NHLPA fires Ted Saskin.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

NHLPA fires Ted Saskin.

Post by Tukaram »

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=207292&hubname=
The NHLPA's executive board has voted in favor of terminating executive director Ted Saskin, but has not made a firm decision as of yet on the future of NHLPA employee Ken Kim.

The vote was conducted on a conference call today, in the wake of a report from the NHLPA's independent legal counsel Chris Paliare that indicated Saskin ordered the surveillance of internal e-mail accounts, a move that was reportedly conducted and executed by Kim.
nucks_girl
CC Veteran

Post by nucks_girl »

wow...there was a lot of stuff going on behind closed doors that we don't know about i guess. i hope this doesn't ruin trevor's off-season :mad:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Just a matter of time, wasn't it?

Read more on Tom Benjamin's Blog
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

Trevor might be in the line of fire, after all he's definitely at odds with a lot of people after his decision to give in to the NHL.
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

I think Trevor got himself into trouble after finding that most players wanted to give in and accept a linkage deal. In the process of pushing towards a new CBA, he overstepped his powers and didn't follow proper procedures in dealing with replacing Goodenow. I think he and perhaps a few others who shared his position made the decision to fire Goodenow. They also made the decision to hire Saskin as his replacement. The problem was that they didn't have the power to do that (it should be by vote), and they went to talk Goodenow into resignation by offering him some union money behind the back of the membership. Then they rushed hiring Saskin and ignored the request of Klatt and etc to follow proper procedures for a director search.

For the Saksin firing, you see that all 30 team reps voted on the issue, not the interim executive committee, and the 30 team reps were selected by player voting. I believe the NHLPA learned their lessons and will be following their own rules for similar situation. In this case, they are told by their lawyer that they have sufficient reason to fire Saskin with cause and not pay out further compensation. The NHLPA also has now formed a search comittee, going to hire headhunter and properly find a new director.
Last edited by Kel on Thu May 10, 2007 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*CanucksForLife*
CC Veteran

Post by *CanucksForLife* »

Wow.
Please let Gary Bettman be next.
I Hart Luongo.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

*CanucksForLife* wrote:Wow.
Please let Gary Bettman be next.
Unfortunately the owners are using email accounts that Bettman can only dream of touching.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

Thereby making Ted Saskin the George Lazenby of NHLPA executive directors.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Jyrki21 wrote:Thereby making Ted Saskin the George Lazenby of NHLPA executive directors.
Oh c'mon he almost made it through two seasons. That at least qualifies him as a Timothy Dalton.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

I can't help but wonder if this will come back to bite the NHLPA in the ass despite everything.

Firing Saskin could just lead to more strife in the NHLPA. Something which nobody wants or needs around the NHL.

If I'm not mistaken, the NHLPA could potentially veto the current cba after this upcoming season. What kind of a guy will the NHLPA look for as a replacement?

I just hope this firing isn't being done with the thought that it's time to go to war again on the cba with the owners after this upcoming season.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Seems to me there is a sort of resignation by the players to "just get things over and done with" There seems to be a split in the membership which is now well developed, animosity and back biting.

The problem with letting Saskins go and brining in a new man, with Chelios and Klatts approval, is he doesn't know the histroy or the time line for any of the CBA's past and present, Sasking did.

I would have to think it will take a long time to find a replacement and then TRY to bring him up to speed. After that he has to try and get all the sheep back in the same pen, a daunting task
cheers