JP Barry on the Team 1040

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

newostar
CC 2nd Team All-Star

JP Barry on the Team 1040

Post by newostar »

JP Barry, Mats Sundin's North American agent based in Calgary, will be on the Team 1040's Pratt and Taylor show at approximately 5:20 pm today.

Just a heads up so we can analyze the rhetoric.
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

so? Summary from anyone for those of us who were unable to hear? We should find one of those celebrity body language people to weigh in on this stuff too... y'know... give us that inside edge

EDIT: Wow, NWM. I'm an idiot, and can't figure out a timezone. I'm gonna wind up missing anyway, so if someone get's a chance I'd love a summary! Thanks guys.
George
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by George »

Nothing too much new...

- Set very early August as a decision deadline so he can be ready for training camp.

- Wants to play for a winning team, but one that he can put over the top. Turned down Detroit early on because he didn't feel they really needed him.

- Some other teams have offered to make cap room for Sundin if he specifically wants to play for them.

- Money isn't everything, but it helps players "judge themselves"

- Physically ready to train, but has to decide if he's ready mentally

Once again it really sounds to me as if Toronto is out of the running. Between Montreal and Vancouver at this point - seemed to be saying all the right things about Vancouver, but hard to tell given the target audience...
West Coast Jets Fan
CC Veteran

Post by West Coast Jets Fan »

Turned down Detroit early on because he didn't feel they really needed him.

So he turned down a team he thought was really strong, because he wouldn't be "the Man"...is that what I'm reading? If he's looking for teams that really need him as opposed to his chances of winning a cup, then he should have stayed in Toronto, or signed here 5 mins after the offer.

I thought it was always about the Cup? I guess not.

I'll pass on Sundin, thank you. I prefer the Rob Brind'amour type, who would die to win a Cup rather than a guy who wants to be needed.
1972-1996

3 Avco Cups
George
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by George »

I don't mind it... he didn't say he wanted to be "the man" - he said he wanted to be able to play a vital role and put the team over the top. Sure he wants to win, but why go for a free ride on the defending champs where you wouldn't make that much of a difference anyway? Unless you're trying to pad your stats or get a better contract (ala Hossa) I don't really see the point....
West Coast Jets Fan
CC Veteran

Post by West Coast Jets Fan »

I wasn't aware that we all knew Detroit was going to win the cup back at the trade deadline.....as I recall, they made a play for him then too.

I guess Mats wanted to stay in TO and play a vital role rather than just padding his stats on the Wings.

How many rings does Mats have now? Guess he didn't want to pad that stat.

And I will have to thank him for telling us that Detroit is a shoo-in to win the Cup again this year....makes my hockey pool picks a helluva lot easier.

You can defend him until the cows come home, but I want a guy who wants to win the prize, and he has yet to show me that he is even remotely interested in it.
If he is looking to put a team over the top, then I hope he can speak french.
1972-1996

3 Avco Cups
Bret H
MVP
MVP

Post by Bret H »

If you want to just pad the stats and win the Cup by going to the best team... well... I don't see that as an indication of a winner... you mean everyone should want to go to Detroit so that they could win the Cup just because everyone else on that team is so good?? Sundin didn't want to waive his NTC to go to Detroit at the deadline because he wanted to be part of the team all the way, and not just join for the last weeks. Do you think that's wrong too...? To me that's a good character move by Sundin. It's not just about being a member of a winning team, it's about contributing and feel you're really a part of it.

I don't see your point really. You only want players that would like to play for Detroit? Well... I much rather have players that want to play for Canucks.
George
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by George »

West Coast Jets Fan wrote:I wasn't aware that we all knew Detroit was going to win the cup back at the trade deadline.....as I recall, they made a play for him then too.

I guess Mats wanted to stay in TO and play a vital role rather than just padding his stats on the Wings.

How many rings does Mats have now? Guess he didn't want to pad that stat.

And I will have to thank him for telling us that Detroit is a shoo-in to win the Cup again this year....makes my hockey pool picks a helluva lot easier.

You can defend him until the cows come home, but I want a guy who wants to win the prize, and he has yet to show me that he is even remotely interested in it.
If he is looking to put a team over the top, then I hope he can speak french.
Well, if you want a guy who wants a Cup and nothing else, you're not going to have anyone sign with the Canucks - or, for that matter, about 26 other teams out there. They'll just sign with the best bets, play a few minutes, and hope they go home with a ring. Frankly I'd prefer someone who actually wants some responsiblity... apparently that's not as highly valued as it used to be...
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I understand both your points (I think). What seems puzzling is that if Sundin wants a Cup, his best bet is to head to Detroit (or maybe Pittsburgh).

Do you think he had any idea he wanted to play for Vancouver until MG waved 10 million dollars under his nose? Worst travel schedule in the league, defensive team, harder conference to play in... where's the incentive? Are we a contender?

It makes no sense to me why he wants to play here, except for the $$. Once he signs the paper, where's he incentive to earn it?

I hope he comes here, has a great year or two, helps develop the kids and makes his linemates better. But I'm not betting the farm that all of that is going to happen.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Sundin is a character guy. Here is a guy who put up numbers in Toronto of all places. Here is a guy that actually tried and was a good teammate and a great player in a place (Toronto) that is completely devoid of hope.

One could argue that $10M is too much, one could argue his production will drop in the west, and one could argue that at 38 maybe his production will fall off a cliff.

But one can't argue that Matts F-ing Sundin is going to sit on his butt (ala Bertuzzi) and not even try, or pull a Naslund (or Linden) and float around for 3/4 of the season. And one can't argue that he'll pull a Messier and be completely useless.

I can see why he doesn't want to go to Detroit. If he wins a ring it would be somewhat tainted by the fact he jumped ship to a powerhouse. Would he feel like he actually earned it if he went to Detroit ? Probably not. Is he going to win it in Vancouver ? Probably not, but if he does he will be more than a wee little cog in the wheel.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Well , he hasn't sold out to a powerhouse team ( Detroit ) and its obvious that $$ isn't the only factor ( Canucks ) or he'd be signed. Maybe the guy actually wants to enjoy his last couple years in the NHL... or just maybe he's thinking about retiring and going fishing? MG maybe should put a " can go fishing - time off during season " clause in his offer :)... BC has got the edge over the rest of the teams for fishing at least... not much else.. lousy schedule, defensive team, never been a cup winner.. and a press corp and fan base that can kill.. Odd of getting him seem slim... but I keep hoping .. For sure he's a character guy and if he does come here it will be to play hockey... not to play the " union " game ala Messier , Bertuzzi..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

I kind of agree with Dr.Dork in that maybe he doesn't want to go to Detroit because he wouldn't have "earned it" that way, should they win it again. So maybe if you wear some rosey glasses for a minute, Vancouver could be more attractive because we're a fairly young team with solid defense and the best goaltender in the world? I think the Luongo factor could be stronger then people think. I'm not saying it's THE determining factor but between Montreal and Vancouver, who would you rather ride into the playoffs, Price or Booby Lou? Price is a great young goaltender no doubt about that, but he's just not Luongo at this stage in his career. Who's the last really top-tier goaltender the leaves have had? Maybe to Mats the idea of coming in with a guy like Luongo behind him and a solid back end, and also having a 2nd scoring line in the twins also able to take some of the pressure off the top line...throw in the Swedish connection... suddenly when you look at it that way it's not such a bad idea! haha in a perfect world I guess... Just hurry up and get this over with, either way!