WHO should the Canucks get with their freed-up cap space?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Re: WHO should the Canucks get with their freed-up cap space?

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Just a thought: IF the Canucks were to add another young power forward to this group (Nathan Horton?....or maybe someone else of this mold), at the expense of both Mason Raymond, Kyle Wellwood, and perhaps a draft pick, the Canucks could actually be a fairly decent sized team on paper.

Sedin-Sedin-Newpowerforward
Demitra-Sundin-Bernier
Burrows-Kesler-Hansen
Hordichuk-Johnson-Pyatt

A line up like that would have a good blend of size, grit, and skill.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

That's pretty much why I like Nathan Horton so much, despite the knocks against him.

I would rotate Hanssen with Bernier and then Pyatt with Hanssen though.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Consdiering he's a 23 year old (same age as Raymond), consistent threat to score 30 (something Raymond won't consistently do), 6'2 and 230 (not 6'0 180), yes I'd like to have him. BUT...Horton's gonna take a helluva lot more than a "second" liner, a former waiver survivor and a pick... I like it, but it'll cost us Ohlund or Bieksa + going the other way, and I would rather keep Bieksa.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Good points TC and IKH.

If Horton costs too much, then perhaps another *lesser known* power forward with decent hands would suffice? I know that Dustin Penner and Erik Cole are having rough years in Edmonton, but how would one of them look alongside the twins?

Both players are a pricey but the Canucks have cap space. Inter-divisional trades almost never take place but they sometimes do (i.e. Col-Cal; Tanguay for Leopold, Min/Edm; 1st for Roloson).
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Farhan Lalji wrote:Good points TC and IKH.

If Horton costs too much, then perhaps another *lesser known* power forward with decent hands would suffice?
Like Steve Bernier, or Taylor Pyatt? ;)

I would personally rather go for a sniper. If the Lightning aren't shopping Vinny, maybe they'll listen to an offer for St. Louis. Point/game, plus player on the awful Lightening, leading their team in scoring and it signed for a manageable 4 million for the next two seasons. (cap hit of 5.25) Certainly an option if we decide to re-up the twins, keep Ohlund, Pyatt walks, and don't make a play for Hossa or Gabs.

Wouldn't mind picking up a guy like Colby Armstrong either, I think he would fit perfectly with the make-up of this team and I could see his 17% shooting percentage working wonders on the Kesler line.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Farhan Lalji wrote:Just a thought: IF the Canucks were to add another young power forward to this group (Nathan Horton?....or maybe someone else of this mold), at the expense of both Mason Raymond, Kyle Wellwood, and perhaps a draft pick, the Canucks could actually be a fairly decent sized team on paper.
Uh yeah. Right. Teams are just lining up to give the Canucks their best young players for an unproven of the same age (Raymond), a guy they could have had on waivers just 2 months ago (Wellwood), and a draft pick that they could hopefully use to draft a good, young player like...Nathan Horton. Sorry Farhan, but as the Canucks unravel further, your fantasies are getting weirder. All things considered, I'm warming up to your original idea of getting Bertuzzi back here. :(
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I know I've made mention of this before but a puck moving defenseman would get my vote. Our transission game seems to be faltering and th QB on the PP is almost none existant. The Canucks are perpetually heading the wrong way in their own zone. Doubling back again and again only to cough it up evetually. In past that's because other teams understand that our outlet is a left winger at the opposition blue line and if it's not there then we head back to our own zone. WE need a "D" with the ability to make sharp crisp passes giving us a multitude of looks and clearing our zone. No need to comment on thne PP, it's self evident
cheers
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Hodgson, Edler and a first for Bouwmeester and Horton? Probably wouldn't get it done, and that's quite a bit. So, really I'm not sure what we can do in terms of getting both a power play d-man and a top six guy.