2022 Training Camp

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

2022 Training Camp

Post by Cornuck »

Camp opens today! :D

Not sure if we'll see any surprises to the final lineup in the 3 days.

Roster

I guess we'll see Hughes line up on the right side.
How will Kuzmenko look? With the other Russians around, he should be somewhat comfortable for his first NHL games.
Will we see Höglander and Boeser come ready play with new focus?
Are Rathbone and Lockwood ready for the next step?
Any goalies going to take the backup spot from Martin?
Any longshot you see making the opening night roster?

It surprises me each year to see how short "training camp" - but with 7 pre-season games starting Sunday, I guess camp is really extended through that.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: 2022 Training Camp

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Exciting times, favourite time of year for me when training camp kicks off.

- where Hoglander ends up in the mix
- is Podkolzin going to take another step in his game
- what do we have in Kuzmenko
- Mikheylev and does he help us in those areas we needed - PK
- Lazar does he improve the 4th line
- do we see the Petey of old to start the season
- has Boeser returned to old Boeser
- Lockwood and Rathbone ready for prime time full time duty
- getting to know this Joshua character
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

It’s that awesome time of year when the 3 old married people stop polluting every thread while bitching at each other as to who is the worst GM of the past.. or at least it slows down some.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:30 am It’s that awesome time of year when the 3 old married people stop polluting every thread while bitching at each other as to who is the worst GM of the past.. or at least it slows down some.
I agree, I’m hoping Doyle eases back some on his antics.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:30 am It’s that awesome time of year when the 3 old married people stop polluting every thread while bitching at each other as to who is the worst GM of the past.. or at least it slows down some.
Hear hear! Hoping the Mods have a little less leash on these posts, and keep them to the thread they belong in, now that camp is starting.

To also add to the questions this year - if Spencer Martin does retain the backup position, is he capable of playing 25 or so games in the NHL at a high level to allow Demko to rest, and be ready for what we all hope is some playoff action. We are going to need both goalies to steal us games again this year, with the same D-core coming back. The last two years have been a bit soft beyond Demko.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:26 am
Hear hear! Hoping the Mods have a little less leash on these posts, and keep them to the thread they belong in, now that camp is starting.

To also add to the questions this year - if Spencer Martin does retain the backup position, is he capable of playing 25 or so games in the NHL at a high level to allow Demko to rest, and be ready for what we all hope is some playoff action. We are going to need both goalies to steal us games again this year, with the same D-core coming back. The last two years have been a bit soft beyond Demko.
Here’s hoping… 8-)
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Chef will be behaving now that the whacky off season has come to a close
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Spencer Martin will just will end up being a stopgap. I mean, he's only played 9 NHL games in his entire career and he's 27. So a bit of a long shot to become a regular. Lack of a bonafide backup speaks to the cap issues at the moment.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:26 am

what if a mod is part of the problem?

Runs away and hides with 2 fingers of the good stuff 8-)
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Some of the camp combinations are interesting.

Pearson gets to start with Miller and Boeser, great opportunity for him.

Pettersson with Kuzmenko and Mikheyev. I'm surprised Pettersson wasn't lined up with one of Boeser or Podkolzin.

Hoglander with the two new Swedes destined for Abby is not a good sign for him.

Horvat between Garland, on the left, and Podkolzin. Sweet situation for Horvat.

Dickinson centering Lazar and Joshua when he's the worst on faceoffs of the three.

Myers pairing with Dekeyser has the potential to be nightmarish.

Dermott with Poolman, might surprise as a depth pair getting easier minutes.

The Abby line of Klimovich, Wouters, and Nielsen was mentioned by Boudreau the other day, well deserved too, and they'll impress with Nielsen pushing for a Canucks two-way deal. Wouters could get one after Nielsen. Of the Abby lines, this is the one I'm looking forward to seeing how they size up in exhibition play and on D, it's Keeper and Kannok Leipert.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I thought this was your job, MCP? Doesn't this stand for Marriage Counselling Professional?

:P

Love what's coming out of camp today. Everyone seems so focused and ready, like there's some kind of "unfinished business" message going on.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Curmudgeon wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:35 am Myers pairing with Dekeyser has the potential to be nightmarish.
As soon as I read that - that silly circus song went off in my head.

Defending in our zone, with that pair
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Tanner Pearson – J.T. Miller – Brock Boeser
Andrei Kuzmenko – Elias Pettersson – Ilya Mikheyev
Conor Garland – Bo Horvat – Vasily Podkolzin
Dakota Joshua – Jason Dickinson – Curtis Lazar
Nils Höglander – Nils Aman – Linus Karlsson

Oliver Ekman-Larsson – Quinn Hughes
Danny DeKeyser – Tyler Myers
Jack Rathbone – Luke Schenn
Travis Dermott – Tucker Poolman

Bruce has said he wanted to start with the combinations being as close to season opening as he could.So we know there will be some changes but perhaps not too many?

- How long will Dickinson last? Yes he has the worst f/o % of the three but things can shuffle for taking draws right?
- Where does Lockwood fit? Doesn't seem that he does
-Not surprised on the Hoglander thing. Bruce was not high on him and whenever Allvin has been asked he doesn't really say much. For whatever reasons he is in the outhouse. That is why I advocate trading him while still may have value.
-If JT can still bet 100 points with Pearson on his wing then just wow. Pearson will get a chance really earn his keep. I like Pearson just didn't see him as a fit much longer bit this line could change that for him. But will his wingers be able to skate with JT?
-Bo finally getting a chance to have some O on his wings. Better get that contract done now!! :mrgreen:
-Interesting with Pettersson getting two Russians.
-The Pods is getting a shot to really break out with those other two. Good!

On D

-Were is Burroughs?
-Where is Keeper?
-Is DeKeyser just front in centre because he is on a PTO and they want good look at him?
-Unless we move Hughes back to the left boy are we light on the left side now. Maybe that's why there is room for DeKeyser.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Pearson is a solid player but he just doesn’t excite the Chef, same with Dickinson, but who knows maybe we see their value this season. Hoglander is going to have to fight for his life as it seems, you just hope this doesn’t screw with the kids confidence because he’s the kind of player that relays on a certain level of cockiness in his game

Looks like Miller will have to do all the skating on his line
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Faber is posting a bunch of clips of the scrimmage play:

https://twitter.com/ChrisFaber39
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.