LaBarbera for a 7th

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

the toucan kid
CC Legend

LaBarbera for a 7th

Post by the toucan kid »

So Schneider will go back down and go back to dominating the AHL I suppose. I was not in favor of acquiring a goaltender, but this one cost nothing.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php ... &Itemid=55
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Re: LaBarbera for a 7th

Post by LotusBlossom »

the toucan kid wrote:So Schneider will go back down and go back to dominating the AHL I suppose. I was not in favor of acquiring a goaltender, but this one cost nothing.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php ... &Itemid=55
Nice to see this move. Labarbera for a 7th rounder is good. So where is he going to go when Luongo comes back? Waivers?
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

This doesn't send a good message to me at all...
Luongo isn't going to be back anytime soon is what it means. Also, does it send the right message to Sanford, when he's been playing so well? I don't know about this, I suppose its gotta be done when it can happen for a 7th! Where does he go when Lou is back?
I don''t feel good about this.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

I'm not that worried. They probably didn't want Schneider cooling his heels on the bench so they got a backup with NHL experience. This might allow Gillis to package LaBarbera in with someone else closer to the deadline or once Luongo comes back. A 7th round pick isn't that bad of a price. It also allows Schneider to back for more development in the AHL.

Luongo skated today so we'll see what the time line is for his return.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Sanford goes to the injured reserve, groin [ull
cheers
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Wow - what a surprise. LaBarbera is a decent (not great) goalie. He's proven he can play at this level and will make a good backup for Sanford, and challenge him a little. It also shows that the team once again addressed a need, and protected a prospect who wasn't quite ready for the show.

All this for a 7th? Great move. I've seen play a number of times and will not panic when he gets the call. Behind a better team his numbers should improve.

After the King's Cloutier fiasco, they ended up with a number of young goalie. Ersberg and Quick will need time, but could become a solid tandem for them.

Edit:
Sanford goes to the injured reserve, groin
Crap.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

we are fracking doomed.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

First thing I did when I got home was check the boxscore of the game and saw Sandford lasted 1 period. I assumed he was hurt. Then I saw this thread and figured it was an insurance policy as well. I've wanted Labarbera as a back up for years. Sadly, this is not the way I wanted him to join the Canucks.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
trouble

Post by trouble »

This is another huge blow to the Nucks.. (losing Sanford)

I'm not sure if this new guy has what it takes.. Guess we will find out soon enough.. I know one thing for sure Scheinder doesn't have it..

Turns out Sanford hurt his groin in practice and tryed to play but was pulled in the first..
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

They screwed up the first attempt for luongo to come back totally, now they back a little time. With Sanford getting injuried you still can't send Schneider back to the AHL. Tough times hopefully the boys learn from them.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

Sanford is out week-to-week so we'll be seeing alot of him whether he plays well or not.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

So I guess it's LaBarbera splitting time with Schneider. I think what this says is the management doesn't feel confident that Schneider can start night to night with Lou out. I don't think it's necessarily a knock on Cory, because this is still his first NHL stint and is young and is proving he still needs experience in the AHL. Let LaBarbera start the comfy majority of the games with Cory getting a couple starts and hopefully Lou won't be coming back to a less-than-.500 club. That said, could this trade be saying something about the seriousness of Lou's injury?

Thing is, what happens when Lou and Sanford come back? Does it make LaBarbera or Schneider the trade bait? What's better? Having LaBarbera cooling his heels in Winnipeg and trading Schneider in a package for somebody significant, or having Schneider develop in Winnipeg and trading him for less than a 7th/losing him on waiver?

What if this is a gentleman's deal, and Vancouver trades LaBarbera back for the same 7th rounder once Sanford comes back? Has such a thing ever happened? Crazy, but it's a thought....
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Can anyone tell me if the trade was announced before Sanford went down?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
hoopsjunky
CC Rookie

Post by hoopsjunky »

It was announced during the first intermission.

That said, I know that the Canucks have been trying to get LaBarbera for at least a couple of seasons now. IIRC, they wanted him part of the Cloutier deal.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Cornuck wrote:Can anyone tell me if the trade was announced before Sanford went down?
AV noted in his post game comments that Gillis and co. hit the phones as soon as they were made aware that Sanford's groin was acting up in practice. Thus it seems to be a trade less in reaction to Luongo's absence than that of worry over Sanford's condition.

Not a bad pick-up in my mind. Only lost a 7th and I would not want to have Schneider have the pressure of playing nearly every game. He still needs some seasoning before hitting the big league full time.

As already stated in this thread after we get our injured goalies back the option remains open to Gillis to flip Labarbera in a package deal before deadline. Or if he shows pretty good for us, we have the option of moving Sanford and resigning a home town boy.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu