2022 Training Camp

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Re: 2022 Training Camp

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:48 pm -If JT can still bet 100 points with Pearson on his wing then just wow. Pearson will get a chance really earn his keep. I like Pearson just didn't see him as a fit much longer bit this line could change that for him. But will his wingers be able to skate with JT?
I think this is the coach also looking at line matchups - JT has been talking a lot about being better defensively, which I'm sure has been discussed behind the scenes in terms of him matching up against other team's top lines. Pearson is a dependable 200ft player, and can help. Boeser isn't yet that defensive of a forward, so I assume that's why some other more offensive winger like Kuzmenko or Garland isn't with Miller/Boeser.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I expect Pods to take a few steps forward, but the dark horse is Kuzmenko.

His ability to do what he was signed to provide will see the dominos start falling as the season progresses.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

JT Bure. Fastest guy in the west
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:10 pm JT Bure. Fastest guy in the west
Darn tootin’
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:13 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:10 pm JT Bure. Fastest guy in the west
Darn tootin’
Shades of McDavid and Mogilny
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:00 pm Faber is posting a bunch of clips of the scrimmage play:

https://twitter.com/ChrisFaber39

How does Quads feel about this?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:29 pm
SKYO wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:00 pm Faber is posting a bunch of clips of the scrimmage play:

https://twitter.com/ChrisFaber39

How does Quads feel about this?
Quads is my paisano, he’ll be fine
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:38 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:35 am Myers pairing with Dekeyser has the potential to be nightmarish.
As soon as I read that - that silly circus song went off in my head.

Defending in our zone, with that pair
For me, it was this.

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Carl Yagro wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:16 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:30 am It’s that awesome time of year when the 3 old married people stop polluting every thread while bitching at each other as to who is the worst GM of the past.. or at least it slows down some.
I thought this was your job, MCP? Doesn't this stand for Marriage Counselling Professional?

:P

Love what's coming out of camp today. Everyone seems so focused and ready, like there's some kind of "unfinished business" message going on.
lol.. yeah, not so much :D :D
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

All this time I thought the 3 old married people MCP speaks of brought colour, intrigue, flare, respect, insight, community, love and honour but most importantly - wisdom, to the table
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:49 pm All this time I thought the 3 old married people MCP speaks of brought colour, intrigue, flare, respect, insight, community, love and honour but most importantly - wisdom, to the table
Close...
--------------------

CA posted the training camp lines, suggesting they could be opening night lines:
(Boudreau did insinuate that he has unlimited line combination possibilities in his head, after all.)

Tanner Pearson – J.T. Miller – Brock Boeser
Conor Garland – Bo Horvat – Vasily Podkolzin
Andrey Kuzmenko – Elias Pettersson – Ilya Mikheyev
Dakota Joshua – Jason Dickinson – Curtis Lazar

Oliver Ekman-Larsson – Quinn Hughes
Danny DeKeyser – Tyler Myers
Jack Rathbone – Luke Schenn
Travis Dermott – Tucker Poolman

Forwards look capable, but I'm not planning a parade based on the D. Hopefully, the forwards and Demko can make up for those shortcomings.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

You have to admit, that's a pretty decent and deep forward group, with guys like Hoglander and Lockwood, who have NHL experience waiting in the wings. These guys seem to all be on the same page, just focused and motivated to finally start consistently competing for the playoffs. You can see the resolve in the guys who've been here awhile during interviews, like Brock.

The starting goalie should be in the Vezina running. The backup? Huge question marks.

While the D corp, other than Hughes, does not look very impressive, remember not too long ago our 1A Dman was a greasy-haired, injury-proned Tanev? This forced an aging, mistake-prone 1B Edler to play top-pairing while babysitting a tiny dancer from Richmond. Doesn't look so bad now, does it?

JR & Baldy has some time and maybe a few regulars on the roster to do something about the backend this season, especially if new and younger pieces make older ones redundant.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Curmudgeon wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:37 pm
JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:38 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:35 am Myers pairing with Dekeyser has the potential to be nightmarish.
As soon as I read that - that silly circus song went off in my head.

Defending in our zone, with that pair
For me, it was this.

A Myers-Dekeyser pairing has the potential to be a grand side show within a show.

el rey del mambo
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Things to watch, has Pearson lost a step or two?

Will Bruce, unlike the Trevasty that preceded him, make early cuts and get down to a starting roster early instead of the last day?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:27 pm Things to watch, has Pearson lost a step or two?

Will Bruce, unlike the Trevasty that preceded him, make early cuts and get down to a starting roster early instead of the last day?
Well he's has said repeatedly that he wants to start with camp that is as close as possible to his opening day roster. So I see 1-2 positions up front up for grabs and 1-2 on D. So we may some some tinkering in the bottom six and the bottom D pairing. other than that I think we will see line shuffles. He has said the team has to be ready game one and the only way to do that is get set at camp.

Who do we really have in a battle for a roster spot anyway? DeKeyser? Hoglander? Lockwood? Not much else I think.
The only HW the Canucks need