Vancouver Sports Media - A Rant

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Kowch
CC Veteran

Vancouver Sports Media - A Rant

Post by Kowch »

I'm tired.

I'm tired of Tony Gallagher. I'm tired of Ed Willis. I'm tired of Ian MacIntyre. Vancouver sports writers suck.

Maybe it's just me, but back when I lived in BC, the only real asshole in the news media there was Neil MacRae and that other guy on the radio that my mom hated because he always called every woman who called into his program "doll"... but I digress.

What I'm on about is the fact that they're already tearing Pavol Demitra to shreds and he hasn't even played a game in a Canucks uniform. Wait... let me back up a mintue. He hasn't even had a PRACTICE in a Canucks uniform. In fact, he probably hasn't even been fitted for a practice jersey. And already the media in Vancouver is trying to run him out of town.

For a team and city that now seemingly wants Sundin to sign, why would he? Why would he come to a city that's already trashing a decent player for no apparent reason? I'm sick and tired of trying to dig out information on the team only to find negative bullshit columns from reporters that seem to have some kind of chip on their shoulder and regardless of who Gillis brings in they're going to trash them. We as fans should demand better.

Is it fair to criticize? Absolutely. But, when reading Mr. MacIntyre's column today in the Vancouver sun I see:
Unrestricted free agent Mats Sundin, pondering a $10-million-a-year offer from the Canucks the way we might ponder a toonie dropped in a dumpster -- should we reach in there when our wallet is full, or just keep our hands clean? -- would make Vancouver a lot better.
WTF?

If I'm Mats Sundin, and a friend or my agent called me up with a snippet of an article like this, I'd take a less money to play elsewhere.

I lived in Toronto for a number of years. Picking on the leaves is like shooting fish in a barrell.. it's the easiest thing you can do. You're talking about a franchise that hasn't been to the finals since 1967 - the last year of a 6 team NHL. Since then, they really haven't done anything. They're still moaning about "the fix" the NHL had in for them when LA beat them to go to the finals. And every year is "next year" and before training camp, the parade route is already planned down Yonge St. But as harsh as the media is there, every year they're critical, but supportive. Even now when things are looking bleak for them, they're trying to look at the positives - something I haven't seen from a single Vancouver sports writer to date.

I'm tired of it.

This has to stop.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

This pretty much says it all about MacIntyre:
That's why Gillis still needs another top-six forward. That might have been Fabian Brunnstrom had owner Frank Aquilini waited another couple of weeks to fire Dave Nonis in April.
Lee Goren outscored Brunnstrom in the same league. I guess Nonis was foolish to let him go because based on MacIntyre's yardstick he might have become a top six forward.
The Canucks added a 15-goal scorer, overpaying the diminished 33-year-old Slovak with a two-year, $8-million sweetheart contract from his former agent. Or, if you prefer, Canuck general manager Mike Gillis took advantage of their friendship to lure the productive offensive dynamo to Vancouver..
And if Gillis had resigned Naslund and Naslund continued his relatively disinterested play the above litany would have read:
The Canucks overpayed the waning Swedish star with a two year 8$-million sweetheart contract from his former agent...
But if you think the Canucks might win something with a second line of Demitra, Kyle Wellwood and Mason Raymond, you're dreaming.
And what we are painfully aware of is that the Canucks with a second line of Markus Naslund, the injured Brendan Morrison and whomever missed the playoffs completely.

Ian's solution:
Belligerent restricted-free-agent wingers like Daniel Carcillo or Ryan Clowe would make the Canucks better. And Gillis still has the first- and third-round 2009 draft picks to make an offer up to $3.9-million-a-year on a RFA.
Yes Ian most teams give up their RFA's expecting little or no return. In fact you can contact them and unilaterally arrange a trade. Here take a draft pick and will take him and him and...

Perhaps I can assist Mr. MacIntyre in his well reasoned observations:
Gillis has failed miserably in his three month tenure as the Canuck's GM. He has yet to parley Canuck draft picks into meaningful players which will allow them to contend for the cup. The expected signing of Demitra ended all further activity except for the wait for the anticipated decision from Mats Sundin which is expected to end by Xmas 2009....Did I mention Nonis good, Gillis bad...
I can't believe the Sun pays this guy.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

It's sad, but remember that journalism as a whole has been dropping for years. The internet has caused newspapers to slash staff, and the ones that remain aren't the cream of the crop.

If it were just bad hockey reporting, I could live with it. But instead we have the worst media covering important subjects as well - with expected results.

I haven't read a newspaper in years and I surely don't read 'opinion' columns (which is what all sportswriters are these days).

There's a reason the internet is such a huge force. It does an infinitely better job of reporting news - especially sports.

As far as the Canucks go, I get enough opinions on this site to make up for not reading the Vancouver papers. I get the latest news (usually as it happens) and most of the comments here are well thought out and reflect the poster's true thoughts. When we post here, we don't have to worry about selling the site, offending readers or upsetting the boss (right Brian?) ;) We even have Farhan offering up though-provoking posts just for the sake of discussion and amusement.

Is there a reason you read the paper these days? To see what happened yesterday? For the ads? For insightful and intelligent reporting of the world around you? :roll:

Newspapers are done - put a fork in 'em.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

The only reason I really go to the Province and Sun is to try and get a nugget or two about the Canucks. The problem is I live in a non-hockey market with a shitty team (Atlanta) and good luck on finding any hockey releated news here.

