Demitra signing official

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

George
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Demitra signing official

Post by George »

Mooger35
CC Veteran

Post by Mooger35 »

Great news...

One more piece needed.
Peter: Just don't forget our deal, Lois. I sit through this and later tonight I get anal. You hear me? No matter how neat I want the house you have to clean it.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

It's about time. As much as I like this signing, I was getting sick of the speculation of whether or not he was going to sign.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

Interesting comments from Courtnall in this piece:

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/ ... 3c3bb810f7

Especially:

"The biggest thing I found out about Pavol is that he's a very quiet guy, but he's so competitive and very intense," added Courtnall

Some of the highlights I've seen involving Demitra, bore this out. He does express himself.
George
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by George »

2 years / 8 million, according to Sportsnet...
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

George wrote:2 years / 8 million, according to Sportsnet...
I can accept this deal. Anything longer then 2 years at this price would have been too much.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

WoW....the hat strap will need to be adjusted if Sundin is next.

With this signing, Gillis has adressed the number one issue the team has been lacking in previous years, IMO.

Wellwood, Bernier & Demitra are all listed as RW positions.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

sic puppy wrote:WoW....the hat strap will need to be adjusted if Sundin is next.

With this signing, Gillis has adressed the number one issue the team has been lacking in previous years, IMO.

Wellwood, Bernier & Demitra are all listed as RW positions.
I think Demitra can play any forward position though. I like his versatility. I really don't see Sundin signing here, so I think the next target should be Jason Williams.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

well,
Sedin-Sedin-Bernier
Demitra-Sundin-Raymond (or Pyatt)
Burrows-Kesler-Pyatt (or Pettinger)
Pettinger (Rypien/Cowan,etc)-Johnson-Hordichuk

I am getting WAY more comfortable with our lineup.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
newostar
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by newostar »

I guess this is what the rumoured afternoon Gillis press conference is about. Annoucing Demitra and Davidson signings.

I was really hoping he was going to tell us about a big swede signing on too!

Wishful thinking I guess.

If Nonutz told us he had made a good offer to Sundin, I wouldn't have any shred of hope in it, but for some reason, Gillis seems like he is really doing all he can to get Sundin here....publicity, other signings, trying to pump up the city...getting Mattias involved..
Icebreaka
CC Veteran

Post by Icebreaka »

I'm so happy or rather relieved this deal got done. The waiting was killing me and it really adds a piece to the puzzle. I don't think we have a better lineup going into this season yet though than we had last season so if Gillis is still serious about a cup run this year he'll need Sundin to ink the contract.

Demitra will be a good fit I think, whether he's an upgrade on Naslund (considering he signed for the same money as Nazzy) is debateable but at least he comes in here with a clean slate.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Madcombinepilot wrote:well,
Sedin-Sedin-Bernier
Demitra-Sundin-Raymond (or Pyatt)
Burrows-Kesler-Pyatt (or Pettinger)
Pettinger (Rypien/Cowan,etc)-Johnson-Hordichuk

I am getting WAY more comfortable with our lineup.
Let's not jump the gun on the Sundin thing. We still have an EXTREMELY weak top 6 with only 3 players that are 'true' top line players. Bernier, Raymond and to a lesser extent Pyatt are still unknowns at this point. Sundin signing here is by no means a given.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

After these news, I think this team is more or less back to where it was at the beginning of last season... Here's why (comparing last summer's squad with the roster so far):

We lose Naslund's production but gain Demitra's... IMO, I'd say that's a push - both are left-shooting forwards with skill, but known to be soft when the going gets tough...

We lose BMo's versatility on the PK and second-unit PP and GMMG replaces it with Ryan Johnson (C) and Kyle Wellwood (C). I think this is where we lost some skill although Johnson is a big body that should add some grit on the forecheck; it remains to be seen whether he can move up to the 3rd line... And Wellwood is notoriously soft; until this past season, Ironman BMo was nothing if not resilient...

GMDN traded Cooke and got Pettinger back for an extra year; that by itself is a plus, and we also lose Cooke's turtling ways... Small plus.

We lose Trevor Linden to retirement; but he dressed for 59 games and used strictly as their 4th center; losing Bourdon really hampers GMMG's ability to swing a trade for Top 6 forward help - he can't really trade BXA without getting back a solid defenceman in return. At least Linden and Bourdon's time can be easily filled... Aaron Miller provided solid 5/6 minutes all year; I'd love to see him back for depth.

This summer, GMMG signed Darcy Hordichuk who should be more effective than Cowan in the tough-guy role and allows the Brabarian to focus on his offensive contributions :x . Steve Bernier should get a good audition with the Sedins, allowing Pyatt to slide down to the #2 line with Demitra and maybe Wellwood. What concerns me is Baumgartner - he's okay as a 7/8 guy but I'd prefer a solid defensive defenceman back there like Miller in that spot...

Of course, there's still the not-so-small matter of about $11M in remaining cap room, which DN didn't have a year ago... Maybe we can get Miller re-upped at $1M per...

Sedin/Sedin/Bernier
Demitra/Wellwood/Pyatt
Burrows/Kesler/Raymond
Hordichuk/Johnson/Pettinger
(Cowan/Shannon/Rypien/Hansen)

Ohlund/Salo
Mitchell/Edler
BXA/Krajieck
(Baumgartner/McIver)

Luongo
Sanford
(Schneider)

Overall, I think GMMG has been successful in replacing what he lost (at least on paper), while still retaining enough money grab a depth defenceman and, hopefully, Sundin. And last year's team was something like 26th in goals scored and I'm pretty sure that this group would have a tough time matching that... :mad:
Last edited by the Cunning Linguist on Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Good news ... he is a bit of a perimeter player but hopefully with some good strong wingers he can be effective for us ... interesting how this pans out with Sundin ... can't wait now til the puck drops again !!!

Grizz
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

No problem with a two year deal, the third would have been a bit troublesome. If we can add Sundin our forward corps. is pretty damn strong, but with that hole at center (no and I mean NO faith in Wellwood here) we're sunk without him.