Sundin done?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

Badfish wrote:...But does RiverCitySports have a Sundin-Habs bobblehead? :)

nope! :) I double check. Not that I'm paranoid, or anything...
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

I have always wondered where Montreal stood in this race to Sundin... it was my understanding that Gainey spent alot of time "schmoozing" him, going to Sweden etc. I doubt they would just go away quietly and not say anything ... interesting to see how all this pans out ...

... wonder what MG has planned if Sundin does sign with the Habs ...

Grizz
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Grizzly wrote:I have always wondered where Montreal stood in this race to Sundin... it was my understanding that Gainey spent alot of time "schmoozing" him, going to Sweden etc. I doubt they would just go away quietly and not say anything ... interesting to see how all this pans out ...

Grizz
Gainey tried to go to Sweden, but Sundin told him not to come as he wasn't ready to make a decision. I know I started this thread, but I truly don't think Sundin is coming to Vancouver.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Linden Is God wrote:
Grizzly wrote:I have always wondered where Montreal stood in this race to Sundin... it was my understanding that Gainey spent alot of time "schmoozing" him, going to Sweden etc. I doubt they would just go away quietly and not say anything ... interesting to see how all this pans out ...

Grizz
Gainey tried to go to Sweden, but Sundin told him not to come as he wasn't ready to make a decision. I know I started this thread, but I truly don't think Sundin is coming to Vancouver.
I hope you are right ... apart from the fact we desperately need another top forward, I think if we got Sundin in Vancouver for two years it would be very beneficial to our younger players ... I know Linden filled a similar role but his playing time had diminished substantially ... Sundin should now be able to take over that.

Nothing is a "sure thing" though until its sealed and dealed ... At this point its all speculation ... Sundin is the only guy that really knows what is going to happen. Hopefully in the next little while though we can look forward to the new season with a smile and some optimisim.

Grizz
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Grizzly wrote: Hopefully in the next little while though we can look forward to the new season with a smile and some optimisim.

Grizz
I certainly hope so. I made a bet today with a leaves fan and a Rangers fan that the Canucks would win the cup before those teams.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Rangers will have a better shot than the leaves ... I like to think Vancouver eventually will but based on recent history you all might be pretty old before any one of them win. lol

Grizz
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Grizzly wrote:Rangers will have a better shot than the leaves ... I like to think Vancouver eventually will but based on recent history you all might be pretty old before any one of them win. lol

Grizz
Yeah I feel the same, but when a loud mouth Rangers fan is mouthing off, I had to step up.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

Molson Muscle
CC Veteran

Post by Molson Muscle »

If Sundin chooses to go elsewhere (or do other things as it were), I can actually see MG maybe breaking this down a bit and doing the dreaded R word (rebuild) which maybe isn't a bad thing really.
Rehab is for quitters
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:18 am Post subject:

If Sundin chooses to go elsewhere (or do other things as it were), I can actually see MG maybe breaking this down a bit and doing the dreaded R word (rebuild) which maybe isn't a bad thing really.

If we use the rebuild word, we might as well kiss Luongo goodbye in two years or less. Why rebuild when you have the best goaltender on the planet?
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Linden Is God wrote:
Grizzly wrote:Rangers will have a better shot than the leaves ... I like to think Vancouver eventually will but based on recent history you all might be pretty old before any one of them win. lol

Grizz
Yeah I feel the same, but when a loud mouth Rangers fan is mouthing off, I had to step up.
Thats ok ... I'd a done the same !!! Especially for my own personal feelings ... opposing a Laffs fan.

Grizz
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Molson Muscle wrote:If Sundin chooses to go elsewhere (or do other things as it were), I can actually see MG maybe breaking this down a bit and doing the dreaded R word (rebuild) which maybe isn't a bad thing really.
I'll have to disagree here. Gillis seems to be serious about winning NOW: Sundin or not. Why else would he go after Demitra? If the rumours are true, Gillis has also been asking about Gionta (Bieksa + ??? would go the other way) and Vermette (Vermette officially asked for a trade today).

I don't think rebuilding will be in Gillis' plan until Luongo's contract is up (assuming that at the time, the Canucks haven't lived up to expectations).
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Molson Muscle wrote:If Sundin chooses to go elsewhere (or do other things as it were), I can actually see MG maybe breaking this down a bit and doing the dreaded R word (rebuild) which maybe isn't a bad thing really.
I'll have to disagree here. Gillis seems to be serious about winning NOW: Sundin or not. Why else would he go after Demitra? If the rumours are true, Gillis has also been asking about Gionta (Bieksa + ??? would go the other way) and Vermette (Vermette officially asked for a trade today).

I don't think rebuilding will be in Gillis' plan until Luongo's contract is up (assuming that at the time, the Canucks haven't lived up to expectations).
I am not so sure Gillis is into either rebuilding or winning now ... I think he is in damage control mode ... he knows that he has two years before our "franchise goalie" either signs or flies so he wants to at least in the short term make things look respectable and show Lui things are happening. Hopefully by then some of our younger players have stepped up and he can then add to that.

Grizz
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I just hope Schnieder is ready to play within the next 2 years so when or if Loungo leaves we can move on.
cheers
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I am not so sure Gillis is into either rebuilding or winning now ... I think he is in damage control mode
With Bernier and Demitra in, and Naslund and Morrison out, we are (skillwise) the same team we were last year. Damage control time is over. Any moves from here should be improvements on the team.

And before I am crucified on skill level,
Naslund and Demetra are a skill level wash (IMO) and while Bernier is not as skilled a Morrison, he is more durable, has more potential, and if he fits with the twins (plays big, goes to the net, and is a RH shot) he has the potential to make the twins better, which is a wash.. heck, so long as he plays 65 games he is a wash to Mo's last 3 injury plagued "I'll plat through the pain" seasons... (Great heart and willingness to play, but for the good of the team, SIT THE FRIK DOWN!)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

Madcombinepilot wrote: With Bernier and Demitra in, and Naslund and Morrison out, we are (skillwise) the same team we were last year. Damage control time is over. Any moves from here should be improvements on the team.
Got to look at ALL the additions, todate, IMO.

At least on paper, this team should be better than the last edition, if for no othr reason than the apparent grit increase should allow the skill players to play with a little more freedom.

Could this have been accomplished by retaining Mo & Naslund ? Possibly. But it was time to turn that page.

The edition of Hordichuk/Johnson could even re-vitalize Cowan on the 4th line, IF he is retained.