Name your favourite unsung hero from the past

A forum for Canucks trivia, stats inquiries, this forum compliments our History Section database created by George Fawcett.

Moderator: Referees

MacNews
CC Veteran

Post by MacNews »

Mattias Ohlund
sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

Gus Adams was also the guy that eliminated Tranna in '94,that sent us to the Stanley Cup Final!! I can still hear Jim Robson........."The Canucks are going to the Stanley cup Final!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
That still sends shivers down my spine!!!!!!
Nick
AHL Prospect

Post by Nick »

Linden Is God wrote:I like this topic. Mine would have to be Ryan Walter and Dave Babych. Loved what they did on the ice, and when I met the team in the locker room in Buffalo back in 93, they were so nice to me and hung out me the whole time.
Over the past 20 years there have been a number of unsung hero's for the Vancouver Canucks. I would probably say, Gino, Ryan (Walter). Although there are many,t I would have to go with my gut instinct and that would be Odjick and Walter.
Nick
AHL Prospect

Post by Nick »

Nick wrote:
Linden Is God wrote:I like this topic. Mine would have to be Ryan Walter and Dave Babych. Loved what they did on the ice, and when I met the team in the locker room in Buffalo back in 93, they were so nice to me and hung out me the whole time.
Over the past 20 years there have been a number of unsung hero's for the Vancouver Canucks. I would probably say, Gino, Ryan (Walter). Although there are many,t I would have to go with my gut instinct and that would be Odjick and Walter.

These are not exact quotes as I can't remember exactly what was said, but this is the jist.
Following the game on Saturfay (11/11/06) Roberto was being interviewed by Scott Oake, they were on the phone chatting with a poker player. Once they were done talking to him, Roberto very briefly talked about his game of poker. In the mean time K. Bieksa was being interviewed outside the dressing room by a reporter who said "Roberto is talking about joining the Poker tour, what do you think of that?" Kevin Bieksa replyed "He should win a few games for this team before he joins celebrity poker".

Now my husband insists they were talking about poker, myself, I think that Bieksa was kinda dissing the goalie. Can someone please answer this burning question.

Nick
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

Dennis Ververgaert.

A Canuck first round choice , scored alot of goals, won some memorable fights( Dave Schultz, Battleship Kelly) and was exciting to watch.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
McIntyre
AHL Prospect

Post by McIntyre »

John McIntyre, won some important faceoffs and shut down some pretty good players in the 94 run to the finals.

Garth Snow. He tied a club record for shutouts with arguably the worst team in Canuck history. Also, he was the only Canuck to chase down Marty McSorley after he tried taking Donald Brashear's head off. He was a real team guy and did all that was asked of him. Still not enough to convince Crawford he could be number 1.
"Last season, we couldn’t win at home and we were losing on the road. My failure as a coach was that I couldn’t think of any place else to play."
-- Harry Neale - 1980
Nanaimo_Nuck
CC Rookie

Post by Nanaimo_Nuck »

Jyrki Lumme was always one of my favorite Canucks... so quiet and calm on the blue line, not a big hitter but had a good stick and offensive flair
Nanaimo_Nuck
CC Rookie

Post by Nanaimo_Nuck »

Another one of my unsung heros was Tim Hunter... crooked nose and all

Him and Gino were the tough guys that protected the team
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Nanaimo_Nuck wrote:Another one of my unsung heros was Tim Hunter... crooked nose and all

Him and Gino were the tough guys that protected the team
Tim Hunter was a great team guy. Here's another name:

Dana Murzyn. Steady defenseman who was great for Vancouver in the '90s.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

Good memories.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

Jim "House" Sandlak is my guy. Gary Valk would be a close second though.
R.I.P. Luc.
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Bartman wrote:Jim "House" Sandlak is my guy. Gary Valk would be a close second though.
Gary Valk is the poster child for 'unsung player'. Never got a lot of attention, worked hard, was effective on the ice in his own way.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Geoff Courtnall. Run into him sometimes at the gym here in Victoria. Love the local products, always wished Sakic would retire in Vancouver.
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Martin Gelinas was a sweet player....great speed & had a couple of great years with the Canucks
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
LuongoIsNirvana
AHL Prospect

Post by LuongoIsNirvana »

Curt Fraser. There was always someone with more points, goals and penalty minutes. He never had the biggest role - but I absolutely loved that guy. He could score, hit and fight.