BURKE OUT AS GM OF DUCKS, BOB MURRAY TAKES OVER

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

BURKE OUT AS GM OF DUCKS, BOB MURRAY TAKES OVER

Post by mattola »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=255628& ... Story_main

The Anaheim Ducks have called a news conference for this afternoon to announce that Bob Murray is taking over as general manager.

Details to follow.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Re: BURKE OUT AS GM OF DUCKS, BOB MURRAY TAKES OVER

Post by the toucan kid »

Finally something interesting is happening...
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

I hope Kevin Lowe makes some jack ass comment. :lol:

Don't get me wrong - I have no love loss for Kevin Lowe....but if anyone deserved to take a cheap shot at Burke right now it would be Lowe. :)
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

update

Burke will be present and will speak at the conference.

so its not a firing. a Shuffle is in the works obviously and its clear Burke has no intention of resigning with the Ducks so I think he is doing the right thing (and the team is doing the right thing) and replacing him now so the season is not at risk for them.
Kikbutt_10
CC Veteran

Post by Kikbutt_10 »

Ah great, now TSN has something to talk about in regards to the leaves, I'm sure while watching the Nucks game tonight the panel will drift to this topic and start up the Leaf Lover talk again...
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Burke to the leaves is an inevitability now. I'm sure this'll drag out for a few months, and he probably won't have his name on a contract until March or so to make it seem like he looked at other options, but for better or for worse Burkie is off to the big smoke. To be honest, I think it's a good thing. Burke is one of the few colourful characters in our sport, and putting him in charge of the largest market is exceedingly good for growing the game. I think the only better places he could go would be the Rangers or perhaps Boston.

Wilson and Burke with the Toronto media will be fantastic to watch. I'm pretty sure a reporter will get violently assaulted if not murdered at a press conference some time in the next 18 months.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

This is going to be the true test of BB, the cupboard is pretty bare. So it'll be nice to see what he does, always assuming he does go to Leaf land.

He' ll sure put Strachan in his place LOL Could be worth watching
cheers
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Dreger says the leaves won't make a decision until spring... but they say a lot of things. Burke's going to stay on for a week or two as a consultant before he pursues other options. Under NHL rules Burke cannot seek another GM job without the blessing of his former team, so technically, the Ducks can keep Burke on board until his contract expires, but they won't.
Cannie
CC Veteran

Post by Cannie »

Whither Dave Nonis in all of this, now that Bob Murray has been touted as Burke's successor as the GM "all along", judging by the comments of the Ducks upper management today? It sounds as if Burke has been grooming Murray for the job pending his inevitable departure: "Bob was in on all of my decisions - he is ready" (paraphrase).

Maybe Burke/Nonis will be a 2 for 1 special when Toronto makes its move. Or maybe Nonis isn't is as highly regarded as we were led to believe when he was here. I don't see where he went wrong, personally. Not only the Luongo heist, but also getting good value for Cloutier when he was done, and firing helmet head Crawford and bringing in AV.

Cannie
:towel: :towel: :towel: GO CANUCKS GO!!! :towel: :towel: :towel:
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Nonis will follow Burke to TO just like Burke & McCammon followed Quinn to Vancouver.

But this all begs the bigger question, was Sundin really meeting w/ Anaheim or was he actually meeting with Burke knowing full well all this was going down and the discussion was regarding BOTH of them going to T.O.?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Cannie
CC Veteran

Post by Cannie »

EXCELLENT point, Clam. That luxury condo in Toronto might see more of Mats and his Jessica Simpson lookalike girlfriend than we thought!
:towel: :towel: :towel: GO CANUCKS GO!!! :towel: :towel: :towel: