marcel Dionne )..
As an interesting bit of trivia, it wasn't a coin toss it was a roulette wheel spin, and the Sabre GM/owner/whoever picked 11 and won with 11. That is why Gilbert Perrault wore 11. (And no, I don't remember any of that trivia, I just went to see Perrault's wikipedia page...).
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

As an interesting bit of trivia, it wasn't a coin toss it was a roulette wheel spin, and the Sabre GM/owner/whoever picked 11 and won with 11. That is why Gilbert Perrault wore 11. (And no, I don't remember any of that trivia, I just went to see Perrault's wikipedia page...).
Shouldn't have ruined it, dork, I was impressed and amused. :lol:
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Larry Goodenough wrote:I was born the same year as the NHL version of the Vancouver Canucks.
Me too. :mrgreen:

And that makes us pretty young and beautiful in this special bunch. :lol:

I don't know what it is but that's exactly it, always easy to cheer for a overall succesful team but hard as ice to dream for something they maybe never get...

But if, i can guarantee for nothing.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Two wins in a row. I love the Canucks! Plan the parade route!

Hope they don't blow it against St. Louis.
Cannie
CC Veteran

Post by Cannie »

Well, I came into this world in 1970, the same year as the Canucks. I have been a fan since I was old enough to understand, but strangely enough, it wasn't because of the influence of die hard relatives. My family doesn't follow sports; it was Jim Robson who hooked me.

All the radios in the house and car were turned to CKNW 980 when I was little. I had a little clock radio by my bed that I used to turn down verrry low to hear Jim Robson broadcast the Canucks games, pretending to be falling asleep, but instead dreaming of the chance to see my team live. He was the one who seeded the devotion to the team I display today.

My dad was understanding of my burgeoning love, and usually was able to take me to a few games a year. The seats he managed to get were always first row blues in the old Pacific Coliseum, which afforded a short 8 year-old an unobstructed view of the action. I was hooked! I could tell you every stat, every personal fact about every player. Jack McIlhargey's sister was my music teacher at Irvine Elementary in PoCo, and Rick Blight's house was on my paper route. I lived and breathed Canucks.

I remember crying when Harold Snepsts gave up the puck to Bossy late in overtime in Game one of the 1982 Stanley Cup finals. By then, my family knew to leave me alone. I never gave up hope through the dry years of the 1980s, when the rink was half full and the enthusiasm was lukewarm.

When I was in university in the early 1990's, I used to go to 10-20 games a year, usually on the Shoppers Drug Mart 10 dollar tickets (starving student). And when Pavel Bure finally arrived, I bought a single ticket and was witness to the single most breathtaking event I can recall at the old Coliseum. When he made those two end-to-end rushes on consecutive shifts in the first period, the collective gasp of the crowd, the utter exhilaration of the moment and the realization that he was not a visiting young superstar, but he BELONGED to us, brought us to an epiphany of joy.

The early and mid 90s were a fun time to be a Canucks fan. After the Canucks GM fleeced the Blues for Ronning, Courtnall, and Momesso, the Habs for Diduck and Lumme, and the Devils for Adams and McLean, there was some genuine depth and talent, and a ton of character, which made the team both exciting and formidable. It was no surprise to see them reach the finals in 1994. I was front and centre in Canucks mania, meeting them at the airport, surfing cars on Robson street in the after game celebrations (have the ticket to prove it), and revelling in the euphoria that gripped this town.

For Game 7 of the finals versus the Rangers, I hosted a party at my place on Fraser Street, with 8-10 of my closest friends to watch history, however it turned out. By then, my little townhouse had been transformed into a Canucks-themed museum, with those ubiquitous Canucks posters wallpapering every wall, hockey cards of every player in their special spot, and good luck charms on the television. We were all so drained by the end of the game, and the end of two months of blissful obsession during the playoff run, that we stayed home instead of taking the 15 minute bus ride downtown. So, I missed the riot and all its unpleasant ramifications.

Trevor Linden and I are the same age, both of us born in 1970. I cannot begin to even explain our connection, as I lived vicariously through his successes and occasional challenges in his career. Though my athletic career fizzled out quickly, I have done well in life, and having peers like Linden to remind me the importance of integrity, giving back to the community, being a role model, hard work, and personal responsibility was an unquestioned influence on the person I am.

To this day, I am a Canucks fan thick and thin. I usually post more when things are going well, and rarely say anything negative. I've come too far, invested too much, to start doubting my affiliation. I still feel great about the direction of the organization, we have one of the top 10 franchises in the NHL, maybe top 5, and our day WILL come. In the meantime, lets enjoy the ride through thick and thin. Hockey is an amazing game, it brings us all together, it builds community, and its a great diversion through the less savoury aspects of life. I love hockey, and I love the Canucks.

Forever faithful,

Cannie
:towel: :towel: :towel: GO CANUCKS GO!!! :towel: :towel: :towel:
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

So.... um, you're on the bandwagon then? ;)

Nice read Cannie
Cannie
CC Veteran

Post by Cannie »

I drive the bandwagon, haha. And I often choose to slow up for those who have jumped off and are trying to jump back on again. The more the merrier, but stay on the damn wagon, okay!

Thanks,

Cannie
:towel: :towel: :towel: GO CANUCKS GO!!! :towel: :towel: :towel:
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

I was born in late '61, and was a habs fan until Vancouver got a franchise. I think I became a habs fan in about '67 or '68 because of a cub scouts teacher who was a rabid habs fan. My father was also a habs fan, although he pretended he liked to watch hockey for the sake of watching hockey (the liar).

The disappointment in '82 (snepts pass to bossy) is never far from my mind, nor is the claim of my roommate at the time "the cancuks were a flash in the pan". How prophetic and disappointing.

Bure and Linden brought hope, and a decade later Naslund and Bertuzzi brought hope.

I will be a canuck fan until I die, but in the theme of this thread I think my feeling are more along the lines of "I love the canucks" to "I am disappointed with the canucks".
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Speaking Naslund and Bertuzzi, I heard rumors that both Anaheim and Calgary might ship Morrison and Bertuzzi respectively to NYR (for ???).

IF the WCE actually do re-unite one day, that team will automatically become my 2nd favorite team...no questions asked.

I'm not really sure why I'm so fixated on the idea of those three, regardless of what team they play for, re-uniting and rediscovering their games....to the point where they lead their team to the promised land.
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

Farhan, that would exceed my limits as far as feeling pain would be concerned. I think that would suck so bad!!1
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

westvandal wrote:Farhan, that would exceed my limits as far as feeling pain would be concerned. I think that would suck so bad!!1
Don't mind me.

After thinking about some of my comments this past summer, I think I might be legitimately gay for Morrison, Bertuzzi, and Naslund in their entirety. :eh:

I'd genuinely be happy for those guys if they won the cup together.

You know what's weird? Pre 2004, I didn't "care" about former canuck players once they left for other teams (Bure and Linden being the only exception). After 2004 when the Flames defeated the Canucks however, I just feel like I changed. Not only did my sports-related disdain for the Flames and Oilers turn into a personalized and unhealthy hatred of Alberta and Toronto (over time...just their whole attitude towards Bertuzzi and other issues...which built up over time), my loyalty towards towards the Canuck alumni of 01-04 started to increase.

I genuinely feel sorry and bad for those group of guys that didn't win for Vancouver. Even now - I wish nothing but the best for guys like Jovanovski, Cloutier, Cooke, Bertuzzi, Morrison, Naslund, and heck, even Marek freaking Malik! I really thought it was messed up that Bertuzzi had to go through the ridiculous Steve Moore ordeal, and that Naslund's career (as a superstar) was pretty much ended because of that as well...thanks to Moore. Those guys were such a good group of guys and it kills me that most of these guys will be pegged as guys that "couldn't get it done in the clutch." I guess a part of my sympathy towards these guys stems from the fact that we saw these guys grow before our very eyes for many years.

The funny thing, is that I didn't even have this much "blind loyalty" towards our 1994 guys. Although I loved those guys, I stopped 'caring' about Ronning, Momesso, McLean, Gelinas, Diduck, Odjick, Dirk, Courtnal, etc., etc, when they left Vancouver. Ditto for Alex Mogilny.

Hypothetically speaking - if Naslund, Bertuzzi, Morrison, Cooke, Jovanovski, Cloutier, and other ex-Canucks from 01-04 re-united together on another team and played against Vancouver, I actually could see myself cheering that 'other' team.....even with Luongo here. Although this situation will obviously never happen, it would mark the 1st time in my history as a hockey fan, that I would openly cheer against "the Canucks."

Like I said late last year - come Olympic time 2010......If I saw Naslund, Sedin twins, Ohlund, and Edler on one side, facing off against Iginla, Phaneuf, Reghyr, Smyth, and Sakic on the other side.....I just don't know if I'd be cheering Canada in that particular instance.....even if half of those Swedes were no longer representing the Canucks organization. I probably would since I'd be surrounded by family/friends, etc. that would be ( :P ).....but still.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I genuinely feel sorry and bad for those group of guys that didn't win for Vancouver. Even now - I wish nothing but the best for guys like Jovanovski, Cloutier, Cooke, Bertuzzi, Morrison, Naslund, and heck, even Marek freaking Malik! I really thought it was messed up that Bertuzzi had to go through the ridiculous Steve Moore ordeal, and that Naslund's career (as a superstar) was pretty much ended because of that as well...thanks to Moore. Those guys were such a good group of guys and it kills me that most of these guys will be pegged as guys that "couldn't get it done in the clutch." I guess a part of my sympathy towards these guys stems from the fact that we saw these guys grow before our very eyes for many years.
I don't agree completely with where you seem to be positing the blame, but I have the same issues. It was a really bitter pill to swallow watching that all fall apart so dramatically, when only a couple years before there was so much optimism. I think it was the shock of going from one extreme to the other without ever really getting any of the reward that made it so difficult. Sort of seems like fate robbed us of one.

Part of the reason I want to rebuild, I want to watch a new core mature and hopefully prosper that has exciting players. How much fun was it to watch Naslund and Bertuzzi or even Jovo develop and excel. I've never felt anything like that toward the Sedins and Luongo was ready before he got here. Maybe I just have no attachment to this core, but I don't think it's very good, and don't really want to have to live with it.