Trade Rumours & Armchair Pipe Dreams 20-21-22 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade Rumours & Armchair Pipe Dreams 20-21-22 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:15 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:10 pm If JR can find a taker for the Giraffe then keeping all of Boeser, Miller, Hoirvat and Garland is a possibility.

Wouldn't it be something if he could pull that off eh ;)
I like our core forward group:

Miller
Petey
Boeser
Horvat
Podkolzin
Hoglander
Garland

I’d keep our 4th line of Highmore, Lammikko and Lockwood but try to move out Dickinson and Pearson’s contracts

To gain more cap space, figure out how to get out from under OEL, Myers and Poolman.
Maybe we can find somneone who likes Myers the way Ottawa seems to like Hambone.

They're out there apparently, though you wouldn't think they would be. It only takes one.
el rey del mambo
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Mëds wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:25 pm do you pull the trigger on Forsberg
No need...we already have Linus "Forsberg Clone" Karlsson joining the fray next season

Put the money on the mutherfucking black hole of a defense
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:32 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:25 pm do you pull the trigger on Forsberg
No need...we already have Linus "Forsberg Clone" Karlsson joining the fray next season

Put the money on the mutherfucking black hole of a defense
Bigly time

We need more structure defensively instead relying on Demko to save the day, not sure what Forsberg brings to help that, plus we need a lot more sandpaper which why keeping Miller over replacing him with a Forsberg is by far the better way to go.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:56 am
Arbour wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:27 pm
UWSaint wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:41 am But at the end of the day, the most important thing about the differences between the offseason and deadline markets is this: JT Miller was almost certainly "available" at this deadline. If not being actively market by the club, there's no way Allvin took a call from a GM and said, "we are not interested in hearing what you have to say, JT's untouchable." To be sure, the club's willingness to trade Miller factored in the collateral impacts to the club still clawing for a shot at the playoffs and the less transparent evaluation of the team as a whole, but I am fairly confident the club was running the marginal benefits (or not) of trading at the deadline. Of course the club could have got the evaluation wrong according to the calculus Esq. or Mëds or whoever might use, but my sense is that they know what they are doing and they aren't particularly emotionally invested (or sunk costs invested) into the current composition of the team, and therefore were pretty steel-eyed about their evaluation of offers and their demands.

The last thing to consider in all of this is that unless Miller is injured or has a huge decline in performance next year (like 60 points or fewer), he'll still be a very tradeable asset at the deadline next year. So what's given up is the marginal value of "two playoff runs," and I've never studied the question, but my guess is that the difference is a little less that you might imagine when you are looking at higher end players.
Teams are also allowed a certain cap overage in the off season as well, which makes it easier to move assets around in the off season as long as their ducks are in order by opening day.

As to your above points out there is no doubt the Canucks fielded inquiries about Miller at this years TD, and I as you state even at next years TD Miller still remains a very tradeable asset. I would add and can only assume the business side also weighs heavy on any decision management makes in their considerations regarding Miller. Trading your best forward and then not making the playoffs would be a PR nightmare, reflected no doubt in ticket sales and in particular season ticket sales, and while fans don't care about playoff revenues the PHO had better.
Hanging onto this best forward and walking him to UFA after 0 -5 playoff games would be a worse nightmare. A decision (trade or signing) needs to happen between now and UFA season. You don’t start next season with Miller on the last year of his deal. Would be the height of stupidity. Same with Horvat. Figure it out.
I agree completely Blob, if this team is serious about keeping Miller the best time for a deal to be made is during this off season, and similarly if they are at an impass, the best time for trading him is in the off season. Ideally it allows for a "hockey trade" rather than the acquisition of an asset to plug a hole at the TD, when buyers are presumably not lottery teams. It should be a priority for Canuck management, one way or the other.

However the above depends on a number of things, including what offers are made for Miller if the decision is to trade him. If Canuck management feel Miller is being undervalued, or the return is not what they are looking for I would suggest they enter the season rather than take less than what he is worth. Yes its a gamble but sometimes the market dictates how the game is played. There any number of variables that can effect how deals are done and the timing of those deals. Just sayin.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

If JR can work his magic and move out Myers or Larsson (and if Poolman does us a solid and goes on LTIR Ferland style with his bum noggin) he can then solidify the defense with a more cost efficient player than what we have back there on the right side. Miller, Garland or Boeser could land us exactly what we're looking for there. We had that in Schmidt of course but Greener was hell bent on messing that up...
el rey del mambo
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:40 pm . We had that in Schmidt of course but Greener was hell bent on messing that up...
He played the right side left handedly...Green couldn't wrap his ECHL brain around that
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:15 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:10 pm If JR can find a taker for the Giraffe then keeping all of Boeser, Miller, Hoirvat and Garland is a possibility.

Wouldn't it be something if he could pull that off eh ;)
I like our core forward group:

Miller
Petey
Boeser
Horvat
Podkolzin
Hoglander
Garland

I’d keep our 4th line of Highmore, Lammikko and Lockwood but try to move out Dickinson and Pearson’s contracts

To gain more cap space, figure out how to get out from under OEL, Myers and Poolman.
I actually liked what we saw from Highmore. He's tenacious and quick, and other teams just seem to hate him. He's not a super yappy pest, at least not that I've noticed, but he definitely gets under the skin of opponents, and 10 goals and 24 points from a 4th liner isn't a bad thing. Ideally you'd like to see that line be able to take regular shifts on the PK too.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Latest rumour de jour from Friedman is that the Canucks are actively exploring the trade market for Ekman-Larsson. No surprise there.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Arbour wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:37 am Latest rumour de jour from Friedman is that the Canucks are actively exploring the trade market for Ekman-Larsson. No surprise there.
I think this is real
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Arbour wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:37 am Latest rumour de jour from Friedman is that the Canucks are actively exploring the trade market for Ekman-Larsson. No surprise there.
This was reported a week ago on Canucks Army, another media mouth piece taking another article and then running with it as their own.

https://thecanuckway.com/2022/05/10/cou ... offseason/
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Nobody is taking OEL at 7.25 x 5 unless they get a first or they send an equally shitty contract back. Not to mention he has a full NMC. Or unless Elmer gets another GM gig.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:58 am
I think this is real
Why wouldn'tthey be trying to trade him?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:05 am Nobody is taking OEL at 7.25 x 5 unless they get a first or they send an equally shitty contract back. Not to mention he has a full NMC. Or unless Elmer gets another GM gig.
Oh it’s real alright JR will getterdun.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cornuck wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:20 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:58 am
I think this is real
Why wouldn'tthey be trying to trade him?
Real as in not that they are trying to trade him, but real as in THEY will trade him. It’s the process in to making room to extend your best player - The Pennsylvanian!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:05 am Nobody is taking OEL at 7.25 x 5 unless they get a first or they send an equally shitty contract back.
A first round pick?? :wow:

C'mon, the contract's not THAT bad!

He's a very solid top-4 dee who can run a PP and kill penalties FFS.

Why all the hyperbole all the time Blobby?

Oh yes, Elmer acquired him so he must suck/ have the worst contract in the history of mankind.

We see what you're doing Blobert. :hmmm:

You're invisible now, you've got no secrets to conceal.

Retain a little and you can get a decent asset back for him...
____
Try to focus on someday.