I also get most of my Canucks news from here (and sadly CDC). Hockeybuzz is good for a laugh... but seriously...

*sigh*
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

Kowch wrote:The only reason I really go to the Province and Sun is to try and get a nugget or two about the Canucks. The problem is I live in a non-hockey market with a shitty team (Atlanta) and good luck on finding any hockey releated news here.

I also get most of my Canucks news from here (and sadly CDC). Hockeybuzz is good for a laugh... but seriously...

*sigh*
how is ticket availability there? and the prices?

if you were to gauge interest on a scale of 1 to 10 where would you put Atlanta?

with Vancouver IMO being a 9.5 out of 10 (because noone is perfect)

I a very curious to know what that market is like

radio coverage?

tv coverage?

internet sites?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I spent 2 weeks in Atlanta last year, and you would have no idea there is an NHL team there.

I spent 3-4 weeks in DC this year and went to a Caps playoff game. Once you crossed the street after the game, you would have no idea there was team there, let alone that there were playoffs going on.

If you go to the Raleigh area, you see Canes stuff everywhere - they have a presence. Even their state produced tourist guide had them on the back cover. Bars have Hurricane jerseys and stick up - you know there's a team there. The difference between Raleigh and the other two is that there is no competition in NC for pro sports.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
F15 Driver
MVP
MVP

Post by F15 Driver »

Completely agree with the above comments about the lousy degree of sports writers in Vancouver. They are terrible at their jobs. I very rarely buy a paper anymore just to read the sports. If you agree, the best way to make yourself heard is to let the paper's advertising clients know what you think. Tell them their ads were a waste of money. Sending an email to the paper's Editor will do nothing, sadly, they don't seem to care what their customers think or want.
F-15E Strike Eagle - Cadillac of the Skies!
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

mattola wrote:
Kowch wrote:The only reason I really go to the Province and Sun is to try and get a nugget or two about the Canucks. The problem is I live in a non-hockey market with a shitty team (Atlanta) and good luck on finding any hockey releated news here.

*sigh*
how is ticket availability there? and the prices?
Prices are low, availability is high. This gap is even more rediculous in South Florida.
if you were to gauge interest on a scale of 1 to 10 where would you put Atlanta?
I'd have to say a 2.5. But that's only because I'm involved with local hockey (play in a league) so I know a ton of people that are into them. Otherwise it's about the Falcons (shitty team), Braves (shitty team) and the Hawks (shitty team). Then it's about the Thrashers (shitty team).
I a very curious to know what that market is like

radio coverage?
hahahahahahaha... they're still talking about Michael Vick :)
tv coverage?
It's okay - the local TV station shows the games... the broadcast (by Canadian standards) is very medicore (and that's being generous).
internet sites?
There's a couple of boards down here, but outside of the people actively inolved with local hockey (and the AAHL is pretty sizable... just don't ask about the ice/rink conditions) I'd have to say they're not well known.
Icebreaka
CC Veteran

Post by Icebreaka »

I have to agree that the level or journalism in our cities papers is reaching new lows. You get far more honest assessments and ideas on message boards like these from amateurs than you do from professional writers such as Macintyre. Its like they hate the team no matter what. I mean even in the midst of a 5 game winning streak they will try to stoke the rumour mills about dissention in the dressng room or other non sense.

I think Naslund will enjoy his anonymity in NYC
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

I've been reading the Van area sports articles with more frequency since they have been added to sportsnet's "media wire" section on their site.

I also peek at some of the other cities' beat writiers as well to get a flavour for the type of articles that are written "in favour" of my 2nd, 3rd 4th etc favourite teams.

Interesting to see the Van "changes" when the Nux made their change in GM.

Almost like the WWE (same target group) villains turn and become the good guys. :lol: Or vice versa.

For the most part tho', they write to sell papers. And what sells ? Controversy.

Sites like these provide just as much entertainment value, IMO. Having said that, the beat writers are often the straw that stirs some of the opinions on these boards.

As I'm sure that some of these guys troll these same sites to get a feel for what buttons to push to exact a response.

Like the professional players that they write about, some of these writers have thick skin. It's unfortunate that their work isn't held to the same scrutiny as the players they write about.
F15 Driver
MVP
MVP

Post by F15 Driver »

It's unfortunate that their work isn't held to the same scrutiny as the players they write about.
Perfect!
Too bad it will never happen...
F-15E Strike Eagle - Cadillac of the Skies!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Don't get me wrong, I think everyone on this board knows my personal feelings on Vancouver media, but the question I have is this:

Who really is to blame?
The media for being (mostly) uneducated, loud mouthed, rumor mongering, semi-slanderous, panic generating, lazy writers/reporters ....
or the (mostly) uneducted, loud mouthed, rumor hungry, semi slanderous, panic needing, lazy fans?

one feeds the other crap, while the other seems to have a crap need......
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

The Vancouver sports media is undeniably sub-par in all forms. I wish we had one gem columnist to pay attention to, but I don't think there is one.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

thanks kowch. great info.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

F15 Driver wrote:
It's unfortunate that their work isn't held to the same scrutiny as the players they write about.
Perfect!
Too bad it will never happen...
since when were players held to that scrutiny. They still get their checks regardless of behaviour or play.

I wouldnt compare those too.

at least reporters can get fired..... (HELLO PRATT)